“Nice but has room for improvement”
Review of Tribe Hotel

Tribe Hotel
Ranked #6 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 28 October 2016

Pros
Lovely property and well decorated. The reception and cleaning staff are quite nice. Its right next to Village Market so pretty much anything you need is within a short walk.
Atmosphere is nice and the evenings tend to chill with pleasant music in the common ares. Enjoyed the Nest and drinks.

Cons
Noise - From large parties on the pool or in the main hall, to brunches with music, events in the Nest, etc. it seems there is always something going on. Also, worth mentioning there is construction on the east side of the hotel which fills the day with noise from that site. If you are a light sleeper bring ear plugs, actually just bring in plugs in case. Over the course of a few weeks I tried a few rooms. The windows have a loose seal and are only single pane glass. Any noise outside the window transmits right through. I could easily hear conversations of staff standing below the window. The room doors are also a primary point of sound. Thankfully the walls are stone which deflects some sound.

Water - temperatures vary wildly and it can be impossible to the water to stay a constant temperature. This has be design/demand issue as mid-day the temps are more stable.

Internet – The internet has about the same wild variability as the water temperature does. During my time here I could go half a day without internet but more frequently it was a few minutes to a half hour a day. Regional outages are common in Nairobi and this lead to one lost day of work. The more frequent connection issues however were on the local network. From the rooms I was in it was difficult or impossible to have a VOIP phone call back home. Also, VPN connections were sometimes problematic.
Having run a wi-fi signal meter it indicated that the average strength was -70db or below. Not surprising given the stone walls but it could be addressed by access point placement or even in-room connections. Moving to pool is not always preferable/ideal when a good internet connection is necessary.

Cleanliness – Overall a very clean hotel. The daily cleaning is thorough. That said in the junior suite there a slightly musty smell which dispelled after running the AC for a bit.

Junior suite – not worth it. This room trades the slightly larger regularly room for a slightly smaller room with a loveseat, coffee table and two chairs. Also you give up some storage under the desk to go into the junior suite. Unless you expect to host people in the room there the regular room is just fine. Also, the employee smoking area is directly below the window (remember that single pane glass?) so there is often a clatter of voices and smoking just outside. For us this meant we could never open the window and enjoy the breeze.

Food - Service in Jiko restaurant does not match what one would expect from this boutique hotel. The breakfast offers a wide selection of food is self-serve items. However, when it comes to coffee you can't just pour some yourself. While cups are often/sometimes on the table it is necessary to find someone and stop them to request coffee. This process may/will have to be repeated for coffee refills. If you have a busy morning and are time crunched ask for coffee as soon as you arrive in the restaurant and mention that you have to eat and run.

Overall the food quality is good however there can be a lot of variability in the same dish. When I ordered a dish more than once I would get different sides and a differently prepared main dish each time. Points awarded for quality but points lost inconsistency.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank KayaWinn
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2016

Dear KayaWinn, thank you very much for your very extensive review. We appreciate the time you took to share your experience here on tripadvisor and we take all points very serious. Unfortunately as it seems, we did not receive any communication from you whilst you were with us as we could have surely corrected accordingly immediately where we went wrong. With best regards, Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

Initial impression is Wow - lovely hotel; good service; lovely friendly staff.

Location is great - near village market ( not a market but name of a mall) where you can find most types of shops; nail bar, photography; jewellery; shoes; clothes; pharmacy and a supermarket andplaces to eat ( recommend artsy cafe).

We arrived at 11:30 pm ; the restaurant had closed but the receptionist organised the restaurant to serve us food as there were so many of us (12) Great service.

Initial impression was great but it is one of those hotels where design aspects took over practical considerations. The lifts did not open onto the lobby but opened with brick wall in front of you so difficult to navigate as even after 3 nights we could not find our way round to the lobby naturally. We had to stop and think. When in the lobby there were 2 open entrances on the left one to restaurant and one to the conveniences and it was not easy to find your way round. Minor point but "flow" just did not work. Never been to a hotel where
" flow" just doesn't work. It bugged all of us but did not ruin our stay except I wish I could access the mirror to get dressed as we were there for 3 nights of wedding celebrations. Fantastic service for the celebrations by the poolside.

In the room; there was a mirror but it had a stool in front of it to put your cases so no easy access to the mirror. That's the design aspects.

Location was great, service was excellent; staff were great; breakfast was brilliant. So I would give 4 stars out of 5. It bugs me when owners put design before practicality or don't take advice from architects or interior designers or simply employ not so good interior designers.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vina P

Dear Vina P, thank you so very much for your review and your input. We really appreciate the feedback and we are thrilled that you had a great time with us. Tribe surely stuns with exceptional design and it can be great fun to explore the hotel. I am sorry that the brick wall in the lower floor made you loose your orientation, that surely is not the intention. I am though very happy to receive feedback we never had before as it makes us look even closer at what we provide to our guests. We hope we can welcome you again soon and remain with sunny regards, Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed 26 October 2016

Second time staying here and another great visit. Desk is very helpful at arranging transportation around town and making sure details of your stay are taken care of. Definitely will stay here again in future.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Margaret L
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2016

Dear Margaret L, thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled you had a great time with us and are looking forward to see you again very soon. Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed 26 October 2016

If you are looking for a little escape, for a bit of money, Tribe is a good place for that. You will find good service, relaxing atmosphere with attention to detail, and really good food that will cost quite a bit. It is worth it for a date night.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shawn W

Dear Shawn W, many thanks for your review. We are happy to learn you had a great time at Tribe! Until soon again! Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed 26 October 2016

We had a pleasant stay at Tribe Hotel and enjoyed every minute. The staff were good and quite helpful. We were attanding a pre-wedding function and the venue was fantastic for the right crowd and service was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jayesh D

Dear Jayesh D, many thanks for your review and your compliments. We hope we can welcome you again in close future. Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed 25 October 2016

I've stayed at the Tribe multiple times, and recently concluded a multiple-week stay at the hotel for a business trip (I actually relocated to Sankara mid-way through after giving up on trying to have a stress-free stay at Tribe). Long story short, if you're going for business or a longer stay...there are numerous better options available at the same rates in Nairobi with staff that are responsive to your needs. The staff are extremely friendly, but if you have an actual issue about your stay they won't be able to provide any solutions. If you are here in and out on a safari for a few days, you will hardly notice (which is why there are probably so many positive reviews here). But if you stay longer than a few nights, beware.

While the hotel looks very chic and well-designed, it's not built for comfort and full of maintenance issues. During my stay, I've had a sink leaking everywhere, flush buttons on the toilet not function, battery in the electronic key card dies, broken TV, you name it. Each time, it took the hotel staff 8+ hours to fix the issues. I asked to be moved due to a flooding sink, agreed to wait for maintenance, and after no one came to fix it I was finally given another room three days later. When the battery in the door died, I was locked out of my room for hours just sitting in the lobby while they said someone would fix it soon. If you try to be patient and accommodating, they just take advantage and waste your time even more. Staff will tell you to just go back to your room and wait, you don't hear from them for hours, go down to the front desk again, they tell you the same thing. I wish they focused more on helping you with your issue than having a pleasant attitude and doing nothing.

The rooms are also very dark and small and the hotel can get quite loud because of the events they have. When I checked in they also tried to put me in rooms that hadn't been cleaned from previous occupants. After two attempts, they finally told me I can wander around the nearby mall while they clean a room. Odd considering it was a late evening check-in and they were aware of my arrival.

I like Sankara and Kempinsky in Nairobi a lot better, but I tend to stay at starwood/designer hotels for the frequent-stay perks as do my colleagues. However, two months later and countless emails to the Tribe Hotel staff, I still haven't received hotel points for my stay or a response to my emails. When you take away that perk, there's not really any reason to choose Tribe so my colleagues and I will likely stay elsewhere for our next visit in Dec. I wish starwood and designer did some quality control on the hotels they let into their alliance because as a platinum member is kind of outrageous...I've contacted them about the issue as well.

***Side note: I see that the GM responds here a lot. Can you tell your staff to respond to my countless emails on the starwood points issue, I'm still waiting. I actually called a few times in recent weeks as well and was told each time someone would email me a response that day. Again, still waiting.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank mper128
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2016

Dear mper128, many thanks also to you for your extensive review. Please except my sincerest apologies. As it seems you and your colleague really didn't have a great experience here at Tribe. I am so very sorry! I wish we would have met! 10 percent of our guests are long staying guests, staying here for months and returning all the time. Whilst we are constantly checking on the functionality of the hotel equipment of course certain issues, especially maintenance issues arise on a daily basis. We put a lot of focus on preventive maintenance but with all due respect a battery, a TV and a toilet flush can stop working whilst in use just as they do in any other hotel environment or private households. Of course there is no excuse on our seemingly very slow response time to the issues as you mentioned. I will take this on immediately and will find the reason why you had such an unusual experience. Our affiliation to SPG also shall be an additional benefit to you and all our guests and should certainly not end up in frustration over points which have not been credited. Starpoints should go to your account immediately after check-out. I would highly appreciate if you could get in touch with me personally by email or by phone so I can follow up on the said issues myself. With very best regards, Stephan - One Planet One Tribe

Reviewed 22 October 2016

After having trouble with our room, a shower curtain as a temporary repair for a toilet door, the manager swiftly moved us thereby solving the problem. We were celebrating a significant occassion and the hotel made it feel special. Security was brilliant and although a distance away from the airport it did have the market and large secure shopping centre adjacent. Service was excellent including a packed breakfast as we had to leave early doors before the restaurant was open.

Room Tip: All rooms very good, no excess noise, good wi fi and privacy. Good amenities.