“Just terrible”

Lucky Family Hostel
Ranked #20 of 982 Speciality Lodging in Beijing
Reviewed 3 April 2015

I arrived in the Nanyuan Airport in Beijing and called to get directions to the hostel
they had no clue how to explain it.
Made my way on my own by busses and subways to find the hostel.
I reserved the four bed dorm online prior to my visit.
once i got in the girl at the counter said that they don't have a 4 room dorm available (probably because they don't update the room status online.) so they have another room ready for me.
she showed me to my room.
The room was in a shack on top of the hostels roof.
the same shack used as the managers office and staff kitchen.
it was the smallest room with a metal frame bunk bed.
there wasn't even a mattress on the bed. Just a sheet.
and they were planning on charging me the full amount as if i was to sleep in the 4 bed dorm.
I came back to the girl at the counter telling her it was ridiculous. She said "I know" and smiled.
she then offered me to move to a 6 bed dorm. (which i had no idea existed)
she gave me back part of the money.
i pre paid part of the money on the internet with my reservation, doing the math i found that i got less money than i was supposed to get in return.
i told her about it.

Lucky Family - Worst hostel experience i've ever had.
luckily it was for only one night.

Room Tip: Choose a different hostel.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Adam W

Reviewed 22 March 2015

The hostel is well located in the Hutongs, and 5 minutes walk from the subway. The young guy has good English and is really helpful, he booked train tickets for us.

The bathroom walls were semitransparent. Bit strange but okay

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sarah_ali17
Reviewed 17 February 2015

This review is a late one, as I stayed at the Lucky Family Hostel last April/May for 10 nights. I am now hoping to go back to Beijing this year and have been looking at the Lucky Family again as my accommodation for this.

Admittedly, we found the hostel hard to find when we first arrived, but it allowed us to see more of the area we would be staying in! Once we found it, it was extremely easy to find. There are four exits/entrances to Zhangzizhonglu subway station, which we didn't realise in the first instance. It comes out on a road crossway, and each is on the opposite corner. Therefore when we came out of one of the exits, we automatically assumed the hostel was along that road. You need to be on the corner of the road that has a little green area, with a Chinese Pavilion shelter that you can sit in, and lots of bushes/plants. You need to walk up that road, you'll go past a little shop, and need to take the right after the shop where you should then see some public toilets. These public toilets are the start of the Hutong. Walk up past these and take the first left next to a little shop, which is in a hut. Follow this up round to the right and the hostel is down on the right. I can imagine these instructions sound confusing, but really, please don't let it put you off. It's easy to find when you know how. And it's a beautiful place to stay.

It's great to stay right in the middle of the Hutongs. You get a real good feel for the Chinese way of life and it's a fab atmosphere. It is away from the hustle and bustle of Beijing, a very chilled place. But once you come out of the Hutong, you're back into the busy Beijing.

It's close to the subway station so anywhere in Beijing is easily accessible, and cheap! It is also close to the Lama Temple. This is within walking distance and is straight down the road. It is very close by subway to Tianamen, Qianmen, Wanfujing and the Forbidden City.

The people who run the hostel are very polite and will do whatever they can to help you!

You can also book tours through the hostel, which was a great service. We done two. We went to Mutianyu Great Wall on one day which includes bus pick up and drop off, lunch and entry onto the wall. There is also an English speaking guide. You just have to pay for your cable car up the wall if you want to. The second one we went on was Jinshanling Great Wall. This also includes transport, English speaking guide, entry and lunch. You need to pay for your cable car. This one I would highly recommend. The journey is around 2 1/2 hours to and from the wall but it is a part which has been left to deteriorate. Mutianyu was also a great part, this has been maintained. When we went, each tour was £28pp. Well worth it.

We stayed in a twin room with ensuite. It was a very good price and included a simple breakfast of toast and porridge with unlimited tea and coffee. We found this a great service as it is always better to go out on a full stomach than have to find somewhere to eat first!

One last thing you can easily get to the airport. You need to get the subway to Dongzhimen (very close to Zhangzizhonglu) and then you can jump straight onto the airport express train.

I would recommend this hostel to anyone. I feel that there are no negatives and it was a wonderful experience. It made my time in Beijing brilliant.

Enjoy! :)

Room Tip: The wifi isn't very strong. However, there are some computers you can use for free with good int...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ChellVickery
Reviewed 1 February 2015

Authentic Location in one of the Hutongs which are close communities between the major streets and close to a subway stop. Great Breakfast spots in the hutong and lots of restaurants nearby. Also close to the Drum and Bell Towers. Issues were mostly the internet that was not working. They did appear to be working on it when we were there. Staff were friendly. Rooms aren't anything special but it is a hostel so that is acceptable.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2015

Hostel has good prices and a nice uncommon location (in a typical Beijing alley), but also many problems.
Staff tried to be helpful, but didn't do much for us since their English is terrible (that is, compared to staff in other hostels - not a lot of people speak English at all in Beijing). Maybe for this reason our reservations were mixed up and we were asked whether we'd decided to stay longer, and our keys wouldn't work until we payed for the "extra" nights. It was later resolved, but caused us some stress.
Now the hostel itself looks old and dark, could certainly be renewed. Common area is just a couple of separate rooms with sofas and a TV, and we haven't seen people there during the 5 nights we stayed. Rooms are average. They offer some western breakfast options for some 20 yuans, which may be a good choice for those sick of the traditional dumplings or noodle soup. The neighborhood in which this place is located is quite nice, you'll find many Hutongs while walking around, and many shops and restaurants in the main avenues. Also a subway station within a 10 minute walking distance.
It wasn't a bad experience after all, but my money could've certainly be better spent.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank FelipeMin
Reviewed 9 November 2014

The minute we stepped out of the cab, we felt as if we stepped into a kung fu movie. It was so cool to go through the alleys (hutong) and try to find our way. It's not that easy to find AT FIRST, but it's a great and convenient location. Someone was there to help us in check-in at 3 am.

The next day, we got to know the staff and asked several questions, actually the entire week we stayed. EVERYONE there is extremely helpful and can speak fluent English. There's a small cafe inside, if you just want to chillax, drink at night, or socialize. The breakfast is good and very cheap. You have your choice of eight different breakfast dishes.

The place is a bit old since it's in a classic hutong (alley) which makes it all the more desirable. They keep it very tidy. I highly recommend their Great Wall of China tour. We had an amazing time; it was perfect. They can organize other tours if you'd like, all within budget.

This place is awesome! We recommended this to a couple of friends we made along the way and they loved it, too.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank darioitaly83
Reviewed 26 October 2014

The hostel is down a couple of alleys, but still remarkably easy to find.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
The location is excellent. Easy walk tot he metro station. Plenty of good restaurants close by. Even in walking distance of popular Hutongs and other attractions, though we took advantage of the free bike rentals for 2 hours to visit them.
Plenty of good, helpful information in the lobby. The food served in the common room was tasty and reasonably priced, and it was good to have the drink fridge in the lobby to load up with.
I would definitely go back, and would recommend to others!

Room Tip: Anything off the ground floor, to avoid common room noise.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family