“Not a bad place to stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Joiest Beijing

Days Inn Joiest Beijing
Ranked #2,866 of 6,208 Hotels in Beijing
USA
“Not a bad place to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights and was very comfortable. The location is good and pleasant and interesting walks are close. It is not too far from the Forbidden City. The front of the hotel is on a busy typical street, but out the back window you could see a Hutong neighborhood being torn down in favor of "progress". See my attached photo of this interesting area, which will likely be gone very soon. The rooms were fine, clean and of average quality. What little contact I had with front desk was just fine. For the money it is "not a bad place to stay". I would stay there again without question.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

I stayed at the Days Inn Joiest Beijing for 3 nights in September 2010. I booked this hotel with Expedia.

My stay at the Days Inn Joiest Beijing was completely unpleasant. I handed over a copy of my reservation for the hotel to the staff upon checking into the hotel and after 15 minutes was given the keys to my room. At this point the hotel requested a deposit of 300 Chinese Yuan.

I know it is standard practice for hotels to take credit cards as security deposits to cover things like the mini bar but I thought that the cash deposit of 300 Chinese Yuan (£28) was allot of money for a hotel that cost me just £17 a night when I booked through Expedia.

I attempted to question the staff on reception as to why they required this deposit, however the staff did not understand me speaking in English, therefore I assumed it would be a security deposit to cover the mini bar and any accidentals.

I proceeded to the hotel room I had allocated to find that that my room wasn’t ready because the cleaners where still cleaning to the room! – I had to go and wait in reception while the cleaners finished “cleaning” the room.

The room itself was absolutely disgusting and unclean with cigarette matches underneath the bed. The bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in and the bathroom looked filthy. My room was a located right near the lift and it was impossible to be able to relax in the room due to the hotel guests talking and shouting while waiting for the lift.

For the first and second night while in the hotel at around 9pm on both nights the phone rang from the massage place in reception asking me if i wanted a “massage”. The hotel posted erotic cards with a phone number under my door while I was out. I found this extremely annoying and would not have expected this from a “Days Inn”.

After returning from a tiring day trip to the Great Wall of China I went upto my room and went to bed. At around 11:30pm during this night I was awoken up when the phone in my room went once again, this time it wasn’t to ask me if I wanted a “massage” but it was someone from the reception desk informing me that I would have to pay a ANOTHER deposit of 900 Chinese Yuan (£85) and come to the hotel reception “immediately”.

Aware of the previous difficulties I had faced with the staff at this hotel with their nonexistent English, I went downstairs with my laptop and was able to connect to the free hotel wi-fi in the loby to access a translation website to effectively translate my English to Chinese.

Through this it became apparent that the hotel had never received my reservation from Expedia, or the money I had prepaid for the hotel room on the Expedia website. At this point I became very concerned. I was very tired as the time was nearly midnight at this point and agreed to pay another “deposit”

I tried to contact Expedia and after 15 minutes trying to get through to them all my mobile phone credit had been taken due to the high cost of making international calls on my mobile. I then sent them an email and the next day I got a phone call back confirming that I had paid for my hotel and Expedia also informed me that they had attempted to phone the hotel but the staff at the hotel does not speak any English. Expedia said they would contact the hotel by email.

Upon checking out of the hotel the hotel refused to refund me my deposit and instead used this to pay for my room again (I HAD ALREADY PAID FOR THE ROOM ON EXPEDIA!!). The hotel staff did not care that I had paid for the room on Expedia, as I have mentioned above they claim they never received my reservation or the money from Expedia.

All of the staff at the hotel are unhelpful. When I spoke in English, the one hotel staff just laughed at me as she didn’t understand any English. No-one attempted to phone Expedia up and verify my reservation. I still don’t understand why the hotel allowed me to check in if they did not receive my reservation!

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank LukeyUK

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels

New Delhi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

I accompanied my husband since he is a Sports person and had to represent India
at the WVTTA – 2010 held in June at Hohhot in China. We were altogether 33 in number from different states of India.

On the way back we stopped in Beijing (China) mainly to do some shopping and
sightseeing since we heard that China is the hub for shopping and one can get
good things at reasonable rates.

We stayed at Days Inn Joiest, Beijing for 3 days. This is supposed to be rated a four
star hotel but sorry I think this is wrong. The hotel as such from outside looks good
and one could judge it as a four star. But the moment you enter the hotel from inside does not look at all like a four star. Moreover the whiff of smoke and cigarette smell just puts one off. Even the corridors smell the same.

The staff working at the lobby are not at all cooperative and helpful. Firstly the
language makes it more difficult. Even if ones needs assistance in changing currency
which they usually do, but they hesitate since they do not trust anyone thinking
they will receive fake notes from guests, which is not a right approach to their guests.

The rooms in the hotel are not very impressive but yes the rooms are clean but very
small. Even the toilets are small and not made in a practical sense. A transparent
glass separates the bedroom from the toilet and one can see through the glass.

There is not much facility in the room. No fridge, no PC but if you have your laptop, one can use internet Wif-fi of the hotel. Only a TV for entertainment. Even the beds were very hard and not comfortable at all.

What I liked, was the breakfast which is very good and plenty to eat and drink. Even
The staff working there is very cooperative and helpful. All the time smiling and
doing their best to serve the best.

Of course if I do get a chance to visit Beijing again, I do not think I will like to stay
here again. Location wise the hotel has the advantage of having the Silk unit across
the road, so one can go and look around and shop here. Otherwise it’s far from the
rest of the shopping areas of Beijing.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank charlottesbnb
perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

I was in Beijing recently for business and i gotta saythat i was very pleased with the folks at Days Inn Joiest, Beijing. Although there was a lack of communication (i don't speak mandarin, they speak very little english) they tried their very best to help and accommodate us.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Bathurst1000
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

To start I would never stay in this hotel again!

Our tour agency guaranteed us that this was a four-star hotel and that was the furthest from the truth! Upon entering you had to endure the reeking smell of smoke. Interestingly enough there were no smoking signs plastered all over the place, but the waitress was kind enough to provide people with ashtrays. The overall quality of the hotel was very poor and not newly renovated like stated by our tour guide.

Once in our room, we were greeted with peeling wallpaper, hair and dirt on the floor, a corroded faucet, and a nasty, small shower. The room was really small and very unclean.

We were on a tour with three other people and they all had problems with their rooms. They were dirty, the heat didn't work in one room, and others smelled of smoke. When we complained, we were offered other rooms. They were slightly larger, but the same quality. There was even a hole in the bedspread in our "better" room.

The only redeeming factor about this hotel was that the hotel staff was nice. They weren't always that helpful, but at least they were polite.

Overall, I would never stay at this hotel again. It totally ruined our trip!

• Disliked — It was really dirty.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DLNLKD
Evansville, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2008

Our tour accidently booked us in this hotel instead of the Days Inn Hotel and Suites on Hua Wei. On first entering the hotel, I was overwelmed with the smell of cigarette smoke. The lobby was drab and dirty. We were forced to spend one night here. We asked for a non smoking room and the desk person said we did have a non smoking room, but the room had an ash tray. The ventalation system was horrible and all night long we were stifled with cigarette smoke from other rooms. We opened the window. However, all night long metal workers were loading trucks under our window. We hardly slept at all. We were miserable. The staff was barely helpful when an alarm kept going off when we closed our door. Would never reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2008

My husband and I paid too much money to stay at this supposed 4 star hotel. It is a sub-par 2 star and that is only because they have a lobby and a door man. When I am done writing this review, I am going to give an earful to our 'travel agent'.

The hotel is filthy. We stayed on the third floor and all of the carpets in the hall are stained badly, maybe from serious water damage.

We decided to take the stairs to the morning buffet on the fourth floor and what a shock: years /decades of dirt and dust, piles of old furniture and garbage, not to mention the stairs were never finished and were just creaking wood and bare dirty cement walls.

Our bathroom was never cleaned properly. Each day we'd return to our room to see gross stranger's hair and debris behind the bathroom door. We asked for our shower drain to be cleaned and it never was. Every shower we took the shower overflowed (no bathtub).

Please don't stay here. I'm sure you can find much better accommodation elsewhere for a decent price.

• Liked — Smiling Front Desk Staff
  • Disliked — Dirty Bathroom Everyday
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)