“Home away from home”

Ranked #41 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Chevy Chase, MD
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt Beijing around 12 times in the last five years, usually for at least a week at a time. I have stayed at other hotels in Beijing, so I have some points of comparison. This is truly one of my favorite hotels in the world. Sure, there are other hotels in Beijing that are more ritzy, glamorous, trendy, etc., but the Grand Hyatt takes the prize for all-around service and functionality. Choosing a hotel in Beijing depends heavily on your location for business, etc. (because of the distances and traffic), but I would certainly recommend this hotel for anyone doing business in the Dongcheng area and for tourists because of its proximity to the Forbidden City.

There are so many good things to say about this hotel that it's hard to decide what to highlight. Certainly the food options are fantastic. The lunch buffet is one of the best in Beijing, the Made in China restaurant is excellent, and Red Moon is one of my favorite sushi places anywhere. The gym and pool are also major attractions. The gym is like a small but well-equipped health club, and the pool is out of this world. I always stay on the "club" floors, and the club lounge is very nice. The breakfast is good, and it's usually possible to make a meal out of the happy hour buffet if you don't have dinner plans for the night.

This is one of the few hotels in central Beijing where you can actually take some pleasant walks in the vicinity of the hotel. It's nice to stroll down Wangfujing (a closed pedestrian street), and Tiananmen Square is about a 10-15 minute walk. If you've never been to Beijing, it resembles an archipelago of massive shopping mall complexes, with most of the hotels and office buildings located in one of these complexes. (The Grand Hyatt is no exception. It's on top of a large shopping mall called Oriental Plaza.) The result of this urban planning disaster is that there is relatively little street life in central Beijing. The area around the Grand Hyatt is something of an exception, and it is possible to walk out the door without falling immediately into the concrete wasteland. It's also located on top of Line 1, the main artery of the Beijing subway system. Its location near the Forbidden City places it roughly in the middle of the city, making it a good compromise location if your business takes you to different places (like the financial district to the west and the CBD area to the east).

The rooms and service at the Grand Hyatt are first-rate. The "Club Deluxe King" rooms are like small apartments, with a living room area and kitchenette. (In truth, the function of the kitchenette area has never been clear to me. The next time the hotel undergoes a major renovation, I would suggest converting the kitchenettes into large closets -- closet space being one of the few shortcomings of these rooms.) The club rooms have their own reception desk on the 17th floor, and the service there is always excellent. The hotel has introduced free WiFi in the last year or two, making it even more business-friendly.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank DadCCMD
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Reviewer

Wow, what a review! Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a complimentary and detailed review of our hotel and highlighting so many of it's unqiue features including our location.

We are sincerely grateful to have such regular and loyal customers like you, who are wonderful Ambassadors...Thank you!

We look forward to welcoming you back and on you next visit please do ask to meet me, so I can thank you in person.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Good value for money here with upscale business hotel in central location. Nice bar and excellent Chinese restaurant. Having wifi in the rooms is definitely a plus and makes you wonder why this isn't a standard at all international business hotels.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review of Grand Hyatt Beijing.

I was thrilled that you enjoyed our bar and Chinese restaurant alike, and indeed in today's World, Wi-Fi internet access is a "Must" and I am glad you found our to be convenient to your needs.

Overall your review was very complimentary for which we are sincerely grateful and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 February 2012

on a travelling spree recently again and chanced upon the most awesome indoor swimming pool that i have ever seen at the grand hyatt beijing!

a theme was built into the swimming pool decor, featuring more of a nature feel to it... really relaxing in having a swim in this indoor pool that seems to shut off the hustle and bustle of the beijing traffic outside

2 thumbs up!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Reviewer

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Beijing!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor. Indeed the pool is a very special and unique feature of the hotel and I was thrilled to read how much you enjoyed it.

Thank you also for all the positive ratings in respects to our service, value, room and cleanliness.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back!

California
Reviewed 11 February 2012

As with the other modern hotels I have experienced in China, the Grand Hyatt Beijing rates very highly. The gym has convenient hours and is well equipped with free weights, cardio, and weight machines. Uniquely, it has a 50m pool that is very clean and almost never used, so a very good option for lap swimmers. The minestrone soup I had in the Italian restaurant was so-so. There is a Starbucks conveniently located in one of the office towers adjacent to the hotel. The hotel sits atop a multi-level shopping mall with excellent Chinese dining options and convenient access to the subway. I've stayed here twice and didn't yet make it to the Forbidden City or Tianamen Square, even though both are within walking distance. The concierge desk is quite helpful in writing out directions in Mandarin for the taxi drivers.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Beijing.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with some very constructive feedback on our hotel through Trip Advisor . It is only through this type of feedback that we are able to critically assess our performance and understand the required areas of improvement. We are very grateful that you chose Grand Hyatt for your stay in Beijing.

I would like to thank you for all the positive comments and ratings you gave us, they are always a real pleasure to receive. Indeed we are very fortunate to have a team of motivated, courteous and helpful staff, and I will ensure they are duly recognized. In regards to your comments on the minestrone soup, they are well noted and rest assured I will pass them on to our Executive Chef for his follow-up and corrective action.

I hope we have the opportunity to be at your service again in the near future.

Best regards,

Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My 7 night stay turned out to be in one of the best hotels I stayed at recently.....

I was traveling with a friend and we decided to stay in one of the Club Deluxe 2 bedrooms. A really nice room on the 16th floor with a decent living, two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a kitchen. Since access to the Grand Club was included there was really no need to use the kitchen, not even for making tea.

I you are able to use the club lounge, which I recommend, you will also have a choice between using the club lounge or the Chinese breakfast in "Made in China". After trying both I preferred the breakfast in the club lounge. But it's nice to have a (free) choice.

They also serve some really nice appetizers during the cocktail hours (17:00-20:00) in the lounge. For me a great way to relax and checkup on my e-mail after a full day of sightseeing.
And for more unwinding after a long day there is also "Club Oasis" with a very nice fitness center, sauna/steam-room/jacuzzi and a great pool. Especially the pool is exceptional.

For the restaurants I only had dinner at "Made in China" a few times. The Peking Duck is really good there, but the other dishes we had were pretty good as well.

I didn't use the concierge since I knew already what to do and see.

Overall an excellent stay in a great hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the club rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in Grand Hyatt Beijing on Trip Advisor. Overall your comments and ratings were very complimentary for which we are sincerely grateful. In particular thank you for highlighting our Beijing breakfast in our Made in China Restuarant, which is definitely a speciality of ours and I amso glad you enjoyed the famous Peking Duck!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The Hotel location is closed to Wangfujing street.
The hotel breakfast was very delicious, many variety inc asian and continental breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post some comments about your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our breakfast offering and overall your review was very complimentary, for which we are sincerely grateful and it goes a long way in promoting our hotel.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel in January 2012 and found it to be quite nice. The rooms are fine. No wifi in the room so if you have a MacBook Air with no internet cable connection you need to go down to the lobby. I would give it a 5 Star rating but I found it quite expensive and again, the no wifi in the room was a pain.

It is in a great location though - pretty much in the centre of the action. The lobby is nice, the hotel staff were all very friendly and accommodating. The pool is spectacular.

* We did a day trip to the Great Wall arranged by the Concierge. It was expensive - $250 for two of us in a minivan with an english translator. We found out the translator only received around $10 for the day. I wonder where the rest of the money went. The hotel should have told us to expect to tip the driver and translator.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Reviewer

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us on Trip Advisor. I was very surprised to read that you did not believe that you had Wi-Fi in your room, as indeed our entire hotel, guest rooms and public spaces are geared for easy Wi-Fi connection and in particular in the guest rooms, where in fact multiple devices can connect for the one charge.

Thank you for highlighting the pool, it is definitely a unique and popular aspect of our hotel. In relation to the Great Wall tour, from reading your post I gather you had a private tour and the charge is correct given your explanation. However, given the service is provided by our preferred third party tour company, we do not have any knowledge as to what they pay their employees and as such I can not comment on the alocations of such charges. I can however state that the hotel does receive a booking commission, which is common practice in the industry world wide for such services.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.