“Bad Service, Unhelpful Staff!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square

Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square
Ranked #117 of 6,427 Hotels in Beijing
India
“Bad Service, Unhelpful Staff!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

I had traveled to Beijing for some office work and ended up staying in this hotel since it was closer to my office. Boy, did I regret my decision!

If you are a vegetarian, you will starve! Carry your own food coz all you will get in this hotel is a margarita pizza and green salad.

The staff does not understand English so basically you are on your own and there is not much point asking for any extra service or complaining coz half the time they would not know what you are saying. Also boil your drinking water, 2 of my colleagues got sick due to bad water. The reception mixed up my bills and I had a tough time claiming back.

The room were decent though. The hotel has a bar downstairs, and surprisingly good service there.

Overall I would not want to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
BeijingMiaomiao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for having taken the time to give your comments about our hotel. As the new General Manager of this property, I feel extremely sad about the poor experience you had with us and apart from expressing my deepest apologies, and should you give us the chance to serve you again, please contact me directly so I can offer you a deserved compensation.
With best regards,
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kanagawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

I have stayed this hotel several times since April 2011. The room is quite OK as it is very new hotel. The A/C in this hotel does not work properly and it is often very hot in summer and very cold in winter. When I stayed there in Dec. 2011, the outside temeprature was about -10 degrees C and the A/C did not work well and I felt very cold especially work desk area due to cold wind from window area.
The room size is normal business class hotel and wired internet connection is easy to use and the speed is acceptable.
Quality of breakfast is average in Chinese standard.
As this is quite new hotel, most taxi drivers do not know this hotel. If you do not know the location and how to get there, and you cannot speak Chinese, you should have a very detail map otherwise you will have a problem.

Room Tip: For summer, facing to north or east room is better (facing south and west rooms are often very hot d...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

We arrived at 21.40 from a long journey. We had booked 4 rooms and confirmed them. Our agent had called during the day informing the hotel what tie we would arrive. We were told that there were no rooms. During the hour that we all stood at reception whilst Salina the Duty manager clicked on the computer nobody even offered us a drink of water.
The problem was not finally solved till a quarter to one in the morning. Thus ruining a nights sleep between business meetings.
This hotel cost more than the amount spent on hotels on the 3 previous nights together. Due to the long journey and tight schedule we thought it was best to stay at a top rate hotel before an important business meeting.
All I can say is NEVER AGAIN.
Btw- i suggest all readers look at my other reviews. This is the first time I have ever written a bad review about a hotel

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
BeijingMiaomiao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
We do sincerely apologize for the experience you had on the 30th November night and the inconvenience caused. We truly understand what you felt at the moment. We have discussed this matter with our management team and taken the appropriate action to ensure that guests with guarantied reservation will have their room ready upon arrival

We have also retrained all our front office employees to ensure our check in procedures is followed.

We do understand that after such experience you will not consider staying with us again. Nevertheless we are sure that this case was an isolated one and not representative of the

Service offered to our customer. We sincerely hope that you will give a chance to let you enjoy both our hardware and service quality. Should you do so please let us know as early as possible by either contacting our Director of Sales & Marketing Leo QI via xin.qi@ihg.com; or Front Office Manager Mark LU via pei.lu@ihg.com; so we can let you enjoy our suite during your next stay. Again our entire team apologizes and hopes having the privilege of welcoming you during your next visit in Beijing.

With Kind Regards.
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

One of the smoothest Holiday Inn experiences ever!
Free upgrade to club room. Since I reserved the breakfast package, the breakfast charge was deducted without my asking for it! I was really surprised by the honesty and carefulness of the staff.
Free parking, that was wonderful as well.
The room was totally new, and good.
I just couldn't find anything flawed. Best value ever!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BeijingMiaomiao, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Appreciate for your valuable and details comments to us, Looking forward to welcome you soon!
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

I recently stayed at your hotel, for a night on the 30th Oct. What I encounter was beyond my believe. I had asked for help to check my room AC, which is too warm. I understand the ACs are set for winter, however the day I checked in, outside temperature was 12 deg. So it wasn’t that cold. Anyway, the front desk sent a Jaeson. What I encounter with Jaeson was beyond me. This person was rude, not helpful and was giving me negative attitude. As this person can’t help me with such a simple task, I told him to go. And on his way out, he actually slammed the door.

This is totally unacceptable. I paid for the room charges and even if it was given to me free, there’s still no excuse for such behaviour. I had asked for your email, simply because I want to convey this message that, I had travel around the world for the past 8 yrs, and stayed in many hotels. This is the very first time I had encounter such behaviour in your hotel. I will definitely not recommend your hotel to any of my peers or clients.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
BeijingMiaomiao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Dear Mr. Lim,

First of all, let me apologize for the inconvenience you had during your stay at the Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square

Please be informed that I have immediately brought it up to the attention of concerned executive and staff.

Action have been taken and we have strengthen the daily check of all room controller and temperature whereby any

defect will be immediately reported to the Engineering department

As per the staff attitude, we have also checked his records. This employee has been working in our hotel since the pre-opening and

and was also nominated as employee of the month of May. Following your comment I have inspected your room personally.

and have found out that the door closer has not been adjusted properly. As result when the door is let loose, it closes naturally

with heavy bang. Nevertheless, we will keep an eye on this employee and take further action if necessary.

Please be assured that my team and I are really committed to take care of our guest and provide the best possible service.

Should you travel back to Beijing I would appreciate if you would give us the opportunity to show you our hospitality and that

our team member really care for our guests. Should you be able to do so we will be happy to upgrade you to one of our suite

for your next stay.

I thank you very much for your comment and look forward having the opportunity to welcome you personally at the Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square.

General Manager .
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

Great Hotel, very modern with all the amenities you could need for a short stay in Beijing. Ideal location and one of the closest hotels to the airport, although as it’s a new hotel not many taxi drivers know where it is yet so take written directions in English and or Chinese if you can.
Plenty of shops, convenience stores and eating places (Chinese, Western, KFC, McDonalds etc) within easy walking distance. I do not know about the nightlife in the area as I always seem to take a taxi (only 10 rmb) to The Lido Place which has plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from. My favourite is the Trio or Franks Sports bar which can be found a short walk from the Lido up to the T-Junction, turn right and its 50 meters on the left.
The hotel itself is very modern with a lobby bar and a separate bar which faces out to the street called “Hi Bar”, both are good. There is also a Brazilian Restaurant come Buffet on the 6th floor which is worth a visit. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful especially on the front desk.
One down side is that because of the convenient location to the airport it is situated away from downtown and taxis are sometimes hard to locate, but this is only a minor issue as the bellboys will run out to the main street to locate one for you with no questions asked.
Rooms are clean and tidy and have everything you would expect from a Holiday Inn hotel. This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel and will definitely return next time I’m passing through Beijing.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank corpy
Feng W, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Beijing Focus Square, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Appreciate for your valuable and details comments to us, hotel team have been keeping work hard for taxi issue that we believe it will run to the right direction when next time you check in our hotel. Looking forward to see you soon!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Looking for a replacement to the Holiday Inn (now Metropark) Lido I chose to stay here on my latest visit. The whole hotel is new and very modern, the rooms are great.

I only usually spend one night in Beijing when before getting my flight home to the UK the next morning. When doing this I like a hotel that is near to places to eat and get a beer but also not far from the Airport which is why I like the location of the Lido. To walk from this hotel to the places like Frank's and Eudora by the Lido is 20 mins and you need to go over a highway. Taxi is 10 RMB and only 10 mins. I am not saying that it is a bad location, I have not decided yet, it is just not as convienient as the Lido and I do not know of places near to this hotel to eat and get a beer.

Other than this I would certianly recommend this hotel to anyone. Great rooms, great service and not far from the airport.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business