All reviews the river hot water great comfort hippos and crocodiles safari camp two nights morning wake up call small pool resident hippo solar power enjoyed my stay luxury tents wonderful experience bush lunch game drives packed lunch fire pit
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had a family stay in early Oct. The location is excellent, right on Mara river. We were able to view all the big mammals within a few kilometers of the camp.Staff was very courteous and ensured everything was proper and that we had good experience. Food was also excellent. Highly Recommended.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We chose this camp over many others simply based on the fact that it was right on the banks of Mara river, amidst and close to the hippos, which u could hear thru the night snorting and grunting, often felt just outside of the tents, something one can never forget!
We even saw a carcass of a wilde beest perhaps washed down stream being feasted upon by a few crocs! The food was fabulous and special mention and thumbs up to chef Francis and his team did a great job accommodating to our specific food preferences, as many of us in the large group were vegetarians! And just after stepping out of the camp nearby were a pride of lions, which was a big bonus! Wifi in common areas was adequate and considering the location being so remote was much appreciable. All staff were helpful, tents were well and tastefully appointed.Will recommend without hesitation!

Room Tip: All tents face the river but some will be a little distance from the dining areas, we were in tent 4 and 5.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank satish s
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The location is excellent for seeing the hippos and crocs, the hippos are noisy at night (I am a light sleeper).

The staff was friendly and helpful.

The camp was pleasant; I would say it is a standard camp not luxury. The tents are flat on the ground, not a raised platform. One day we came back from a drive and our tent zipper was wide open, about an hour after that a black mamba was seen near the dining tent. We were told they can’t slither on the tarp around the tent, but it still wasn’t a great comfort. We were not warned about black mambas at our welcoming speech. After that sighting we were looking in trees, watching the ground etc. Please advise people in the future, as we were just walking around merrily not watching out for this.

The tents were large enough, for the most part a functioning bathroom. We didn’t have hot water issues as other reviewers indicated, however there were instances where the toilet didn’t flush properly and it took a couple of attempts, which is a shame because it is a waste of water. I noticed a lot of places don’t provide face clothes for bathing; please consider this for the future.

The food was good and plentiful when it was prepared to order, not so much when it was the buffet. They didn’t seem to have a handle on the quantity required and it was mostly Indian food on the buffet. The staff were accommodating if you asked for something different, it just took more time. We never went to the breakfast buffet so I can’t comment on that. Our driver always had the kitchen prepare a breakfast basket for us to eat on the safari drive, they provided so much food, it almost seemed like they were feeding a small army.

Unfortunately I ended up getting very sick on the day of our departure, early in the morning around 3 am, not sure if it was food poisoning or if the glasses in our tent were washed with contaminated water, or improper cleaning of facilities. I can’t really pin it down. I know my husband and I ate the same food the night before from the buffet, but I can’t remember if we ate the same thing at lunch. It was a horrible journey back to Nairobi and even worse flights. I ended up having to get antibiotics once I arrived home.

I honestly can’t say for sure it was the food as other reviewers have mentioned, but something at this lodge caused me severe stomach and intestinal issues. I think this lodge needs to specifically focus more on training their staff on better sanitary practices for food handling and preparation, cleaning of dishes and the tents etc.

For the most part we enjoyed our stay here, however our expectations are higher for something classed as luxury.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2018

The Mara Eden Safari camp really has it all...superb staff and excellent food, as well as lots of extras that make this place very special . The area offered excellent wildlife viewing and we even saw the beginning of the migration as huge herds of wildebeests began their journey. In camp, the rooms were spacious with good showers and robes, and they even put hot water bottles in our beds in the evenings. Each morning, coffee and cookies were delivered to our tent door, so the mornings began with coffee in bed while looking out at the river (which had several hippos, and crocodiles also if you strolled down the shore a few minutes). Though we didn't use it, this lodge has a pool and offers massage. On our last night, high on the rocks above the river, the staff served us appetizers and cocktails around a sunset campfire. The Mara Eden camp is one I would highly recommend. Definitely one not to be missed.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2018

Very pleasant camp and staff, with nice river views and the perfect size for a typical safari experience. This camp is well located in the mara, and you can see lots of wildlife without even leaving your tent front just from animals drinking in the river there.We slept well, the food was great, and the staff always pleasant and helpful.The only 2 things to be aware of are:1- none of the drinks are included in your booking. We knew that in theory but thought water at the table for lunch and dinner was included since we were getting bottles everyday for free in our room anyways so we were surprised when they presented us with a bill for this at the end of our stay...2- if you are nervous about wildlife, note that hippos are quite loud at night and do get in the camp sometimes. They have security guys walking with guests everywhere after nightfall for that reason but you will for sure hear animals around your tent during the night so just expect that. :)

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple