1,143 results
All reviews village market kaya spa jiko restaurant african art boutique hotel shopping mall united nations beautiful hotel common areas rooftop bar business trip rooms are nice nairobi traffic masai mara long flight embassies kenya
Reviewed October 26, 2016

If you are looking for a little escape, for a bit of money, Tribe is a good place for that. You will find good service, relaxing atmosphere with attention to detail, and really good food that will cost quite a bit. It is worth it for a date night.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shawn W
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2016

Dear Shawn W, many thanks for your review. We are happy to learn you had a great time at Tribe! Until soon again! Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed October 26, 2016

We had a pleasant stay at Tribe Hotel and enjoyed every minute. The staff were good and quite helpful. We were attanding a pre-wedding function and the venue was fantastic for the right crowd and service was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jayesh D

Dear Jayesh D, many thanks for your review and your compliments. We hope we can welcome you again in close future. Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed October 25, 2016

I've stayed at the Tribe multiple times, and recently concluded a multiple-week stay at the hotel for a business trip (I actually relocated to Sankara mid-way through after giving up on trying to have a stress-free stay at Tribe). Long story short, if you're going for business or a longer stay...there are numerous better options available at the same rates in Nairobi with staff that are responsive to your needs. The staff are extremely friendly, but if you have an actual issue about your stay they won't be able to provide any solutions. If you are here in and out on a safari for a few days, you will hardly notice (which is why there are probably so many positive reviews here). But if you stay longer than a few nights, beware.

While the hotel looks very chic and well-designed, it's not built for comfort and full of maintenance issues. During my stay, I've had a sink leaking everywhere, flush buttons on the toilet not function, battery in the electronic key card dies, broken TV, you name it. Each time, it took the hotel staff 8+ hours to fix the issues. I asked to be moved due to a flooding sink, agreed to wait for maintenance, and after no one came to fix it I was finally given another room three days later. When the battery in the door died, I was locked out of my room for hours just sitting in the lobby while they said someone would fix it soon. If you try to be patient and accommodating, they just take advantage and waste your time even more. Staff will tell you to just go back to your room and wait, you don't hear from them for hours, go down to the front desk again, they tell you the same thing. I wish they focused more on helping you with your issue than having a pleasant attitude and doing nothing.

The rooms are also very dark and small and the hotel can get quite loud because of the events they have. When I checked in they also tried to put me in rooms that hadn't been cleaned from previous occupants. After two attempts, they finally told me I can wander around the nearby mall while they clean a room. Odd considering it was a late evening check-in and they were aware of my arrival.

I like Sankara and Kempinsky in Nairobi a lot better, but I tend to stay at starwood/designer hotels for the frequent-stay perks as do my colleagues. However, two months later and countless emails to the Tribe Hotel staff, I still haven't received hotel points for my stay or a response to my emails. When you take away that perk, there's not really any reason to choose Tribe so my colleagues and I will likely stay elsewhere for our next visit in Dec. I wish starwood and designer did some quality control on the hotels they let into their alliance because as a platinum member is kind of outrageous...I've contacted them about the issue as well.

***Side note: I see that the GM responds here a lot. Can you tell your staff to respond to my countless emails on the starwood points issue, I'm still waiting. I actually called a few times in recent weeks as well and was told each time someone would email me a response that day. Again, still waiting.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank mper128
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2016

Dear mper128, many thanks also to you for your extensive review. Please except my sincerest apologies. As it seems you and your colleague really didn't have a great experience here at Tribe. I am so very sorry! I wish we would have met! 10 percent of our guests are long staying guests, staying here for months and returning all the time. Whilst we are constantly checking on the functionality of the hotel equipment of course certain issues, especially maintenance issues arise on a daily basis. We put a lot of focus on preventive maintenance but with all due respect a battery, a TV and a toilet flush can stop working whilst in use just as they do in any other hotel environment or private households. Of course there is no excuse on our seemingly very slow response time to the issues as you mentioned. I will take this on immediately and will find the reason why you had such an unusual experience. Our affiliation to SPG also shall be an additional benefit to you and all our guests and should certainly not end up in frustration over points which have not been credited. Starpoints should go to your account immediately after check-out. I would highly appreciate if you could get in touch with me personally by email or by phone so I can follow up on the said issues myself. With very best regards, Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed October 22, 2016

After having trouble with our room, a shower curtain as a temporary repair for a toilet door, the manager swiftly moved us thereby solving the problem. We were celebrating a significant occassion and the hotel made it feel special. Security was brilliant and although a distance away from the airport it did have the market and large secure shopping centre adjacent. Service was excellent including a packed breakfast as we had to leave early doors before the restaurant was open.

Room Tip: All rooms very good, no excess noise, good wi fi and privacy. Good amenities.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear KENTTRAVELLERAA, thank you so much for your review. We are happy to hear that we could make your stay special. Sunny regards, Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed October 21, 2016

I've stayed at Tribe many times over the years for lengthy business trips as it is conveniently located to many embassies and the UN. It was always average - not great, not terrible. However, after my latest stay, I will not return. I ended up moving to the Sankara hotel midway through my trip as I preferred sitting in Nairobi traffic to staying even one more night in the Tribe.
Pros: Good location in a safe neighborhood, close to a mall and restaurants.
Cons:
-Obnoxiously loud events during the week. The hotel hosted extremely loud events every other night during my stay. I understand that the hotel is trying to make money, but this occurred to the extent that they clearly do not care about their guests staying at the hotel. Their repeated promises that they would "monitor noise levels" were an absolute joke. I could clearly hear the music even with earplugs and repeated attempts from my colleagues and me to address the issues. I slept terribly the entire time there.
-Constant construction. The walls are thin, and you can hear everything happening in the pool area or adjacent rooms - no matter what floor you are on. There's no common sense here and they will start hammering away early in the morning (after a long, loud event the night before of course).
-Water heater issues. I spent multiple days without any hot water in my room. When the issue was finally "fixed," the water would fluctuate from scalding hot to freezing cold several times during the length of a shower.
-Poor wireless connectivity. I requested a router for the room several times and received responses of "yes, of course right away!" There was never any follow up or recognition that I had asked multiple times for the same service.
-Issues processing Starwood preferred guest (SPG) points. If I'm going to pay out the nose for a dump like the Tribe, I would at least expect they'd be able to figure out the point system. None of my colleagues or I have received points on our accounts after long stays and Starwood continues to refer us to the Tribe, who are of course unresponsive and unhelpful.
-Unresponsive staff. Despite repeated attempts to address all the above issues, the staff would always just say they will fix it and never do. Most of the staff are polite but completely ineffective. There were also a couple cases of overly friendly male staff with my female colleagues - repeatedly asking for business cards/mobile numbers, calling the room to say hello. I am entirely certain the Tribe will respond to this saying that they will do everything they can to fix the issues - but I've heard that enough and am fed up with it.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank vordersg

Dear vordersg, thank you so much for sharing your experience here on tripadvisor. I am terribly sorry that you must have had such a bad experience. Tribe is indeed a hotel which is famous and most favorite for a lot of events, which though always have a start and an ending time in line with all official regulations. We also do inform our in-house guests beforehand about the events as we certainly do care about our guests, hence our extremely high occupancy and many repeat guests. I surely have no explanation how we could not provide you with hot water for multiple days? I therefore understand your decision to move to another hotel completely though I wish we could have had a conversation whilst you were here. My office with large glass windows on 3 sides is situated directly opposite the reception and my door is always open for any visitor. It is a pity that we missed each other as of course it makes a lot of sense to find resolution in a conversation considering how immense unsatisfying your stay was. The affiliation to SPG via Design Hotels is a great benefit to all our guests and we indeed follow the instructions of SPG on how to post starpoints. If you kindly could get in touch with me personally I will ensure I follow this through for you. Best regards, Stephan - One Planet One Tribe