All reviews ol kinyei conservancy mara camp conservancy concept game drives resident hippo roaring lions local community his team hot water maasai staff amazing wildlife nature walk eco tourism mess tent wildlife experience comfortable tents before dinner
Reviewed November 10, 2017 via mobile

This place is a dream come true, and then some! From the moment we arrived at Wilson Airport (itinerary set up by Gamewatchers) every aspect of the trip went smoothly. We were greeted by the friendliest tribe - the Masai, and continued to get to know them and their culture while having a front row view to all the wildlife activity in the bush! Whether you want to see birds, zebra, antelope, big cats, or my favorite - the wildebeest- it’s all there!! The Masai continue to take amazing care of each guest throughout their entire stay, personalizing the experience for every individual. Once they knew that I loved horses, they suggested a professional horse safari with RIDEKENYA. Between that and visiting a local Masai village, the entire experience was authentic and surpassed my greatest dreams. Special recognition to camp manager, Jimmy Lamar and his guides Bill and Stanley who went over and beyond for us. I now found my one and only true dream escape and plan to become a frequent visitor.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Megan J
Reviewed October 29, 2017

After spending a week at Porini Amboseli and Porini Rhino camps we flew into Porini Mara to meet our daughter, who was joining us for a week. The day we arrived to Porini Mara was also our wedding anniversary so we asked The General Manager, Jimmy, to help us arrange a special meal out in the bush the following day with Jimmy and all the staff. Jimmy, a consummate professional, arranged everything. It was perfect! We were able spend the afternoon with all the staff sharing a traditional meal out in the Maasai Mara. Another memorable day out with the Maasai. Thank you Jimmy and all your incredible staff :)

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Phil J
Reviewed October 19, 2017

Porini Mara was our third of 4 Porini Camps to visit. I feel like we entered a totally different world from the 1st two camps. The terrain was different, but the excellent service was the same. We were enthusiastically greeted upon arrival and equally so each time we returned to camp from a game drive. If we didn't have a beverage in our hand we were immediately offered one. We never "wanted" for anything. Our guides went out of their way to make sure we could see all the wildlife we came to Africa to see. They knew all about the animals and information we didn't know to ask for they shared with us to insure we learned all we could. The excellent food continued at this camp, just like the others. The consistancy of service between the camps is exceptional.

Room Tip: Everyone has a great view and all have the same amenities
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BriggsFancy
Reviewed September 30, 2017

I can't say enough good things about our time with Gamewatchers and the staff at Porini Mara Camp. First, Jimmy and his staff were excellent, doting on us, keeping us fed, entertained and safe--you would often awake to the roar and scurry of many a creature just outside the safety of your luxurious "tent." And then there were our truly amazing guides, Geoffrey and Philip. We spent 12 hours a day with these guys, and I don't know where they got all of their energy and grace, exploring the conservancies and Mara, searching for exceptional wildlife experiences, and delivering continuously: from relaxing cheetahs, roaring lions, migrating elephants, basking hippos, galloping giraffes, sunning crocodiles to the smell of an adolescent lion breaking into the gut of its mother's prey, or the squeal of a baby elephant as it wraps its trunk beneath its mother's belly for milk, or the fever of a volt of vultures fighting over the remains of a wildebeest while hyenas chortled with the last of its hoofs. I was so blown away by it all--and so very grateful too.

I organized the trip for 4 of us including a mother and her 13-year old boy. A pair of us arrived a week earlier for a Mt. Kenya climb while the mother/son son arrived a week later. I wanted everyone to feel safe, engaged and taken care of, and I was concerned about our different itineraries and the mother/son arriving on their own. My fears were unfounded. Gamewatchers and their team did not let us down--executing our two weeks of travel flawlessly. There was always a smile greeting us at the end of every excursion, ready to guide us to our next bit of adventure.

Beyond the pleasantries, their conservancy mission was also a prime reason I chose to embark with them, and you can see the results of their work as you stare across the horizon with wildlife thriving everywhere. GO. It's life-changing!

Finally, I must send a big thank you to Kenya and her most lovely People--we certainly miss you...

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Troysf
Reviewed September 20, 2017

We kicked off our Safari in Kenya at the Porini Mara camp, with a 2 day stay. We were welcomed immediately from the air strip and went on a short game drive to the camp. We saw giraffes, elephants, water buffalo all within the first 15 minutes!

The Mara camp is private and beautifully maintained. The staff is sensational and the food was the best we had while on Safari.

Our guide Geoffrey was incredible. He bonded with the group and was completely dedicated to having us see as much as we could. He had expansive knowledge of the land and animals, we feel like we learned so much!

At the end of our two days we felt so close to the staff at the camp, we did not want to leave! From the quality of the tents, the service/food, to the total experience, our expectations were greatly exceeded!

Thank you Porini Mara camp for the most memorable experience!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family