All reviews outdoor shower including internet hand held shower all inclusive plan huge bath masai mara game drives took care of our every need his team free standing bath final morning every meal best experiences of my life walkie talkie luxurious camp cooked breakfast animal sounds
Reviewed May 29, 2016

My first visit to the camp was in February 2016. Upon arrival, i was awed by the tranquility and location of the camp. Located on the banks of the Sand river Mara, the camp is awash with wildlife. Having done numerous trips to the Mara, our first game drive was spectacular, loads of animals and on our return to camp last light, voila a leopard right at the entrance to the camp.

Food was amazing, and the staff are great. Ammazing place to be at.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
ElewanaCollection, Manager at Sand River Masai Mara, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2016

Thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated. We are very fortunate with our setting, amongst these giant old trees right on the banks of the Sand River! Great that you got to see one of the area's resident leopards so close to the Camp too.
We hope your first visit will not be your last, and we look forward to hosting you at Sand River again soon!
With best wishes,
George & Theresa and all our staff team

Reviewed May 2, 2016 via mobile

We had a wonderful weekend at sand river. The camp is beautiful and luxurious. The Tented rooms are absolutely stunning.
Joseph our waiter made us feel at home. He was very well trained and attended to all our needs. His attention to detail is impressive.
We would like to thank Tim and his team. We had a fantastic time and will definitely return.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
ElewanaCollection, Manager at Sand River Masai Mara, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2016

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your weekend at Sand River, and we have passed on your wonderful comments to Joseph.
He too is very happy that you felt at home with us, and we all look forward to your return, hopefully in the near future. Thank you once again for letting us know that you had a fantastic time.
Best wishes,

Reviewed March 28, 2016

Sand River is a Luxury Tented Camp I would not recommend for groups with children. It's located along the Sand River in the Mara bordering Tanzania. The camp is not fenced and we were informed that all types of wildlife freely visit the camp - I think this is what makes this camp fascinating. The tents are very luxurious indeed and the view from the every tent overlooking the river is great!

We were a group of 12 with 4 children and 8 adults. There was another group slightly smaller than ours also with children. The only reason I've rated our experience as average is because of the overall dining experience. The camp has an 'anytime' meal service serving a la carte meals which means that the chef and the kitchen can get very overwhelmed.

We stayed 2 nights and unfortunately found that for all our meals, the team got our orders wrong, with long delays in service and eventually when the food did arrive, it was not as described on the menu with key ingredients missing. Portion sizes were not consistent. There was only 1 personal butler (Collins - who tried his best) serving us - 12 of us so you can imagine the pressure on him, to the point he had to get the chef visit us personally to apologise.

At this time of the year (March) being very dry, most of the game is located very far which meant the game drives were way too long - 5 to 6 hours on average. This was fine but coming back to the camp hot, hungry with little kids and finding that the food took forever and not what we ordered was not a pleasant experience.

One of our group members fell very ill during the trip and needed to see a doctor. Beatrice, the Camp Manager was extremely caring and personally escorted our member to another camp about an hour away where a resident doctor was available.

Our guides/safari drivers Newton and Henry were awesome. Very knowledgeable, informative and ensured we saw the best the park had to offer given the time of the year.

I would recommend this camp in the months when the migration occurs and only if you are in a small group.

Room Tip: All tents had a good view
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
ElewanaCollection, Manager at Sand River Masai Mara, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2016

Dear Bijay
Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at Sand River Masai Mara. We are delighted that you enjoyed our luxurious accommodation and that our drivers, guides and Beatrice took great care of you. Wildlife numbers and distributions are not static in the Mara and, during the low season the majority of animals, both herbivores and predators, can be more easily seen in the short grass areas further afield. It's such a shame that your dining experience did not meet your expectations - we have looked into this, as your feedback is extremely important to us. The main cause for the delays and confusion was due to going the extra mile to serve dishes that were not on our set (nor a la carte) menus but prepared specifically for your family. We pride ourselves on being able to host groups and families of any size, and sincerely hope we have the opportunity to demonstrate this to you in the future.
Once again, thank you very much for your very valuable feedback.
Kind regards

Reviewed March 7, 2016

I love Sand River Camp!! This was the last camp I stayed at during my Tanzania/Kenya safari. The river was high when I was there and my tent was situated right above it. This was such a treat for I could hear the river day and night! I have to say, the tent itself, #6, was one of the most beautiful permanent tents I have ever stayed in! Everything was perfect! I loved how I had not only a spacious bedroom but a sitting area as well. I loved the privacy and I especially loved being nestled within the trees! The birdlife was incredible as well as the leopard and baboon I saw across the river. Special thanks to Collins who did everything he could to make my stay enjoyable. Oh, and I can't forget one of the most important things - I had WiFi in my room!! Yay!! First time this has happened in a very long time. Usually, I must work on my laptop in the lobby area when I am on safari. This was great since I was at the end of my safari and had so much to do on my laptop! Sand River Camp is so special, in so many ways, and I can't wait to take a group there!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a view.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
ElewanaCollection, Manager at Sand River Masai Mara, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2016

Dear Denise
Thank you for such an incredible review - we really enjoyed reading your comments and of course hosting you during your stay. Look forward to seeing you back here again soon!
Best wishes
Tim and all at Sand River Camp Masai Mara

Reviewed February 16, 2016

I found this perfectly positioned camp, well balanced between private and interactive as well as in the bush yet luxurious. The food was also amazing! I was not too fond of the outside shower however, I felt it was a little too detached to my room.

Internet in the main area, they could have upgraded this by now

Room Tip: All rooms are located facing the river with ample space between. Should you not want to walk for long then request room close to main area.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business

Dear Sammy
Thank you very much for your very kind comments, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We were saddened to hear that you felt the shower was a little too detached from your room - all our outside showers are positioned to afford the best possible view across the Sand River in to the Serengeti, Tanzania.
You will be pleased to know that wi-fi is no longer confined just to the public areas, but is accessible in all our guest tents too.
Once again, thank you very much for your wonderful feedback.
Best wishes