“Nicely appointed rooms, wonderful restaurant, friendly staff...but central location?”

Holiday Inn Central Plaza
Ranked #91 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 6 February 2012

This is a solid bet for a place to stay in Beijing. The rooms are large and very well designed with amazing bathrooms and a stylish layout. I stayed on the executive floor...very well worth it considering its like $20 more a night and you get so much more space and a nice lounge area which has pretty good food. The staff are very nice, will do pretty much anything you need to get done...I particularly liked the trip out to Mutianyu Great Wall they booked for me and my friend...and their English is impeccable, but since I know some Mandarin, they were happy to help me communicate in Chinese also :) Oh and they saved me a huge amount of money on my laundry by taking me directly to the washer instead of going through the hotel's laundry service...very happy with that. And there is a very good restaurant with great breakfasts.

Now for those of you who have not been to Beijing before...it is an exhaustingly huge metropolis...bigger than pretty much anything in the USA or Europe or for that matter the rest of Asia. Distances are long, roads are wide and with the summer sun beating down on you, the city can really seem a daunting proposition for exploration. The location of the Holiday Inn however does not necessarily help this situation. It is not too well located, the subway is a good 15min or more walk...there are taxis, but they are getting expensive and thus not a good option for constant use...oh and dont get me started on the traffic! There are busses, but unless you read Chinese well, you might be totally confused. There are also these funny little back-seat covered mopeds, but they are not always around and its a very bumpy ride. Near the hotel are some nice sights like the Niujie Mosque and Fayuan Temple...but for those of you looking to explore the city and have this hotel as a base, it might be difficult, especially if you are there in the heat of summer or the bitter cold of winter...Beijing's winters are really really cold!

So in summary, go here for very good accommodations, great service and good food at a very reasonable price, but be aware...you will be having to navigate your way daily around the city from a location that might be central considering the several hundred kilometer expanse of the Beijing metro region, but not so central when you just look at the areas the average visitor will want to explore.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank euroschmau
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Central Plaza

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Good breakfast nice rooms had some issues with checkout and GM

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We have just returned from a 17 night stay at the holiday inn central plaza - the hotel was lovely with a very nice room. The breakfast was good each day with a good selection of food - the room was cleaned while we were at breakfast which was nice as we returned to a clean room to get ready for the day ahead. The only tiny thing that annoyed me was a lady in the coffee shop in the lobby told us we had to buy something if we wanted to sit there- given that we were staying over 2 weeks and spent a far bit each day in the coffee area I thought it a bit rude to say we couldn't sit there for 5 minutes while waiting for each other to come down from the room. Maybe some nice chairs in the lobby would be worthwhile? Storm the concierge was fantastic - he helped us arrange our days and was invaluable with his English skills. We would have been lost without him and I hope the hotel realizes what a credit he is to their establishment. Not to mention a very nice person!
Location wise not great as we had to catch a very crowded bus each day to the subway which took up to 40 mins some days and that wasn't in rush hour. Taxis are hard to get but the hotel was very good at getting them for us. Overall a great stay and I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank chillibin
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Concierge - Mr Storm Li set up a really nice trip for us to the Moshikou section of the Great Wall -- we basically had the whole wall to ourselves!! This I think was the best part of our China experience. The package included a private van with driver, time at the Wall and the waterfall Buddha, a delicious four plate lunch at a local and gracious resident's home, and a traditional massage treatment at another local village for about 800 yuan for 3 people. Storm also put together a sort of custom pkg for us to have a private taxi all day to see just sites we had on our list. If you want to see a lot of sites on a limited time budget, consider this option. Our party of three went shopping at two sites, saw two museums, Beihei Park, Olympic Village, and the Giant Panda in one day AND we liked the driver enough to have him take us to the airport on our last day. Storm does a thorough job setting up these things.

Location - Save your taxi drivers grief by showing them your room key sleeve, which has a phone number and a description of how to find the hotel in Chinese. They don't automatically know how to find this hotel otherwise.

ROOMS
Beds and bedding were very clean and comfortable
Towels were soft and bigger than average
Room keys, of all things, gave us repeated problems. This was VERY annoying and they need to fix it!!
Service was good to very good - The desk staff was polite and helpful. Door man got us a taxi fast. Restaurant staff was friendly and our maids even folded the dirty laundry I threw in the corner. And of course the concierge was very helpful and thorough.

Restaurant
Free breakfast is great. Friendly staff. Variety of western and local fare, athough food in serving trays should be hotter. Not cheap for other meals.

Other facilities
Didn't really use lounge or pool or weight room. Wished there was a hot tub on site after long days of touring. Hotel description says 'Spa'
but they do not mean hot tub.

• Stayed: December 2011
6  Thank SoCal_Ramblin
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stayed twice at this Holiday Inn as part of a tour package. It has one of the best breakfasts I have eaten in a hotel. There is a complete American/European selection and an excellent Chinese selection of food. Food is fresh, tasty and plentiful. You can pretty much skip lunch.

The rooms were large American sized rooms and nicely decorated. Service was very good. They provided good advice on where to eat. When I had a problem with my room lock, they were at my door in minutes to help. The hotel has a Bank money change machine that offers rates that are way better than the Airports which charge large service charges and not so great rates.

The only downside was that the hotel did not seem close to any major tourist sites. There is a nice park, Daguanyuan park that is around 15 minutes walk. Admissions is 40 yuan, I felt it was worth it for its beauty and history. Check it out if you have a couple of hours to spare.

I am strict believer in price performance. I checked the rates for the hotel on the Internet and saw prices in the $80 to low $100 a night for low season. For this kind of money, this hotel is an excellent value.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor for less road noise. If your room is too warm, the windows do open.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Middle_Aged_Guy
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Recently spent a week in Beijing at The Holiday Inn Central Plaza. Being our first trip to China we were very uncertain of how to book our toursa nd what highlights we could fit in when we were only there for a week.
After contacting several travel agencies we only becam more confused so we contacted the Hotel by email and asked for help through their concierge, Storm.
We have travelled extensively in many countries but Storm's service and attention to detail is unsurpassed. He personally ensures that all your arrangements will deliver the expectations that you have from making sure your picked up at the airport , ensuring your individual tours meet your expectations and that delivery to and from the hotel is within arrangements.
If you travelling to Beijing, don't look any further if you wish your visit to have that special quality that makes the holiday a memorable one. If you want it, Strom can arrange it.
On behalf of our party I w ould like to that Storm for his excellent service.
We will be back !

Ross Jan Lyn and Lenore

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank ross n
Reviewed 12 December 2011

In August, I traveled to Beijing with my three children. I choose the Holiday Inn Central plaza because of the wonderful reviews of the concierge, Storm. Traveling alone with three children, I wanted to make sure that I had someone reliable to help us with any problems or issues we may have encountered. I was not disappointed in my choice! Storm was unbelievable and he was even better than all of the rave reviews he has received on Tripadvisor. Storm went above and beyond on a regular basis. He met was us daily and helped us plan our day, complete with transportation needs, cautions and sight seeing tips.

Seeing the Great Wall is a highlight for every trip to China. Storm took the day off, rented a van and took us to visit two sections of the wall. After the first section, he organized lunch at a local farmers house. We enjoyed a feast of fresh fish and many other authentic Chinese dishes. For the second section of the wall, Storm arranged for the village medicine woman to escort us. We walked though walnut and plum orchards to a remote section of the wall. After exploring a guard tower, we continued uphill to a spring where we enjoyed cool spring water, fresh fruit and nuts and a wonderful view of the mountains and the great wall. After coming down from the mountain we were treated to tea and moon cakes at another villagers house. It was truly an unforgettable experience for my family.

That was just one of the many wonderful experiences that Storm planned for us. Every day was another exciting, magnificent adventure! We spent a day traveling by rickshaw, visited an orphanage, took a bullet train to see the breathtaking Longmen grottoes, walked through the Pagoda Forest at Shaolin, and viewed first hand the incredible Terracotta soldiers. Every step of the way, Storm was there for us. He went after work to get our train tickets, arranged for a tour guide and hotel when we traveled out of Beijing and even arranged for us to spend our last night at the home of the village medicine woman, Zhang. Zhang prepared a home cooked farmers feast for us and gave us a fabulous tour of her village.

My children and I both agree that our trip to china was a thrilling and an eye opening experience. We could not have experienced China as we did, if it were not for the dedication and expertise of Storm. Our remarkable trip was due largely to Storms invaluable knowledge of the country, culture and people. I cannot say enough about Storm. He is truly a professional in every sense of the word and knows what to do and see in Beijing. If you are going to Beijing than you must go and see Storm Li. He will make sure that your trip will be as awe-inspiring as ours was!

Room Tip: Email Storm Li the concierge prior to your trip and he will arrange for transportation to the hotel...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family