“Awesome location & clean but basic requirements missing.”

Yesinn Hostel Fortress Hill
Sydney, Australia
“Awesome location & clean but basic requirements missing.”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We booked Yesinn via a hostel booking website and made up our mind before arriving to expect less. But actually was much better than expected.
Me & my wife traveled to HK & stayed at YesInn for a week. The weather was cool & pleasant. When we arrived at the Hostel office at the Fortres hill station we were checked in immediately upon full payment. We had booked a Double ensuite & were told it is in another building two subway stations away. We were fine about that cause they had a janitor who took us there in a cab. Upon arrival I realized there is no elevator & our room is two floors up. My bag was heavy & I got tired carrying it up 4 flights of stairs.
The room is tiny but clean. The location was awesome. Right in the middle of Causeway bay area. Sogo Department square is 1min away. Couple of things were not right. The Bathroom is too tiny & the shower is right above the pot & it is kind of annoying. The toilet seat was broken & I had to call the Hostel on my International roaming phone & complain about it. But the seat was replaced by the janitor the next morning. No Toilet paper so the janitor bought us some. We were ready to buy them anyway if he had not got them.
Ok now here is worst for me... NO wash basin. None at all. So brushing my teeth & shaving was a big task. I had to use the kitchenette sink with no mirror & no hot water.
So conclusion: Since it was our first time in Hong Kong we had an awesome time there because of the location but thing could have been better.
I would still recommend it if u are ok with these minor issues.

Room Tip: Book the double en-suite & make sure it the one at the Jardine Crescent, Causeway Bay area.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank parag_331

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I've been to Hong Kong before and know that budget accommodation means a small room. Our room at the Yesinn was the smallest we have ever had - so small in fact that the bed was not even long enough for my husband to lay on (he's 5ft8) and clothes had to be hung from a washing line over the bed. The bed was also rock hard so a poor night's sleep all round. Our room was clean and quiet but we could hear when people in the next room flushed the toilet or took a shower.

Location-wise Yesinn was good - close to the A11 airport bus stop and the Fortress Hill MTR station. Plenty of little supermarkets and restaurants nearby too.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank razorsharp2505

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I came across Yes Inn through one of the blogs which i read while searching for budget accommodation in HK. Stayed there for 2 nights. There were 4 of us but we had booked a room for a 6 bedder because the room for 4pax were all fully booked. Room was small but clean. Pretty basic but thankfully, they provided a hairdryer and plenty of hangers. Location is alright with the Fortress Hill station less than 5min walk away and there are plenty of shops and eateries around, including a supermarket. However, what i dislike is the fact that the reception and the accommodation is not located in the same building. It's quite a hassle for people with many luggages and certainly not funny when you have just arrived in HK after a long flight and you are tired. Thankfully, i was warned beforehand after reading the reviews from tripadvisor.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank WendyTan
chennai
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Yesinn even though its a serviced appratments,the rooms and service of the yesinn is great.We stayed for a 5days in a double bedroom,i never felt bad for anything.The room was small but that is ok for the tourist,coz we been there to discover the city and sightseeing not to run the life and i was very impressed by the friendliness and relaxed attitude of the two female receptionists. Was reassured on checking in that room was very nice, and yes, it had been recently refurbished. However, there were some issues. No heating (and unfortunately for us it was a cold week), I agree that they are not the best apartments in the world but they are clean, located very close to MRT/Tram/Taxi/Bus going out and well equipped.

The best part in yesinn is they will provide you microwave ,fridge,etc Its a home away home accommodation .

Thanks to yesinn for help us to Discover Hongkong.

Room Tip: All the rooms are awesome
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank cckamal
manila
Reviewed 14 December 2011

nice location near MTR and A11 airport bus. Booked through their website and paid DP. request of same building as reception was granted as i was travelling with senior parents. tiny room was expected also. do not forget to switch on the heater at least 10mins before taking a bath as hot water is not that instant. bad experience: room was not cleaned on first day. trashcan was still full and beds were unmade. i don't think they even opened our room to check. informed them the next day and they said they always double-check if rooms are cleaned. they said they will clean it that day. we got back midnight and found the trash was taken out and i think they also swept the floors BUT the bed was unmade. are hostels really like this?

TV was not working the whole duration of stay. already complained in the morning but when we got back at midnight, still not working. went to receptionist to tell them that. receptionist asked for my room number and name. she said she will just relay it in the morning (which was fine since i do not expect them to fix it right then and there as it was not a hotel). i said i was on unit 15 but forgot the exact room number, but i said it was beside the storage area. she just cut me off and said she was not permitted to go around and she was just there at night ONCE A WEEK. i was like "ok ok ok". Kind of pissed as i know they can check my room number by looking up my name in their computer (which is one of the purposes of having a computer). then the next night as i was at the reception area to use the computer, i saw the same receptionist! hmmmm.....im pretty sure she said she was there only ONCE A WEEK.....

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank marts_8
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Most hostel in HK are small and located in mansions that aren´t the most nicest places, Yessinn does not make a exception in this. We stayed 3 nights in 8 bed dorm, room was small but quite okay. There is only a small locker for things so there is no place to but your bags. Cant really say I have any major complains about the place, its overall okay not great but okay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElsaJo
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 October 2011

The main purpose for a room in Hong Kong was to have a place to sleep and store my stuff. However, sleeping proved to be near to impossible in this heavily over priced walk in closet they call a room. For a European a 180 cm bed is in general too small, but was all that fitted in the closet. If you're if even a tad bit claustrophobic, you're going to suffer here on the 16th floor. There's hardly any natural light. A bathroom was the size of a toilet and included the toilet. I feared I had to stand in the toilet for a shower, but managed to stand next to it. Don't forget to remove the toilet paper before you take a shower. On the first night I thought somebody had entered my room. It seemed somebody was talking, standing next to me. It appeared to be on the other side of a (closed) sliding door, separating my room from the neighboor. Only after a few sleepless nights I could manage to sleep some hours. In the early morning people taking the elevator would wake me up anyway, or a radio somewhere in the building, or somebody cooking food. I also received numerous biting markings over my body, mainly on my legs and lower arms and severly around my ankles. Is suspect the blanket that was provided. Back at home, I'm freed from them.
The reception was situated in another building. Something to keep in mind upon checking out. Going down 16 floors, walk 700 m, crossing 2 streets with a suitcase in dense area and going up 5 floors again. Or for the time I ran out of toilet paper. I had to express some urgency by the time I got to the reception.
However, Fortress Hill metro station is close by and it's convenient to travel along the subway system. Still, nothing of interest is within true walking distance. Shops, sights and pubs all need some means of transportation. Coming back from a pub make sure you have the name of the road (Kings Road) written in Chinese on a piece of paper, because the (Chinese) taxi drivers will not have a clue if you pronounce the English road name or metro station.

I was not applying for much comfort and Hong Kong ground prices are high, but at 400 HK$ a night this was certainly bad value for the money. Upon checking in full payment of the total stay was required. I will never do this again. If necessary I will book a room for 1 or 2 nights max and pay for that and extend later. Even at the risk of a full hostel.

Room Tip: RUN, run away while you can..!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo