“Wonderful day on the Great Wall from Jiankou to Mutianyu - hereisbeijing.com”

Beijing Great Wall Hiking
Book In Advance
Private Hiking Day Tour: Huanghuacheng Great Wall from Beijing including Lunch
Private Hiking Day Tour to Mutianyu Great Wall including Lunch
Private Hiking Day Tour: Jiankou Great Wall from Beijing including Lunch
Ranked #23 of 127 Outdoor Activities in Beijing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Jin Private Great Wall Hiking and Camping Tours is one of the most knowledgeable and trusted tour guide companies based in Beijing. We specialize in personalized, custom designed Great Wall Hiking and Forbiddencity,Tian'anmen sqare,Summer Place ...Beijing tour with your complete satisfaction in mind. Whether you're a solo traveler, with your family or in a group, we guarantee your delight as we go with you on unforgettable adventures through the wonders of Beijing even China! You choose us tour you choose right ! Our will give nice trip!!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 9 May 2016

I booked a day trip to the Great Wall on hereisbeijing.com just the evening before the D day. This is the lowest price I found after a quick search on Internet and I can tell you that the services provided by John, the driver, are really great for such a good deal!

John came to pick me up the next morning at my hotel. John is super friendly, is a really safe driver and can speak English. He took me to a small village 2 hours from Beijing which is located below the Jiankou section of the Great Wall. From there, John explained me how to reach the wall on foot (45 minutes walk) and walked with me the first 5 minutes to make sure I would take the right path. He also gave me 2 maps with really clear indications (it was impossible to get lost) and even gave me a local cell phone so that I could reach him anytime in case I need some help and to keep him updated of my situation.

The section where I started is not open to public normally, because it is non restored. However, there were quite a lot of Chinese tourists walking on that section that day (I was there on a Sunday). This section is great because it is wild and in the middle of the mountains. The view is beautiful from there. I walked from tower 23 to tower 6 (which is in the Mutianyu section, this part of the Great Wall is all restored and renovated). This is great, because you can walk from a non restored section (which is normally forbidden for tourists) to a totally renovated one, so you can enjoy 2 different ambiences on the Wall.

When you reach the Mutianyu section, you have different options to exit the wall: either take a cable car at tower 14 or tower 6, or take a path between towers 14 and 6 to walk down the mountain, or take the toboggan from tower 6. I picked the last option, and the ride down was really fun!! Then John told me to take a shuttle bus from there to reach the front entrance of the Mutianyu section located 10 minutes drive from there. John was waiting for me there, and waited for me 1 more hour than the original schedule we agreed together because I took too many pictures on the Great Wall and was late at the meeting point. But John wasn't angry at me at all, he was happy that I had a good time on the Wall and enjoyed my day there. He even offered me a gift at the end, really unexpected and a very nice surprise. As I had a flight in the evening, John proposed to take me directly at the airport after my visit at the Great Wall.

As a summary, I definitely enjoyed walking this part of the Great Wall, the landscape and the sceneries all around are beautiful. I definitely recommend you to book your tour with John on hereisbeijing.com You will get all the information and services that you need to enjoy and walk on the Great Wall on your own, which is for me the best way to enjoy this kind of monument. You can manage your time as you want, and if you want to stay longer somewhere because you like the view and just want to enjoy it longer, you can do it as you want. Again, John is really really friendly, he lived in the US so he speaks really good English, he will take care of you during the car ride and while you are on the Great Wall by texting you from time to time to make sure everything is fine and you won't probably be able to find a cheaper price for this kind of tour.

2  Thank galak32
There are newer reviews for Beijing Great Wall Hiking

Reviewed 30 April 2016

Jin is a very reliable tour guide who has a lot of experience and knowledge . We had a good time on the Jiankou great wall. The hiking is fun and safe. I know Jin from my friend, and I will definitely recommend him to my friends as well. And will definitely go with him for more adventure! Btw, his car is the cleanest I've ever seen, and very comfortable!

Reviewed 21 March 2016 via mobile

Jin is a very reliable, professional and awesome tour guide!! The tour with him was very nice, as he has a lot of experience and knowledge, all went very smoothly. I sent a lot friends to do a tour with him already and can really recommend him for any part of the Great Wall! Jiankou is very a adventurous part and includes some hiking and climbing, so be aware of that :)

1  Thank Julia W
Reviewed 9 November 2015

Jin Is Awesome.
We did the Mutianyu Wild Wall hike. It was the best.
You start off hiking straight up 1,000ft for an hour. When you reach the wall and begin the hike down. When you first start out on the wall it is overgrown and reclaimed by nature. Very cool to see. You walk along this part of the wall for an hour and see no other tourist. Then you get to the part of the wall that is refurbished and start to see more tourist.
Jin takes pictures of you for you. He is very knowledgeable, knows everything there is to know about the wall.
At the end of the trip he takes you to a place to get lunch. The food is hot and delicious!
Jin speaks english and that was very helpful. He picks you up at your hotel and drops you right back off there. That was VERY convenient.

James T, Manager at Beijing Great Wall Hiking, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2015

Dear ! How are you? Thank you so much for the EXCELLENT trip advisor review! It is certainly our great pleasure to host you here! Lina is very excited to read it! On behalf of my team we thank you so much for taking Jin's Tours! May you have lovely autum & be back Beijing soon! We await you...

Reviewed 31 October 2015

After having a great day hiking the wall I had decided to put off seeing the Chinese Acrobat show till the following day however Jin told me that we were already on the way there. He waited patiently whilst I saw the show before taking me back to where I was staying. It had all been very enjoyable but then he hit me up for more money as he had to wait whilst I saw the show. It was VERY disappointing that he had not mentioned the fact it was going to cost more, I did not get the choice of agreeing on a renegotiated price.

1  Thank Dana B

You kow our frist talking the price not included us wait for you about 2 hs, how do you think if you wait us 2 hs? Jin and Driver wait for you 2hs just cost you 100RMB!!!!