All reviewsgame drivesnairobi national parkrelief managerfantastic lodgewooden bridgelions roaringdriver guidewhite rhinogreat hostsmajor citymain gatesafari experiencewilson airportgreat place to starthoneymoon suiteshort driveinternational airport
Reviewed April 22, 2018

Hard to believe that such tranquility and excellence is within Nairobi. There's nothing not to love from the food, the rooms, the service with such warmth and hospitality and mama Rachel hovering just to ensure all is well. We absolutely loved it and can't wait to be back

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Emandant, Owner at The Emakoko, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2018

Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again,

Sorry to have missed you.

Anthony & Emma

Reviewed April 17, 2018

The food was excellent the accommodation first class and the game drive conducted was just out of this world! An amazing experience with wonderful staff and excellent hosts, nothing was to much trouble and the facilities were second to non. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank richardclarkgog
Emandant, Owner at The Emakoko, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2018

Thank you for your review - we are so pleased that you enjoyed everything!

Anthony and Emma

Reviewed April 3, 2018

As many have written, this lodge is a wonderful oasis! Its short distance from the airport makes for a nice landing or exit spot in and out of Nairobi. Anton and the staff were great and very welcoming for our family of 4 that got in quite late but still had a nice meal and better smiles to start our vacation. We got our introduction to the animals as well as a nice environment to relax and reset our mental time clocks. The chef was happy to fix us a local meal with ogale and beef stew upon request for something more typical of the region than the delicious fare normally presented. Hopefully they are still playing "Spoons" as we laughed through the evening playing cards with the staff when their tasks were done. Rooms were gorgeous, our guide Sammy was great....we loved the Emakoko!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank cstuhr
Emandant, Owner at The Emakoko, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Thank you for your review - lovely to have you here.

Anton

Reviewed March 28, 2018

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect; as a safari lodge 'in' the park which is 'in'/next to the city. I was totally blown away. I loved it.
First, it's quite easy to get to, well, let's be fair, it's AS easy if not easier than anywhere else in Nairobi (as many know Nairobi traffic is horrific, but once at the park gate you only contend with potholes and wildlife and the potholes are worse in the city...), so don't let getting there put you off. I was off my flight and in the car and then at the bar within 40 minutes of landing...again, it's quite easy on my departure date with a day room too, I compared to other passengers I knew in the airport and my 40 minute journey to Jomo Kenyatta was the best that day.
Second, what an escape from the city! I arrived in the dark but awoke to be immersed in the park, it was magical! Although you can see much of the city from the Nairobi national park, the Emakoko is in a riverine and so the city is totally hidden. Despite being right next to the city the park is full of game (except elephants) and so you can see lions, leopards and other animals from the property ( you're lucky)
The service and the food and drink were great (despite an upgrade to the kitchen going on!). I don't agree on the portion size as there were always seconds and third portions being brought out - and the so the food and drink was very free flowing!
I loved the hosts Anton and Emma they're fun and knowledgeable and their enthusiasm is infectious. They were excited to swap stories about Kenya and traveling and show you their 'resident' genet/dik dik/bush baby!
Their guides are also great and great fun and can show you the park and surrounding areas. The one guide managed to get me to the airport in time for me not to miss my flight to London (well done Ahmed!).
The general areas are lovely, wonderful fire place and views. The rooms were comfortable, large beds/bathrooms and deck. Half of their 10 rooms are 144 steps up and have great views, which I loved, it's a hike upwards, but you're treated to bird like views which are worth the hike.
We cannot wait to be going back to Kenya and when back in Nairobi we'll be staying here. As a small aside, it is more expensive than an overnight at the airport hotel, but it offers so much more and if you're spending a night or two (or more) in Nairobi why not get away from the city and start your holiday or business trip with some fun and in style?!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank lovesafari222
Emandant, Owner at The Emakoko, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2018

Thank you for going to the trouble to write such a detailed and lovely review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the lodge and hope that you will come back!

Anthony and Emma

Reviewed March 26, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely loved this place. Upon entering you instantly forget the traffic of Nairobi or wherever else you are coming from. The food is fantastic (though if you are a big eater you may want to come along with some snacks as portions can be small.) Game drive was a pleasant surprise. I was really not expecting to see so much in this park with the city in the distance. My only reason for not providing a 5 star was that I did not receive responses to emails. I understand from friends living in Nairobi that this is fairly common however for the lodges in Kenya so recommend calling if you need information.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank PurplePapillon
Emandant, Owner at The Emakoko, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2018

Thank you so much for your review and I do apologise for not responding sooner to your emails. Thank you for your other helpful comments and we do hope you will come back!

Emma & Anthony