“A good value of money while staying in Hong Kong”

Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong
Ranked #75 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 4 March 2017

I’ve spent 11 nights at the Dorsett Mongkok during my ‘working’ vacation in Hong Kong. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a local hotel due to the nature of my trip (solo travel, minimum time spent at the hotel) yet needed a hotel which would provide with a good night’s rest, a good shower, be clean, modern, free/good wi-fi and with good transportation options nearby. I’m happy to say that the hotel has, for the most part, delivered and suited my needs during my visit.

The services/experiences I’m reviewing were all the services that I’ve used at the hotel. I’m not reviewing any non-used service.

Hong Kong is quite expensive when it comes to mid range and up hotels. I normally look for 4 star rated hotels and up. For any known international hotel brand, you will pay be paying 150 USD and more for such a hotel. So, when I’ve discovered that this hotel would cost me 85 USD per night on average. Has a 4 star rating and has a lot of good reviews, I’ve proceeded to book my stay.

For my needs, as mentioned above, the price was very competitive compared to other options in HK. However, having stayed in other 4 star rated hotels in Asia and the world, I personally would not rate this as a 4 star hotel, more akin to 3-3.5 stars, depending on the service the hotel offered.

As part of my hotel deal (they offer many deals if booking on their hotel website) I’ve received:
- Free daily breakfast
- Free Wi-fi
- Late checkout

Hotel Location / Transportation:
The hotel is right next to a busy street with the W Kowloon Overpass route flowing above it. Staying on the 26th floor, I wasn’t bothered by any street noise though. I haven’t explored any local bus route options, nor have I used the free shuttle buses the hotel offers to various areas of the city at certain intervals during the day.
I took the Airport Express train from the airport to Kowloon Station. There, you can jump on a free hotel shuttle bus, making rounds in the Kowloon-Mongkok area, dropping off people at their various hotels. Dorsett-Mongkok was shuttle bus number 5.

I’ve also paid an extra 140 HKD for a shuttle bus from the hotel to the airport. It was convenient and much cheaper than a taxi. You can always take the free shuttle bus to Kowloon station and hop on the Airport Express back to the airport. That would cost 90 HKD in total but more of a hassle.

My main mode of transportation during my stay was walking, the MTR, local taxis and Uber.

The nearest MTR station is ‘Olympic’ (orange Tung Chung Line), about 5-10 minutes walking distance. A big mall is connected to it (Olympic City I-III). This MTR line is helpful to get to Kowloon and Hong Kong stations (Airport Express may be taken from these stations), as well as to Disneyland HK (Sunny Bay MTR station) and Lantau Island’s attractions (Tung Chung station, a bus/taxi from there to Tian Tan Buddha etc…).

To use the MTR in Kowloon/Hong Kong Island, your best bet is to walk 10-15 min. from the hotel to MTR ‘Mongkok’ station and use the red ‘Tsuen Wan’ line. It’s a bit of a walk on the streets of Mongkok and after a long day of wandering around HK, I usually preferred to use a taxi/Uber.

In general I found that the location of the hotel compared to the location of the MTR stations wasn’t a major issue in the beginning of my day but rather bothersome after a long day of exploring and returning to the hotel at night.

My biggest gripe during this trip (which has nothing to do with the hotel) were the local red urban taxis. They are cheaper to use than in most other places, especially when compared to other large cities but I found the service to be very poor, horrendous when comparing the standard of public transportation in genral. It made returning to the hotel at night using a red taxi difficult and frustrating. That’s why I’ve found myself using Uber most of the time which provided a much better experience (this coming from a person who never/didn’t care to use Uber prior to this trip). So, if you’re in need of a taxi/private public vehicle ride back to the hotel, I’d choose Uber (which wasn’t much more expensive than the red taxis).

There is a supermarket across the street from the hotel (‘Wellcome’ chain of supermarkets) which is very useful. A ‘Watsons’ drugstore is next to the supermarket. You’ll also find a ‘Bank of China’ branch/atm across the street, about 1-2 minutes’ walk south on ‘Tai Kok Tsui’ road (the name of the road the hotel is located on). There are plenty of eateries (McDonald’s across the street) nearby but I haven’t eaten there. As mentioned, a large shopping mall is at ‘Olympic City’, 5-10 walking distance south.

The Hotel: General

The hotel is in a narrowly tall building (27 floors if I remember correctly. The lobby is modern and well kept. The hotel in general smelled pleasant and was clean.
This is a popular hotel and busy. Many people had had the same idea as me and decided to choose this hotel. The guests seemed to be from all over the world, yet with a general feel that most have come from Mainland China / East Asia. I’ve noticed that the hotel is popular with tour groups and families. The two elevators are always in use. You might find yourself waiting a while for an elevator. Day and night, the lobby was busy.

The staff that I’ve met were friendly and helpful. English was understood/spoken.

The breakfast was good and fulfilling, offering a good selection of a western style breakfast (eggs, meat, cereals, bread, vegetables / salad, fruit, juice, coffee etc..) as well as ‘Asian’-local options such as Dim Sum, noodles, rice, congee etc…

The Hotel Room:

I was pleased that the hotel fulfilled my request for a high floor room (26th floor) and a double bed in my ‘room comfort’ room. It is their smallest room.
The room was located close to the elevators and I could hear people/cleaners outside of my room. However, it wasn’t noisy at night + I’m a heavy sleeper.
The view facing west on the 26th floor was fantastic. A very urban view (however, there are no buildings that are very close to you) and the signature slim HK skyscrapers.

The room is indeed small and space is at a premium. I was travelling solo but with 2 large checked luggage. The luggage occupied most of the floor space in the room. I’ve had to close up one of the suitcases before leaving every morning so that housekeeping could clean the room. My guess that 2 people with similar luggage would find this room size uncomfortable so I’d opt for a larger room.

The bathroom (or more accurately, an area of the room with a sliding door) was clean and modern, albeit compact as the rest of the room. Not a lot of space to store things. However, the water pressure in the shower was good, temperature was hot when needed to be and the rain shower head was very satisfying after a long day of exploring.

The most important part of the room, the bed, was very comfortable. I’ve slept well.

2 free bottles of water are offered + a mini fridge/bar. I haven’t personally used the mini bar because of the supermarket right next to the hotel.

There is a good-sized wall mounted TV in the room. I haven’t used it though.

The internet wi-fi was fast and reliable.

There is a small safe for valuables/documents.

There is a desk in the room and a chair.

If I recall, there were 4 electrical sockets in the room while the hotel provided 1 adaptor for the local sockets. Bring your own travel adaptors / converters if needed.

A cool thing that the hotel does is to let you use a local ‘Handy’ mobile phone during your stay, with high speed 3G internet and free calls to several countries like the Australia, US, Canada, UK, Mainland China, Japan, Korea etc… Once my local sim card time period of use ran out, I’ve simply tethered my native country’s mobile phone to the ‘Handy’ mobile phone provided by the hotel and basically had free wi-fi in HK. However, I found that the ‘Handy’ mobile phone’s battery does not last a full day so plan accordingly (external battery, turn it on part of the time etc…)

The cleaning staff performed their duties well. They’ve even slipped a note under the door when I haven’t pressed the button indicating that I wanted my room cleaned on one of the days during my visit.

Summary:

Personally, the hotel’s location could have been better due to its distance from transportation to the locations I’ve spent most of my time in HK (HK Island). Had I known what I know now, I would look for another hotel closer to my areas of focus in the city. I’d have to pay more money though for a hotel with similar services as this one but in a more accessible location. If you know which area of HK you’ll be spending most of your time, this hotel’s location in respect to transportation should definitely be considered.

Also, consider the size of your party prior to booking. The ‘comfort room’ I was staying in is good for 1 person, possibly 2 persons with minimal luggage.

To summarize, The Dorsett Mongkok was an overall good choice during my stay in Hong Kong, especially when considering the services you shall receive for the price that you pay. If I find myself in Hong Kong again, spending most of my time in Kowloon and was looking again for a similarly priced/level of hotel (3-3.5 stars), I’d choose the Dorsett Mongkok again.

Room Tip: High floor, away from elevators, west view for best views
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank GlobeTrotterAlpha
DorsettWanchaiHK, General Manager at Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

Thank you for staying with us.

We truly appreciate your time to provide us your valuable feedbacks. We are glad that you were happy with your stay found our service to be good. We hope the next time you can try our Executive Room, which comes with free lounge use. For bigger room space, you may consider our Suite Premier with ensuite bathroom that comes with a walk-in shower and bathtub. We are sorry to learn of your not-so-pleasant encounter with the local taxi drivers, unfortunately, this is the only thing we have no control over. However, you may take our daily free shuttle bus to Kowloon Station on your next trip because it is only one station away from Hong Kong Station, and this would save you the hassle of walking or getting a taxi.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Hong Kong.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,811)

Reviewed 4 March 2017

Room small and basic looking onto a wall and location I would say more downtown but plenty of restaurants and food places. The saving grace for this hotel is the free shuttle bus to about 6 locations and a free mobile phone during your stay. The staff were very helpful and booked us a trip on short notice. The Thai restaurant at the hotel was poor quality tasteless food.
We only stayed for two nights.

Dear Clare,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your feedbacks.

On your next visit, we hope you may try our Suite Premier or Room Family Quad that measures up to 440 sq.ft for a more spacious and comfortable stay. Both room types include an en-suite bathroom with bathtub and walk-in shower.

Your comment on the restaurant will also be shared with the manager concern, for their reference and further improvement.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 March 2017

Picked this hotel after a lot of research and very happy with the end decision to stay here. It's close enough to the busier parts of Hong Kong but far enough away that you aren't overrun with tourists. Everything you could need is within walking distance including corner stores, a wide choice of places to eat, and public transportation. The free shuttle runs hourly and covers a large part of the day with convenient drop off/pick up spots. We had the executive room package and it was worth it, the complimentary wine and snacks as well as use of the massage chair was a welcome break between 3-5 pm. The breakfast in the hotel is excellent too. Olympic station is a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Note if you have an early flight outbound and use the Kowloon airport station check in counter be aware that it doesn't open until 5:30 am.

Room Tip: executive room with breakfast package worth it

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review.

It is our pleasure to have you staying with us and we are glad you enjoyed the overall services and the location of our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2017

We selected the Dorsett Mongkok based on its location and TA reviews. The Dorsett has an attractive lobby, very friendly staff and spotless rooms. The rooms are somewhat small but every inch of space is cleverly used, so it’s traveler friendly. the beds are very comfortable and the hotel provides a comp cell phone that allows you to call around the world. A very nice perk. The only downside is that the hotel is located in an area with few good restaurants or bars. We used the sky bar of the hotel next door for some drinks and light dining which worked. A nice hotel and I would stay there again.

Thank you for staying with us.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and would return to stay with us in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon at Dorsett Mongkok.

Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

Great experience here!
- Free shuttle bus from airport transfer stations in Kowloon MTR.
- Olympic and MongKok MTR stations at walkable distance (~10mins)
- They even provide free wifi via mobile device which we could bring around HongKong!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Darren,

Thank you for staying with us.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you at Dorsett Mongkok again very soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

We initially wanted to book an Airbnb for our family trip to Hong Kong but decided to go for Dorsette Mongkok after seeing great reviews and a minimal price difference. We stayed at the family quad room on the 26th floor. View was great!

The hotel had a great location and the concierge gave us a little booklet that had wonderful restaurant recommendations in the area. The same booklet had a map of the MTR system so we could plan our rides even before we got to the station.

I'll definitely stay at Dorsette Mongkok when I go back to HK. Cheers to the wonderful staff there!

Room Tip: book via the Dorsett website and request for a room with a view
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mixkaela V

Thank you for staying with us.

We are glad to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay and will continue to stay with us again.

Your compliments on our team are well appreciated. It has been our pleasure to serve you.

We look forward to welcoming your family back for another pleasant stay soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

The lounge is not good so avoid paying extra for executive level, it's not worth it.

Room was smaller than stated on the website.

Room was clean and staff very friendly. Was able to check in early. Very convinient when arriving early after a flight from europe.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter S

Dear Peter,

Thank you for staying with us.

We regret to know that the room appeared smaller than you’d expected, our apologise for any inconvenience caused but hope that the in-room amenities and service alike would have made up for that.

As for the Lounge, it features all-day light refreshment such as coffee, tea, snacks and fresh fruit for guests enjoyment. Other than that, we are serving Thai appetizers and wine at the lounge at certain hours of the day. Please rest assured that we will continue to review the features so as to enhance the in-lounge offerings.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.