“Great base for seeing Bejing”

Novotel Beijing Peace
Ranked #65 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 3 April 2008

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights whilst on honeymoon in Sept'07. Our room was clean and comfy and our en-suite had a great walkin shower, which was welcomed after a hot summers day exploring the city.
Lots of choice for breakfast (waffles, fruit, bacon, egg fried rice). Hotel staff very helpful and they arranged taxi's for us to make day trips easier. Good location for exploring the city itself - only a 10 minute walk from Wanfujing Street (modern shopping street). We even walked back from Tiananmen Square one day - but if you're going to do that make sure you're wearing comfy shoes!
The hotel has a nice bar to unwind in of an evening - they'd often have a pianist playing - and much to my husband's delight they had their own internet cafe as well.
We'd recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a good base from which to see Bejing.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank lincolnandmills
Write a ReviewReviews (2,547)

Reviewed 29 March 2008

I stayed this hotel for my marriage anniversary trip this month. My experience was terrible though I am not sure if I was just unfortunate or the hotel's service is problematic.
My room was executive room that has nice plasma TV and free access to executive lounge for breakfast and early evening snack/drink. Breakfast and snack/drink are both terrific. Further, executive room guest has two options for breakfast, either 1st floor main restaurant or 19th floor lounge. Anyone staying over three nights, having two options make breakfast experience much more enjoyable.
The hotel has a terrific location too. Very easy access to Wangfujing, Tiananmen, Lama Temple and Temple of Heaven(through newly opened subway #5). Throughout Dongdan and Dongsi street (less than a quarter mile east from the hotel), travelers can find many interesting small, independent artistic shops for ethnic cloths, bags etc.
Hotel facilities are somewhat outdated but acceptable. You can see that the hotel tries very hard to keep up with new facilities. Executive rooms are recently updated and have many comfortable features.
Nevertheless, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone for following reasons (in order of minor to major problems).
1. If you arrive, you will receive a letter that indicate variety of executive room previliges, including newspaper every morning. Strangely, they never deliver newspaper to rooms on the 18th floor. I had to complain to recieve it.
2. Do not use hotel's tour service. I went to the Great Wall and Ming Tombs through their service. A group of 6 left 30 mins after the promised departure time. After about 40mins visit to the Ming Tombs, the bus stopped by two shops wasting more than two hours. Then, we went to lunch to have the worst Chinese food in my life. Due to earlier "forced" visit to shops, our lunch time was less than 25 mins. Then, it went to the Great Wall. The guide gave us less than one and half hour. After busy picture taking, the bus visited another shop! - this time, a ridiculously overpriced tea shop in the middle of nowhere. When the group finished the shopping "obiligations", Beijing was already full of traffic jam. The guide and driver asked me and my wife to take taxi to go back since others' hotel are located in different direction. It was gruesome even though the tour guide found a taxi and paid in advance for our return trip. From 8 am to 6:30 pm, actual cultural experiences at Ming Tombs and the Great Wall lasted less than two and half hours. Considering re-direction and others, forced shopping at three different shops costed us about four hours. For this terrible service, they charged 350 RMB p/p. For some cheap group tour (usually 150-200 RMB) to Great Wall, my experience may not be unacceptable. Nevertheless, for the price offered by the hotel, this is simply unaccetable/disgusting/ horrible experience. I strongly complained the hotel manager and offered two tickets for Peking Opera next night. The only reason I did not complain further and accepted their offer was because my wife did not want to see any disturbance during the trip.
3. The bathroom had two problems. Water drain in the shower booth did not work well sometimes (but not always). I guess it tends to flood when other rooms are using shower booth together. I sometimes had to stop the warter until it drains. Glass wall of the show booth was not fully water proof. After shower, the whole bathroom floor was wet. I complained these problems a couple of times. For the first problem, I got the answer that they could not find any problem. I suggested my theory - drain problem occurs when many rooms are using shower booth at the same time. Then, they said, "we cannot control other rooms' use of shower booth." Quite compelling explanation! They never attended my second problem until I leave.
4. I booked this hotel because I believed that this hotel is eqipped with bidet (many websites listed it including expedia; someone here also mentioned it). I needed it because of medical reasons. Hence, I cancelled my original reservation at Park Plaza and booked this hotel though this hotel was about 50$/per night more expensive. I could not see a bidet in the bathroom. I went to the executive reception desk. They did not know what bidet is. After a few phone calls, the attendant explained that the hotel used to have it but not anymore. I though I was just unlucky. Two days before I leave, I went to meet an assistant manager to complain three problems I mentioned above here. At the end of the discussion, I briefly mentioned about my disappointment about unavailability of bidet in the room. The manager was surprised. He said, "actually some rooms have it." I was dismayed. If some rooms have it, why they did not offer an option when I checked in? I was really furious and protested seriously then. Next morning, I met a guestroom manager to protest about this. He apologized and offered a new room. I did not take it as I did not want to pack up and move for just one night (we had some baggage). He instead offered 10% discount. That was meager considering all my troubles. But I just accepted it. My stay could have been happy-ended if my next experience did not happen (# 5)
5. When I checked out, the executive floor manager said that "we are giving you 10% discount because of your troubles with water drain and newspaper delivery." I replied that "no, I did not receive discount because of newspaper and drain. That is because of "bidet"". The manager said, "what is bidet?" I was entirely lost. It seems people in this hotel is not communicating each other. I guess that is the source of all troubles in this hotel. Did I have to explain all over again why I was unhappy?

The room rate was slightly over $200 after "generous discount." I found that this hotel has a serious problem in terms of communication and management. It seems the hotel is mainly for group tourists and Air France employees anyway. It is not for an individual traveler for sure.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank jseo2
Reviewed 28 February 2008

I just checked out of the Novotel Peace Beijing and was extremely pleased with my stay. I had booked the Executive Floor room which was well worth the additional US$20 in the price as it included free internet service, evening cocktails/appetizers and full hot breakfast in the 19th floor Club Room with expansive views of the Forbidden City looking west overy Beijing.

The hotel is also extremely well situated in the heart of Beijing, 15-20 minutes walking distance to Tianamen Square and the entrance of the Forbidden City. It's also in very close proximity to the Wangfujing pedestrian shopping street. The subway is only a 5 minute walk away. Cab from the Beijing Capital Airport was only 100 RMB. Ask the information desk at the airport to write the name of the hotel in Chinese for you to give to the cab driver. It's located just outside the arrivals area.

The guest rooms were amazingly well appointed and recently renovated, at least on the executive floor (17). It would have been easy to mistake this room for one at a W hotel in any other major city. Contemporary and upscale furnishings including a king bed, sofa and coffee table. As with most Asian hotels, the service was great with complimentary bathroom amenities galore, tea/coffee service, robes, slippers and turn down service. The staff even folded my clothes left on the bed when they came in for the turndown service! Cost of the rooms was very affordable for central Beijiing at only about 1100 RMB per night.

The buffet restaurant does a great job at providing a nice selection of western and asian fare for about US$30 for dinner. They had a number of vegetarian options.

Only a couple of minor downsides... the bed must have been one of the hardest I've ever slept on. The fitness center was not terribly large and had a limited amount of equipment for use. Smoking is permitted in the lobby area which can get a little overwhelming.

Tour desk and front desk staff spoke adequate english.

Look out for the very large groups of Air France crews that frequent this hotel. They move in large numbers.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank ndl001
Reviewed 4 February 2008

Chose this Hotel following reviews on this Website, was staying for a few days on a stopover from London to Sydney.

I went for the Executive Suite, yet again following advice from this website. The room was great, two LCD TVs, King Size bed, Air Con the works, couldn't fault it in anyway.

I used the Exec Lounge for the inc Breakfast and Evening Buffet and this was good. The only fault I would say, as with any buffet, is that if you go at the wrong time the food could be a little on the cold side.

I used the concierge service downstairs to sort out a couple of days trips, they were exceptionally helpful. I think it was around £45 for a very nice car and driver for the day. If you can I would recommend getting Mr Kong, his english was excellent and he took me to a very nice authentic chinese for lunch.

I used the 24 hr Restaurant as I was leaving, it was nice but not really my thing.

I would recommend staying here as it was all very good. It probably lacked a little atmosphere and was very formal but if that's your thing, well fair enough.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 January 2008

After staying at this hotel last year I decided to book this hotel again but on the executive leve. I was not disappointed. I checked in on the 19th floor and was given a room on the 16th floor with great views. Breakfast on the executive level was very nice with plenty of food and custom ordered breakfast. Plenty of coffee, juices, fruit, pastries and chinese fare as well were available. The room was very nice with all new bathroom with rain shower and nicely appointed. Everything looks ready for the Olympics and the staff was great. I highly recommend this hotel for its location and helpful staff.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank tigerpaws
Reviewed 9 January 2008

We booked our stay through the Accor centralized hotline, very convenient. We found our stay a pleasant one, and excellent value for money. Location is top notch, a stone’s throw from Wangfujing and with many taxis in the area. Certainly a better choice for tourists than the overpriced Penninsula across the road.

We were upgraded, and the room (newly renovated West Wing) was excellent, very large with a separate living room/TV area, small bathroom, and adjoining big bedroom space. No lack of space, except perhaps in the cramped bathroom (no tub, only shower). The room was clean and comfortable, and probably worth more than the price paid.

Breakfast was a good spread of Continental, American and some (awful) Asian dishes. The Crepe/waffle station was a highlight.

Service was moderately displeasing, but not immensely so. Although we booked a twin/double room, clearly stated on our reservation, reception insisted that only b’fast for one was included, the other being chargeable (which we disputed, and eventually won). Apart from that and a few other service hiccups, some staff were great, especially the taxi/bell boy and luggage service.

Overall a recommended choice for value-conscious travelers.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ThePrivateer
Reviewed 30 December 2007

We loved:
- the central location in Wangfujing: short walk from Forbidden City, night market, great shopping etc...
- wonderful buffet breakfast with a French flair eg crepes and delicious croissants among many other stuff.
- comfortable rooms, friendly staff
- cheap for what you get and in comparison with similar neighboring hotels

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled with family