“A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME”

Jumbo Kingdom Floating Restaurant
Ranked #1,101 of 10,847 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood, Australian
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Jumbo Kingdom is an internationally renowned tourist attraction in Hong Kong, providing a unique dining experience for its customers in the past three decades. We are best known for fresh seafood, traditional Cantonese cuisine and dim sum. Jumbo is also an ideal venue for business entertaining, corporate meetings and banquets. We have a selection of banquet halls and multi-function rooms capable of accommodating more than 700 guests. Jumbo Kingdom is located at Hong Kong Island South, we provide free shuttle ferry at Aberdeen Promenade Pier and Wong Chuk Hang Shum Wan Pier, just 15 minutes away from Central and Causeway Bay.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We caught the Star Ferry from Kowloon side to Central and caught a bus ( 70/75/72A all go to Aberdeen) to the waterfront from Exchange Square Bus Terminal. There were many touts pushing and shoving along the promenade trying to sell us a sampan ride over to the restaurant but having been there before I was aware of the FREE ferry they run over which leaves quite frequently.
It’s about a 10-minute walk from where the bus drops you to the actual jetty where the Jumbo Kingdom ferry leaves from, and it is on the other side of the promenade toilet block, so keep walking once you pass it.
Ferries run frequently to no schedule so you won’t wait too long on the wharf.
The terminal for the FREE FERRY is easy to recognise as its brightly coloured and could be called “loud” in its design (similar to the Jumbo Kingdom itself)
On arrival at the restaurant, we asked for the bar expecting to have a few beverages before lunch. There is NO bar, and the hostess didn’t seem at all interested in directing us in for lunch.
We climbed the staircase ourselves and admired the wonderful tapestry taking photos as we went and then arrived at the top deck at the restaurants reception area.
We asked after a table for two but were declined. We are still not sure if we were under dressed (we both had long pants on and a t-shirt) or whether we should have made a booking. With 2000 seats at the Jumbo Kingdom I had assumed a booking wouldn’t be necessary.
I have eaten there before and I know the food is mediocre but it is just the ambience you go for. The Jumbo Kingdom is an establishment and an experience in itself, having served some of the world’s most important people over the years. From my last visit, the service wasn’t that crash hot either. But on this occasion, we sadly couldn’t get a seat. So we bussed back to Causeway Bay and took lunch there very disappointed.
I wouldn’t come back again, and if anything, they need………………. IT’S A BAR!!!!! For pre lunch/dinner drinks and some warm welcoming staff.

3  Thank Kerrien
Write a ReviewReviews (1,445)

Reviewed April 4, 2018

The place is very nice and it is a very particular restaurant but the food is not amazing and is very very expensive for the quality and quantity of the food. As you get into the restaurant you get a really strong smell of fish and seafood which I think is not normal. Massively disappointing. Will not go back.

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Is it an overpriced tourist trap- yes. But you probably knew that already. You will get what you expect reasonable average Chinese food and seafood in a cool setting. The boat is unique and splendid and you are really going for the experience.

1  Thank Josh K
Reviewed March 31, 2018

Emailed them 1 week prior to ask if they serve giant garouper, their liver and lips. They confirmed that they do and will reserve a portion of each for me. However, on arrival the Restaurant Manager replied nonchalantly that they do not serve these and that the email was from the Sales Dept and that I should refer my complaint to the latter. A case of head don't know what the tail is doing!Lodged my complaint at second floor office only to be told that the giant garouper flesh is available but the liver and lips will not be available as it would not be fresh to keep for more than a day! This suggests that the flesh isn't fresh...am I rite to assume that? I will never go back!!!!!!!

1  Thank Colin L
Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

Massively disappointing. I’ve had better Chinese food in the UK. It’s over priced, the courses were luke warm and came out too fast so went cold quickly. Drinks are extra and at £4 for a small water it’s expensive.

It was also freezing cold in there and I was uncomfortable for the whole hour we were there.