“A wonderful Hostel experience!”

Lucky Family Hostel
Ranked #20 of 982 Speciality Lodging in Beijing
Reviewed 26 October 2014

The hostel is down a couple of alleys, but still remarkably easy to find.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
The location is excellent. Easy walk tot he metro station. Plenty of good restaurants close by. Even in walking distance of popular Hutongs and other attractions, though we took advantage of the free bike rentals for 2 hours to visit them.
Plenty of good, helpful information in the lobby. The food served in the common room was tasty and reasonably priced, and it was good to have the drink fridge in the lobby to load up with.
I would definitely go back, and would recommend to others!

Room Tip: Anything off the ground floor, to avoid common room noise.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 October 2014 via mobile

At first Lucky Family can be hard to find from the station, but it's not far at all!

I stayed in a 6 bed dorm with my girlfriend for a week. The beds were clean and comfortable with a towel for each bed. The toilet (western style) and shower (hot water 24/7) were perfect too.

The staff were so unbelievably helpful! Especially the two young girls who work during the day. Every question was answered in excellent English.

There are two common rooms, one with a massive flat screen and the other with very comfy chairs and sofa. There is also free wifi, but it does play up if quite a few people are using it - and it really only worked when I stood near the reception. Other than that I loved everything about this hostel.

The location is good, you can walk to several markets from there and the subway is very close to the centre of town. I would love to return to Lucky Family in the future :)

Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2014

Good hostel in the heart of the traditional hutong ; may be hard to find the first time. It is close to the subway, about 5 minutes walk from Zhangzizhong lu station (exit B).

The staff is friendly and helpful (helped us to choose and book a great wall tour at 11pm ;) ).

About the room, our was clean and spacious for two people. We booked a room with two separated beds. But quite surprisingly, the bathroom is only separated from the room with a semi transparent glass wall. So if you are with a friend, it can quickly become awkward. But anyway, room still great, spacious, and above all : CLEAN !

About the breakfast : It is not the traditional chinese breakfast, but who cares, it is fresh and free ! There is bread, jam, coffee ; enough to start the day !

We stayed there for 4 nights and I think if we go back to Beijing we will come back there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2014

I stayed over at the hostel as a lone female traveler coming back from my recent adventure on the Great Wall at Gubeikou.

What I liked a lot about the hostel was its location. It is situated in the middle of a hutong (alley-way) which gives it a nice Chinese feel. It was very easy to walk to the popular shopping street NanLuoGuXiang. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I felt quite safe staying there alone. My room was not the most atmospheric - very narrow and very, very small - but was fine because all I really needed was a bed to sleep in. I remember the bathroom being better than other bathrooms I had experienced around Beijing. The common rooms are also nice, and I VERY quickly made friends as I was reading a book on the couch. At one point I got quite hungry and the the lady at reception showed me the possible deliveries that could be made. This was quite convenient as I wouldn't have to go out and fetch food. She called them and I had food delivered to the hostel.

Overall, this was a good stop-over for me. I felt safe and the hostel had a nice, warm feeling to it. It's not quite as rough as some of the other youth hostels around Beijing, and feels a little more homey. Being in a convenient location means that you won't get bored. I also reckon that this is a great choice for a couple that's travelling around. The double bed rooms looked very nice.

Room Tip: The single room is very narrow and small, but fine if all you want is a bed.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2014

Good location but might be hard to find for the first time. Nice clean hostel in good location - everything interesting is accessible by foot or by metro. Rather safe location in a representative part of Beijing (according to locals). Close to the tube. Helpful staff but not all speak good English so be patient as they really want to understand you. The reception is open 24/7 so you don't have to worry that you won't get there on time. They offer trips to the Great Wall and other locations if you're interested. International travelers from all over the world visit this place (although we've met mostly Britons).

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor are a bit quieter as on the ground floor you have two rest rooms available...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2014

Wonderful hostel situated in a traditional Beijing hutong. In a fantastic location, close to subway station, lots of restaurants & convenience stores and not too far away from Ghost Street. The staff were wonderful and spoke excellent English. They were very helpful answering all of our questions and providing great advice, they also booked our sleeper train tickets to Xi'an saving us the hassle of trying to book online (which would incur extra fees to those of the hostel) or trying to book at the railway station. They also offered cheap and lovely breakfast of museli, fruit and yoghurt, or other western breakfast options also at reasonable prices.
We had a private double room with ensuite, not a large space but perfect for us as we didn't spend much time in our room. The room was clean and well presented with a small desk and stool and double bed.
Only two small issues for me, #1 - we did not receive clean towels once during our 6 night stay. #2 - the beds were very hard.
Other than that a great hostel which we would stay at again as it was good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jade J
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Been there 3 months ago, as part of the transsiberian, and spent 5 nights there. Centrally located in a nice hutong, staff very friendly and a good breakfast. Rooms are not that spacious, and if you stay on top in the summer it's too hot! But at least it has AC! Lots of cheap and nice restaurants nearby, supermarkets and stores. Would definitely come back and recommend it to everyone!

Room Tip: On the level floor to avoid extreme heat in Summer.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family