1,124 results
All reviews village market kaya spa jiko restaurant african art boutique hotel shopping mall united nations beautiful hotel common areas rooftop bar business trip nairobi traffic long flight embassies kenya gym security
Reviewed October 27, 2016 via mobile

Initial impression is Wow - lovely hotel; good service; lovely friendly staff.

Location is great - near village market ( not a market but name of a mall) where you can find most types of shops; nail bar, photography; jewellery; shoes; clothes; pharmacy and a supermarket andplaces to eat ( recommend artsy cafe).

We arrived at 11:30 pm ; the restaurant had closed but the receptionist organised the restaurant to serve us food as there were so many of us (12) Great service.

Initial impression was great but it is one of those hotels where design aspects took over practical considerations. The lifts did not open onto the lobby but opened with brick wall in front of you so difficult to navigate as even after 3 nights we could not find our way round to the lobby naturally. We had to stop and think. When in the lobby there were 2 open entrances on the left one to restaurant and one to the conveniences and it was not easy to find your way round. Minor point but "flow" just did not work. Never been to a hotel where
" flow" just doesn't work. It bugged all of us but did not ruin our stay except I wish I could access the mirror to get dressed as we were there for 3 nights of wedding celebrations. Fantastic service for the celebrations by the poolside.

In the room; there was a mirror but it had a stool in front of it to put your cases so no easy access to the mirror. That's the design aspects.

Location was great, service was excellent; staff were great; breakfast was brilliant. So I would give 4 stars out of 5. It bugs me when owners put design before practicality or don't take advice from architects or interior designers or simply employ not so good interior designers.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vina P
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2016

Dear Vina P, thank you so very much for your review and your input. We really appreciate the feedback and we are thrilled that you had a great time with us. Tribe surely stuns with exceptional design and it can be great fun to explore the hotel. I am sorry that the brick wall in the lower floor made you loose your orientation, that surely is not the intention. I am though very happy to receive feedback we never had before as it makes us look even closer at what we provide to our guests. We hope we can welcome you again soon and remain with sunny regards, Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed October 26, 2016

Second time staying here and another great visit. Desk is very helpful at arranging transportation around town and making sure details of your stay are taken care of. Definitely will stay here again in future.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Margaret L
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2016

Dear Margaret L, thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled you had a great time with us and are looking forward to see you again very soon. Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed October 26, 2016

If you are looking for a little escape, for a bit of money, Tribe is a good place for that. You will find good service, relaxing atmosphere with attention to detail, and really good food that will cost quite a bit. It is worth it for a date night.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shawn W

Dear Shawn W, many thanks for your review. We are happy to learn you had a great time at Tribe! Until soon again! Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed October 26, 2016

We had a pleasant stay at Tribe Hotel and enjoyed every minute. The staff were good and quite helpful. We were attanding a pre-wedding function and the venue was fantastic for the right crowd and service was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jayesh D

Dear Jayesh D, many thanks for your review and your compliments. We hope we can welcome you again in close future. Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed October 25, 2016

I've stayed at the Tribe multiple times, and recently concluded a multiple-week stay at the hotel for a business trip (I actually relocated to Sankara mid-way through after giving up on trying to have a stress-free stay at Tribe). Long story short, if you're going for business or a longer stay...there are numerous better options available at the same rates in Nairobi with staff that are responsive to your needs. The staff are extremely friendly, but if you have an actual issue about your stay they won't be able to provide any solutions. If you are here in and out on a safari for a few days, you will hardly notice (which is why there are probably so many positive reviews here). But if you stay longer than a few nights, beware.

While the hotel looks very chic and well-designed, it's not built for comfort and full of maintenance issues. During my stay, I've had a sink leaking everywhere, flush buttons on the toilet not function, battery in the electronic key card dies, broken TV, you name it. Each time, it took the hotel staff 8+ hours to fix the issues. I asked to be moved due to a flooding sink, agreed to wait for maintenance, and after no one came to fix it I was finally given another room three days later. When the battery in the door died, I was locked out of my room for hours just sitting in the lobby while they said someone would fix it soon. If you try to be patient and accommodating, they just take advantage and waste your time even more. Staff will tell you to just go back to your room and wait, you don't hear from them for hours, go down to the front desk again, they tell you the same thing. I wish they focused more on helping you with your issue than having a pleasant attitude and doing nothing.

The rooms are also very dark and small and the hotel can get quite loud because of the events they have. When I checked in they also tried to put me in rooms that hadn't been cleaned from previous occupants. After two attempts, they finally told me I can wander around the nearby mall while they clean a room. Odd considering it was a late evening check-in and they were aware of my arrival.

I like Sankara and Kempinsky in Nairobi a lot better, but I tend to stay at starwood/designer hotels for the frequent-stay perks as do my colleagues. However, two months later and countless emails to the Tribe Hotel staff, I still haven't received hotel points for my stay or a response to my emails. When you take away that perk, there's not really any reason to choose Tribe so my colleagues and I will likely stay elsewhere for our next visit in Dec. I wish starwood and designer did some quality control on the hotels they let into their alliance because as a platinum member is kind of outrageous...I've contacted them about the issue as well.

***Side note: I see that the GM responds here a lot. Can you tell your staff to respond to my countless emails on the starwood points issue, I'm still waiting. I actually called a few times in recent weeks as well and was told each time someone would email me a response that day. Again, still waiting.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank mper128
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2016

Dear mper128, many thanks also to you for your extensive review. Please except my sincerest apologies. As it seems you and your colleague really didn't have a great experience here at Tribe. I am so very sorry! I wish we would have met! 10 percent of our guests are long staying guests, staying here for months and returning all the time. Whilst we are constantly checking on the functionality of the hotel equipment of course certain issues, especially maintenance issues arise on a daily basis. We put a lot of focus on preventive maintenance but with all due respect a battery, a TV and a toilet flush can stop working whilst in use just as they do in any other hotel environment or private households. Of course there is no excuse on our seemingly very slow response time to the issues as you mentioned. I will take this on immediately and will find the reason why you had such an unusual experience. Our affiliation to SPG also shall be an additional benefit to you and all our guests and should certainly not end up in frustration over points which have not been credited. Starpoints should go to your account immediately after check-out. I would highly appreciate if you could get in touch with me personally by email or by phone so I can follow up on the said issues myself. With very best regards, Stephan - One Planet One Tribe