All reviews basement room forbidden city great location walking distance subway station minute walk queen bed budget hotel wangfujing shopping street food street chinese restaurant tiananmen english wall china cab taxis
Reviewed June 12, 2018

I was a bit hesitant to stay in the basement rooms as there were some negative reviews, but went ahead as the location was excellent and the price was very good as well for my solo trip. It turned out I was totally ok with the basement rooms with a queen bed. I had imagined it having no windows, but there were actually windows out the the ground level along the top of the rooms, so sunlight was visable. The air conditioning worked great, bottled water was provided for free, the showers and everything worked well. So, as I was out all day anyway, I just came to sleep. Internet was spotty for parts of the day and was strong other parts of the day, but I was at one end of the hotel. Yes, the carpet and walls definitely had some wear and tear, but I would consider it stained with use and not dirty. There is a safe and closet to hang clothes. The maids did a good job cleaning and changing the sheets. It was very easy to get here from the airport as I just took the airport express to the end and jumped on the subway which was easy to navigate. The location was great, as was very near the forbidden city, metro, shopping, food streets, etc. I thought the hotel staff was all very helpful, even the maids, but you have to understand that English is not the first language so that, in any culture, people are a bit hesitant to get started. For breakfast, I tried the hotel one the first day which seemed sort of minimal but inexpensive, but would recommend going to other places on other days for variety. The place across the street had a good buffet for a little more but included omelet chef made to order eggs, and more variety.
Overall, I would stay here again by myself no problem. If I was bringing a bigger family, you could stay here if you are on a budget, but I would prefer to spend more at a more posh hotel as this is all a preference of what your goal is.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank tamio
Reviewed June 11, 2018 via mobile

Consider stay in this hotel only because of its convenient location and/or price. Rooms are pretty damp with filthy carpet (photo attached). Also, avoid to stay at basement rooms. No air circulation at all.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ana L
Reviewed May 29, 2018

Pros: The location was superb. Walking distance to the forbidden city, Tienanmen square, pedestrian walk-way and a large park. Lots of options for food, and within a 10-min walk to a vegetarian/vegan restaurant. The hotel offers tours and the hotel has a western/Chinese restaurant attached if you're worried about food options. The staff spoke English and was courteous.

Cons: The helpfulness of staff was inconsistent. One staff member was great, however we mostly ran into sub-par service. The rooms themselves felt dirty and dungy. You are paying for the location.

Room Tip: Don't get a basement room: the rooms are small and dungy on their own, you need the window.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley A
Reviewed May 10, 2018 via mobile

Take day tour covering forbidden city and great Wall. It will itself cover tea tasting, authentic Chinese lunch delicious duck and chicken, with over view of city.

A literally talking bird worth 10 grand, woh just reapeats what ever u speak was seen at beginning of great Wall.
Place is jackpot for non-vegetarians.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2018

We stayed in the budget rooms (in the basement) but since we didn't spend much time in the hotel this was not really important. People were helpful and spoke enough english. The rooms were clean and had everything we needed. Too bad about that chinese guest who found it necessary to have a really loud phone call right in front of our door at 3 am but that's not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family