A very good alternative to the fancy hotels and modern possibilities in Beijing. It is lost in a huton not far from the bell tower. After my 4th time in Beijing, I appreciated the fact that I really lived the Beijing experience among the Beijing people. That is the real advantage of this place. The hutong house is nicely renovated and the former yard of the hutong has become the meeting place under a nice veranda. My parents from Europe loved it.
Having said that, some drawbacks tha tyou shoudl be aware of:
- the bathroom is extremely small;
- we only got room cleaning on the second day of our stay out of four. That means no towler replacement, no floor cleaning, no sheet replacement but also not paper tissue.
- some forgotten personal items from the previous guests were still here. I assume they did not do a thorough investigation of the rom in between;
- the nights are a little bit bumpy as the walls are as thin as a sheet of paper. You can hear the bipping sounds of the cell phone next door. So you need to bet that your neihbours are not noisy, do not wake up at 5am or do not come back from party at 5 am.
- the personnel is very nice but not very professional (I have to say that it happens a lot in China as they are not used to servicing people; all this is very new to them and there is not real education, qualification or training that they are getting). We asked for breakfast and they did not bring anything. When we reminded them, they replied that we needed to ask for the menu because they have three choices of breakfast. Of course, asking for breakfast did not imply that we then wanted the menu... (sic) anyway, breakfast is not their specialty at all. So with or without, does not really make a difference.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As a typical two-entrance quadrangle, Old Beijing Square Hotel, with a long history of 300 years, locates at the thousand-year-old Baochao Hutong. It now becomes the must-go tour site of old Beijing hutong trip, serving as the bridge to experience old Beijing Hutong and quadrangle architectural culture. As the only folk music themed hotel, every guest room is named by ethical instruments and folk music performance is held every week, and thus the whole hotel is burst with folk music artistic atmosphere. Our hotel is located at No.38,Baochong Hutong, Dongcheng District, Beijing, with an housing area of together 700 square meters. Nearby is the Bell House, as well as South Luogu Alley, Houhai, Lord Chunqin's Mansion, Lord Gongqin's Mansion, North Sea Park, Imperial Academy, Jingshan Park, as well as the Lama Buddhist Temple. Our location is perfect and transportation is convenient. Elegant and comfortable, the hotel is of rare quietness in this fast-pace city life. Lively 200-year-old date tree stands still within the courtyard , till now fruitful on autumn; back the courtyard is the luxuriant wisteria, below which stone table stands, which could be the perfect place for friends' chatting. The hotel could provide you a nice place to enjoy the very leisure in the busy life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Old Beijing Square Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.