See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

We stayed at The Oakwood for one night. I suppose for the price we can’t really complain. Cold shower was a problem, bathroom was kind of falling apart...other than that it was fine. Situated in the centre of Nairobi so close to some good restaurants. Staff were friendly, breakfast was very average... All in all nothing to get excited about and will do for an overnight stay enroute to your next destination.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Madahotels_11, Guest Relations Manager at Oakwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hello Gerry,

Thank you for the kind reviews.
We appreciate the fact that you enjoyed most of your stay with us.
We strive to bring excellence in all our services.
We have taken note of your concern and prompt action is being taken to rectify the issue.
We hope you come and stay with us the next time you are in Nairobi for an even greater experience.

Regards

John
GUEST RELATIONS | Oakwood Hotel

Reviewed December 23, 2017

A small hotel in the center of Nairobi. We just stayed there for 2 nights but chose to godt outside the hotel for lunch and dinner as the menu was very poor and the prices too high.
Even the bathroom was a deathtrap. Didnt have a separate shower so you had to climb up into the bathtub and getting out of it while it was still wet was extremely dangerous and made me fall down. I told the manager this the following day, hoping they could provide something to make it more safe, but no I will not visit this place again unless it was an emergency.

Stayed: January 2017
1  Thank piafuglsanghald
Reviewed March 11, 2017

After an 18 hour car, rail and plane journey, I could have slept on the floor, which would have been an improvement on the slab of rock that appeared to comprise the bed. This hotel was dark and depressing, so badly lit that it was like Blind Man's Buff feeling one's way around. The shower and sink taps needed new washers and dribbled all the time. The lift was broken, which meant lots of stairs, and the poor doorman had to sit all day on a stool with broken springs. There was no comfortable lounge in which to relax, but there was a small balcony with a couple of chairs from which to enjoy the chaos of central Nairobi, Any advantages? Central, inexpensive, nice staff and near The Stanley Hotel, where I consoled myself with a splendid lunch (take your wallet). I believe the Oakwood is part of a group, the Mama of which is supposed to keep an eye on it. I would advise her to book a night there, Only a masochist would return

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2017

After an eighteen hour car, rail and plane journey, I could have slept on a floor - which would have been more comfortable than the slab of rock which appeared to comprise the bed. This hotel was dark and dismal, so badly lit that it was virtually impossible to pick anything out of an open suitcase. The taps in the shower and basin needed new washers and leaked all the time. The lift didn't work, which meant lots of stairs. There was not a comfortable lounge in which to relax, but there was an old balcony with a couple of chairs from which to enjoy the chaos of central Nairobi. Any advantages? Central, cheap, nice staff and close to The Stanley Hotel, where I consoled myself with a magnificent lunch (take your wallet). I believe the Oakwood is part of a chain, the 'Mama' of which is supposed to keep an eye on it, so I would advise her to book herself in for a night. Only a masochist would go there twice.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2017

I booked 2 nights at this place in August 2016. When we arrived at 5pm we were told that the power was down and was being fixed. I also booked a double room which I did not get, a triple instead with no doubles available. We were told to go and have some dinner and come back later and the power should be fixed. We returned at 10pm and still no power. The elevator didn't work so had to use the stairs without lights, just a couple of gas lights and candles on the staircase, barely light enough to see the stairs, dangerous, never heard of OH&S here folks. So without power, no showers (they offered a bucket of warm water for the 3 of us to wash?? No lights, no TV, no kettle, no power to charge phones, computer etc. So wife checked Sentrim 680 around the corner which had a room, so I asked for refund and was told they couldn't refund without managers approval who was not there and couldn't call as no power. Was told a refund would be coming and despite a number of emails later, I never received one. This place is so unprofessional it is a joke. Best to try elsewhere

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family