“Surprising Loft Apartment in Beijing Hotel”

ARIVA Beijing West Hotel & Serviced Apartment
Ranked #175 of 6,550 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We were attending a conference and, right from the beginning, the conference website indicated that "standard rooms" at this hotel were unavailable. Well, the next level, called Loft Apartment, was just a few yuan more, so we booked that.. Later we found that everyone in the conference who was at our hotel had a loft apartment.

For just a little over USD 100, we (two of us attending the conference) had a loft apartment, with full breakfasts each morning.

The loft is quite impressive... a full living room, and a full bath, on the lower floor. There is a work desk (with full net connectivity, and multi-outlet international power strip), and a nice living room, and huge 2-level window, electrically operated drapes...! There is a small fridge and a tea-coffee maker... the only thing missing is a hot plate/oven...!

The upper (loft) level is reached via a wooden staircase and includes of course the bed, the dresser, and another full bath - with a tub.

The negative of course is lugging the suitcases to the loft level... one has to be a bit careful on the "open design" wooden staircase.

The breakfast is impressive - full array of Chinese and Western dishes. We could not even sample 30% of what was on offer..!

The subway (metro) station is about 6 minutes away... though the line this station is on often required 2 changes to get to central areas of the city.

We are not sure if the rate we got was substantially lower than the regular rate, but we got a lot of hotel for what we paid.

Oh...another minor negative... knowledge of English for many staff is barely at an acceptable level, even at the front desk.

Room Tip: Seek high floor. We had 13, but 16 is the highest.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Globalist3000
TedSunSun, Manager at ARIVA Beijing West Hotel & Serviced Apartment, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for having taken the time posting your comments at Ariva Beijing West Hotel & Serviced Apartment. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Our Loft Rooms is the features guest room in our hotel, I am very happy that you liked it.
Thank you for your feedback on our staff English knowledge, we have launch a unremitting English training course to improve staff’s English so that we can provide the better and better service for customers.
Thank you once again for staying with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2011

I stayed here as part of an organized tour. While others in my group had problems with their room mine was clean and well maintained.

I was surprised that the room was split level with the bed upstairs (a spiral stair) which made getting a suitcase upstairs problematic! I also found it unusual that the shower stall was downstairs with a bath upstairs. Nevertheless my room was comfortable.

Food was adequate and the evening buffet offered variety. My only problem was that the fruit options at breakfast were too limited.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
TedSunSun, Manager at ARIVA Beijing West Hotel & Serviced Apartment, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on our breakfast, we will improve it in the future.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

We found this hotel to be very good. The rooms were extremely clean and comfortable, room service was excellent and the staff were very helpful. We were in loft rooms which were laid out very well. Our children loved it here. Internet access in the loby was free. However, please note that there was not a huge selection at breakfast time, and the swimming pool and games room were not free, there was an extra charge on these, so we didnt bother using them.

Room Tip: Definately go with the loft room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
TedSunSun, Manager at ARIVA Beijing West Hotel & Serviced Apartment, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for having taken the time posting your comments following your stay at Ariva Beijing West Hotel & Serviced Apartment. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for your feedback on our breakfast, we will improve it in the future.
And all the guest stay in our hotel can use the swimming pool and gym during stay time. They are the complimentary. If you don’t mind, could you tell us where are get the information said they are need to charge?

Reviewed 21 April 2011

Never stay here again! Service is woeful! The front office staff very rude, no English speaker at all!! I have to explain with my broken Chinese and body language, instead of solving problem, I was thrown a piece of questionnaire. Notifying the signature on the form, I asked to see their resident manager, the answer was she's not here! I have never seen this person named "Anita" during my entire stay and I'm very disappointed about this hotel. I wonder is there any management staff here to care about their guests?

Room Tip: dont stay!
  • Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank HsuDavid
AndyHu, General Manager at ARIVA Beijing West Hotel & Serviced Apartment, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2011

Dear Sir

Firstly, thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with us! I am Anita Zhang, the Resident Manager of Ariva Beijing West Hotel and Serviced Apartment!

I feel very sorry to hear that you had the very unpleasant experience with our Front Office services. I have asked the Front Office Manager to investigate the issues,

I have held a meeting with all the Front Office staff to share your feedback with them and reiterated the service standard that the hotel required and the customer expected. And if the guest wants to see the high management staff, they should immediately inform the person without any delay. I am so sorry that I was not able to receive your message that you wanted to talk to me and so as to loose a chance to communicate with you and help to solve your problems promptly. Please believe me that if I received your message, I would be very happy and honored to meet you and to listen to you because this is the most important job for me here to take care of my guest and to make my guest feel pleasant and enjoyable staying with us.

I also want to ask if you could specify some of the details that you encountered at the Front Desk which made you feel so unsatisfied if you would like to do so and if you have time, e.g. the very bad English and the staff was very rude, I do want to find out who was that person and under what kind of circumstances how could he or she do this to the guest and definitely I will give the staff a very serious punishment.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and troubles caused to you, and I do hope that you could give us another chance to make up for you and to make you feel that your last time stay experience is only an accident. You can reach me at below contact information and I will personally make the arrangement for you, and my team and I are truly looking forward to welcoming you back!!

Email address: anita.zhang@stayariva.com

Cell phone: 13910664383

Reviewed 8 March 2011

We are staying at an Executive Loft Room 1527 (one of the two biggest rooms in the hotel). I could speak broken conversational Chinese to communicate with the staff.

1) Concierge has not read the hotel brochure on what services the hotel offer. English is limited.

2) Some of the Front Desk staff takes the easy approach of not trying to find out the information you ask before calling you back often with an answer "I don't know." English is limited.

3) Dirty carpets and bedsheets are common. One day we came back to our room from a weekend trip to find a big patch of stain near the pillow. We had to ask the staff to change the sheet and the staff refused to change the sheet since it was around 10pm. I refused to sleep on those sheets and had to forcefully insisted that the sheets be changed. No English.

4) Very stingy with replacing towels. I had to ask multiple times to get a floor towel in our upstairs bathroom. I have to call to get a new one every time the room has been cleaned. No English.

5) Shared small kitchens are available for use. I tried to use it once. The pots and utensils are not cleaned properly. Also, other users tend to come to your kitchen to borrow bowls and plates. Before we finished using the kitchen, other users were already inside "my" kitchen cooking their dinner.

6) Self-service laundry service is offered. However, one of the staff is rude and inconsiderate. We called to reserve a washing machine around 2pm and could only use the machine around 7pm after physically lining up for the machine. I put in a second load around 9:15pm. However, the staff forcefully turned off the machine and locked the wet clothes inside the machine before 10pm, the time the laundry room is closed. Some of my clothes were ruined . The first day, the Assistant General Manager James Gong pretended to be the General Manager to come and see me. When I found out he wasn't GM, I asked him to follow up with the GM and asked that the staff who was responsible should be punished. However, I saw that staff on the same day of my complain. He didn't even bothered to apologized and made me feel very uncomfortable. The next day, the GM didn't contact me. I was approached to meet with the GM and the sales department representative in the evening where the GM didn't show up. Apparently, Sales Director Amy told me Anita didn't know the situation and off to Qingdao for a meeting. I told the sale reps the whole story again and told them the GM really need to apologize. On the third day, Anita introduced herself as the Resident Manager and sent me an insincere apology letter calling my husband and I as liars stating that the wash cycle was done before the staff turned off the lights around 10:15pm. I had told Amy specifically that the laundry that I started around 9:15pm could not be done before 10pm when one cycle takes two hours to complete. We remembered correctly that the time my husband went to check the laundry was before 10pm since we were coming upstairs from the Ariva Cafe before it closed at 10pm. I also found out from her "apology" letter that she wasn't in Qingdao when she refused to meet with me while her staff lied to my face. Anita tried to be nice about the situation while offering me a belated birthday cake and flowers to be picked up from the Assistant Manager even though I had specially told the Sales Rep Amy and Coco I do not want a belated birthday, which the staff forgot to send on my birthday, and I want the staff who lied to me compensate for my ruined clothing as a punishment since he intentionally lied to us.

5) The worst is the management. You would expect the top management staff in an international hotel service to be adequate in English. I tried to get someone who speaks adequate English and yet the laundry issue was not resolved. The only feeling I get was I was talking to people in cycles, who seemed to offer coffee to "calm me down", without being sincere. I asked for the email address of their GM Ronald Lodges, who seems to be active on TripAdvisor. However, no one responded. I am hoping that I could get in touch with him by posting here.

This is the worst Hotel/serviced apartment I've lived in! There is no difference staying in executive rooms since there are no perks. I am not surprised the whole place is almost empty except for the Chinese companies staff who are staying in regular small hotel rooms in the lower floors.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank hatesbeingduped
Reviewed 6 December 2010

The room was extremely spacious with a bathroom/toilet, lounge room & fridge downstairs. Beds which were situated up in the loft were very comfortable, there was also a second bathroom with a tub and shower as well as toilet. Room had two flat screen tvs one in the lounge the other in the loft. Room has an electronic safe, bathrobes, slippers and a zillion bottles of shampoo, conditioner, moisturisers, deodorants etc. They even provided shaving cream with razor, feminine hygiene kit and toothbrush kit. The toiletries they provided at this hotel was more than what I've seen in the five star hotels that I've stayed in. It seems that the staff at this hotel thought of everything that a guest may want.

The reception staff speak fairly good English. There is an ATM at the lobby which makes it easy to withdraw cash in the local currency otherwise the reception staff can also change currency.

Breakfast buffet provided a good variety of hot and cold dishes with different types of chinese dumplings and fruits. The hotel is a short taxi ride to the Summer Palace and it is within walking distance to the Imperial Garden restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
AndyHu, General Manager at ARIVA Beijing West Hotel & Serviced Apartment, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2011

Dear customer, Thank you very much for having taken the time and posting your comments. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you considered Ariva to be excellent value for money. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Thanks and regards

Reviewed 26 October 2010

The hotel is located in the IT sector and our driver informed us that it is quite a distance from City Centre . As for the lobby - no excitement visible and the hectic pace was missing .The lobby is largish , sparsely furnished and very stark compared with what one would expect in a hotel.The hotel is shaped like a donut and we were unfortunate to get the inner circle rooms- view was a small circular courtyard .The rooms and general amenities are good

The service is not upto the mark and we had a difficult time getting our complaint registered when we found that our room was not cleaned properly, morning coffe mugs not cleared and bed inadequately made .This all after we returned to hotel at night. . It was very cold in Beijing when we checked in but the heaters were not operative - result miserable cold night but management gave us a portable radiator in the room

The breakfast is ok but the dinner buffet is below expectation. We had chinese dinner the first day organised by some friends at hotel- it was gorgeous and wonderful.

Overall feel let down by the hotel attitude and services

• Stayed: October 2010