Review Highlights
Good effort and strong massage

Reviewed June 12, 2018
TheRidge_Mgmt
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Worst Spa Experience Ever!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

from US$395.00
from US$580.00
from US$1,980.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Imagine a spa experience where you’re on-site for one hour and twenty minutes and your actual pre-scheduled “service” still hasn’t even begun yet (when you were originally supposed to leave in ten minutes time from then!)!

First, there was no one manning the front desk even in the early afternoon when I arrived for my prescheduled appointment. After 15 minutes waiting and shouting “hello” there’s was no response. I then walked throughout the entire facility and found nothing. After another 15 minutes I called the owner (Tony) with whom I had made the appointment (emphasizing then that my schedule was tight) and he says “no problem”. Actually, this is a problem!

It only gets worse, much worse, from there. When I was finally greeted properly and given the price list (matching the prices I found online), I was then escorted to a locker room to change. However, because the facilities still weren’t ready, I was forced to take a steam I didn’t want that was much too hot. When after five minutes I was having trouble breathing, I got out, but had to stand in the hallway dripping with sweat because the shower in wash room didn’t work. There was almost no water pressure and the hot water was completely broken on top of that. It was either stand under a trickling cold water shower head or stay dripping with sweat in the hallway to cool down - neither one being acceptable. Finally, 30 minutes from the start, I was lead to my massage room when the bait-and-switch began. Supposedly the prices I’d found online, matching the prices I was given in writing in the brochure in the lobby just a few minutes earlier, were both wrong - and all the prices miraculously increased by 500 shillings each.

An illogical conversation with a new person ensued where the woman claimed “there’s a new brochure now with the correct prices” and that I was given the wrong (old) one by mistake - yet when I asked to see the new brochure (after another five minutes waiting), it couldn’t be found.

Another phone call to the owner later and I agreed to the inflated price, even though he refused to honor the published rates, as the clock was ticking and I really need to leave soon for the airport.

Then the bait and switch of service providers happened where the nice woman (Brenda) who previously handled me from registration through preparation (despite all the aforementioned problems) was swapped with the rude woman with the negative attitude who wouldn’t honor the brochure that actually exists’ prices. I was so uncomfortable with her that I called the owner (again, now for the third time!) and got more of the same “no problem” about switching back to Brenda. After laying on the massage table another 15 minutes, one hour and 20 minutes after first arriving, I simply got up and got dressed and left completely unsatisfied.

Of the more than 500 spa visits I’ve had in my lifetime, this is by far the worst and most unprofessional one ever. The business actually claims in its adverts it’s “under new, better management” which reflects on how bad their reputation must be that they need to trick customers to come back and give them another chance. DON’T FALL FOR IT AND GO ELSEWHERE!!!

1  Thank PokerPro123
Reviewed July 11, 2018

Visited healthland spa and i felt fresh and new.The best massge ever got in Nairobi.The team Makena does a great job.Thankyou cominng back again.

Reviewed June 12, 2018

My husband and I went there since we were staying a few blocks away and we both had great massages. It's a small place, they even had a small make shift steam room we went in before the massage. The ladies were very professional and the one my husband got was very strong. She gave a good deep tissue massage which he was in need of since he does a lot of running and cycling. It's not the typical pretty looking spa that we are used to but I liked that they are trying hard. I give them 4 stars for effort and professionalism. It's very basic but if you are in need of a good treatment, these ladies know what they're doing. Value for money too.