“A PRECIOUS JEWEL THAT IS HIDDEN IN KENYA!!”
Review of Siana Springs

Siana Springs
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I never knew that camping in the wilderness, will give me a luxurious and an amazing experience; unlike traditional camping where you get to stay in the backwoods like a caveman.

my experience in siana springs maasai Mara was awesome. it gave us a taste of naked wilderness. the springs, fish ponds and swamps all over the camp, variety of animals like velvet monkeys, Columbus monkeys, mongoose, bush tops ,and a number of birds, what else can one ask for?

The staff are super qualified as they gave us first class services. the food was terrific!! imagine getting your delicacy in the bush.
the rooms were very neat and tidy with warm water.i couldn't imagine a tent with a shower, this was nice.

WiFi in the bush, we could video chat and Skype with friends.
we saw all the big five , and because we were the luckiest, we saw a kill, not one but multiples. it was fun i tell you.

how else will you experience the jungle life if you did not meet bumpy roads and you were not rained on. my friends and i had to walk on the lawns and experience the tropical showers after a full day game drive.

i will come back again.. Siana springs tented camp maasai Mara should be on my bucket list..

Room Tip: How do you want your room/food to be? just alert them and it will be done!!!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 September 2017

Siana Springs is a great camp and the overall nature makes it all unique.
The staff were very friendly and helpful for the whole stay.
The tents were very clean and perfect for getting a real feel of being in Africa on safari! The camp site is beautiful too; bush bucks roaming around outside, Columbus monkeys chattering above the tents and vervet monkeys playing on the lawns in front of the tents. The food was great and the view from the 'restaurant' was lovely.
If you have kids, they seemed to enjoy the activities and attentions of the Masai etc who are part of the camp staff. They have a swimming pool too and our kids enjoyed swimming in the evenings after a long day safari. By the way, there seem to be genuine mutually beneficial links with the local people who are Masai.

Yes it is a 15 minutes drive to the Mara Sekenani gate but an interesting drive at that. A little Bumpy road too but it adds to the ambiance!
We stayed 2 nights which was a good time to see so many animals; all the big 5 including a leopard! On the second day we left with packed picnic lunches so that we could spend the whole day in the park. Overall, It was a very unique experience.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 3 September 2017

I've just come back from a 2-night stay at Siana Springs - there were 9 of us in the Group. Firstly, I think they have a great product here - lovely tents, idyllic location, nice bar, pure nature everywhere you look (monkeys and deer wandering around you on the grounds), impressive facilities including wifi and swimming pool (neither of which we expected). When we first arrived, I think we were all pleasantly surprised - it took us 6.5 hours to reach from Nairobi (4 hours on road and 2.5 hours offroad). As we were only here for 2 days and 2 nights, this was very much a short trip.

The camp is around 45 minutes drive from the main Masai Mara park - this is a very bumpy journey so brace yourself. We would typically leave the camp at the crack of dawn (7am after breakfast) and, as we were on full board, the hotel would provide a picnic lunch so we could maximise our time watching animals. Masai Mara is stunning - we saw all of the Big 5 game animals with the exception of the Rhino. I would highly recommend a visit of the Masai Village which provides a fascinating insight into how Masai tribes live.

Whilst we thoroughly enjoyed our trip, unfortunately, we encountered various organisation issues around Siana Springs which caused various frustrations during our trip. This did have a negative impact on our overall experience and include:

- we arrived and was given a tent number by the check-in desk. We advised the porter who took us on a 6 or 7 minute walk to tent. We unpacked, used the facilities and relaxed. However, it turns out that the porter took us to the wrong tent - it became awkward when other guests arrived at the tent which we had settled. After some negotiation, we agreed that the guests take our tent. Mistakes happen but this caused issues with room billing, morning calls etc (i.e. we had to refer to the a tent number which wasn't ours).
- on our first full day, we agreed to leave the camp at 7am. To have a full day at Masai Mara, we arranged for a picnic lunch. As 2 of our Group were vegetarian, our tour guide emphasised that we should tell the chef the night before. We duly told the chef the evening before that we had 2 guests who were strictly vegetarian. Because of the early start, the vegetarian guests did not make breakfast. At around 1.30pm, they realised that the hotel had provided vegetarian options. This created considerable discomfort from us all - they only food they were able to eat all day (7am - 7pm) whilst on safari was some chips, a banana. We were all disappointed in this oversight from Siana Springs.
- We were tired / hungry after a full day of safari - the following day we had booked for a balloon trip which required a waking up at 4.30 (before sunrise). We were therefore keen to have an early dinner and go to bed early. The restaurant opens for evening meals at 7pm . on the menu was sausage, beef steak and pork chops........unfortunately the meat was nowhere to be seen. The veg, rice, potatoes, salad was read but the main event, the meat, was 'not ready'. We asked the staff and was told that it was coming - meantime everyone in the group had places ready. It was not until 7.43pm that the meat was ready. Very disappointing.
- On our final day, I tried settling my bill using my credit card. I was told by the lady that the machine was 'out of power' and that they could only take cash. I had 4,000 shillings left in my wallet which I had kept for our driver so didn't have any other Shillings / USD. I was fully expecting the camp to accept credit card (as advertised). I suggested to reception that she take my credit card details and debit my card when the machine had power - but she insisted I pay cash (which I didn't have). Eventually, we were running late and, embarassingly someone from my Group gave me USD. Reception insisted that they didn't have change.......so again I feel like I was left shortchanged (one of my other group members mentioned the same). I was very disappointed in this experience.

This is in addition to the swimming pool not being in operation (from reading an earlier review in July 2017, this seems to be a similar 'temporary' issue) and the wifi being slow / not working - however, I don't see these features as being an essential part of a safari experience and I wouldn't want to be too critical of these aspects.

Despite all the issues faced, I still like this place. They have such a good product and I really would have loved to have given this 5 stars......however, given the various service issues we encountered, I don't feel this would be a fair reflection.

Room Tip: Make sure you get taken to the right tent!!!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Stayed at Siana Springs July 18-20 2017 and enjoyed it. Tent was clean, nicely appointed and safe. People were great. Made us feel welcome. Food was terrific.

Sounds of animals at night is special in a tented camp experience.

It was warm and the pool would have been nice after game drive but sadly it wasn't working.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Siana_Sp, General Manager at Siana Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Thank you so much for you kind and constructive comments. Weas team of Siana family take each client very seriously ensure that the tents, accommodation, food and staff are all well prepared for our guests.
It was a pity the swimming pool was temporarily out of order due to a faulty filter. We have since rectified it andits back to normal use.
Once again please welcome back to Siana.

Paul.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

I visited Siana Springs many years ago (2000) and enjoyed my time there. I have since visited the Masai Mara 2 other times to different camps. I am planning on visiting again in July but will not go to Siana Springs. I booked through another website and Siana Springs came back and told me that the high price they were charging did not include game drives. It was going to be an additional 1200 dollars for the game drives. This property is DEFINITELY NOT a 5 star property. You can easily find another property of similar quality and even ones of 5 star quality for less money. I highly suggest you not book at Siana Springs.Trip Advisor will certainly help you find a better deal.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Sir,
I take this opportunity to thank you most sincerely for taking your time and inform us on what transpired when you were booking Siana Springs Tented Camp.
I notice that you been coming to Mara very often and you lastly stayed with Siana Springs Tented Camp in 2000 and you enjoyed.
I regret the high charges you were subjected to pay when booking for Game drives.
Specifically, our rates are based on accommodation and wish to know if they explained why they were charging so high, for how many days or Game drives you would require. Getting a jeep and driver Guide is extra charge plus also there is Park fees eachday.
With all these considerations, you can make an informed decision when you book for a safari next time.

Regards

Paul

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Our group of 4 adults and 2 children stayed at Siana Springs for 2 nights in the week 17 April 2017. This is my 7th time in this establishment and I always stay there when in Masai Mara. We have tried other places inside the park but they are no match for the cosy, natural and relaxing ambience you will enjoy at Siana Springs.
The location is great - exactly becasue it's outside the park - you avoid the crowds of matatus and SUVs in the camps and hotels, you also see a lot of wildwife on the way to/from the camp - elephant, monkey, tik-tik, zebra, giraffe, to name a few.
Then the camp - warm and family-like greetings and support (much more that service) by all staff, we felt so good and at home! There is a unique garden and an open fireplace with tree trunks you can sit on around it, and a guitar man who plays and sings African songs or whatever you want :-) - imagine this in a quiet starry evening!
Surroundings - the best hotel/camp garden I have been to, tall, impressive mature trees (rose wood, bamboo) where you can spot colobus monkeys jumping from one branch to another.
The food - delicious, by a multi-star chef I'd say, we were even asked what dish we wanted for the last dinner we had there! And you can exchange some recipes with the chef who would personally come over to your table to say hi.
The staff - warm and caring, truly treating the guests not as tourists but as friends who will want to come back.
Tents - spacious, super clean, cosy and comfy. I particularly enjoy the hot water bag tucked in the bed before sleep time.
And there is massage you can book just 1-2 hours earlier (while on a safari I asked the guide to call the camp and that was all it took) - one of the best I've ever had.

So, if you really want to get up close and personal with Mara, its people and the area, go for Siana Springs.

Room Tip: Let the reception know at what time you'll be arrving. they will send someone to wait for your v...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2017

We visited Siana Springs and Maasai Mara in early October of 2016, and it was a magical experience! First off: the garden. It was perfectly tended by several professional gardeners, and there were real tame impalas (african deer animals) walking between all the perfectly cut grass and wonderfully colored plants and trees and flowers everywhere! Secondly, the rooms: they seemed like the magic tents from Harry Potter! Never before have I seen a tent which had a beautiful and perfectly functioning bathroom inside of it! And third, the food in the restaurant: this was flawless as well! Excellent food, I had perhaps my best meals in all of Africa there. And best of all, I think, were the people working there. Kenya had struck me already as having very friendly and helpful people, yet never were people so nice as in Siana Springs. Due to a delay on the way there, we arrived quite late in the evening, around midnight, and all the staff of the hotel stayed up to welcome us personally! And they even had a spacious campfire, where a very skilled local singer with a guitar sang songs on request (and he knew a lot of songs).

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Thij v

I am the current general Manager for Siana Springs Tented Camp.

Among my duties is to make sure that clients are professionally well received and taken care of at all times.

We have engaged a professional chef to make sure the menus and the quality of the food is of the highest hygienically prepared and quality is guaranteed.

I must mention that we now have a new road to the Camp and the tents have been renovated by changing the worn out fly sheets and the inner tents.
The situation has improved very much as we continue receiving repeat clients for the last 2 years now.

There is no conservancy fee charged when staying at Siana Springs Tented Camp.

It is actually 15 km from camp to the Gate

Just give us a try and you will not regret.

Regards