“the place to stay if you're a Causeway Bay-er”
Review of Chung Kiu Inn

Chung Kiu Inn
Chung Kiu Inn
Ranked #510 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“the place to stay if you're a Causeway Bay-er”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

After searching high and low for a hostel in Causeway Bay, I finally settled on Chung Kiu Inn and I was on a work trip and wasn't looking for one of those youth hostels. I managed to secure a room despite confirming only in mid November (you know how crazy the hotel/hostel industry is in Hong Kong).

The place was relatively easy to find, just follow the directions given by the hostel, that is to exit from Exit E from Causeway Bay, walk straight and you will be walking along Yee Woo Street, walk about 200m and you will see a magazine makeshift stall at the entrance of the Hong Kong Mansion. Take the lift to the 15F and to your right, you will see some sort of Clinic signboard, but it's also the "reception" for the hostel. I was lucky to meet the owners of the hostel at the ground floor when I was reaching. They were very nice and friendly as they led me to the clinic while I waited to be checked in.

I paid for about 500HK per night (technically it's 250HK per person per night but I booked a room for two, so yeah). I paid a deposit for 2 nights to secure my room but that also meant that I had to pay extra 15HK due to the bank's commission.

I was brought to another unit on the same floor, which turned out to be the hostel. In the unit itself, there were about 6 rooms and 1 common toilet. So you would have two keys, one to the main unit and one to your room itself. You must put a deposit of 100HK in case you lose the keys. My room was 1502 and it is just right outside the fridge and the hot water dispenser.

Now the room - very basic but very good enough for me who just needed a place to sleep and shower. The beds were comfy enough for a hostel (I wasn't expecting hotel standard kind of mattress). The blankets were thick enough for the cold weather (first 3 nights actually), but the last 2 nights were a little too cold for someone like me who came from a tropical country. There was no heater provided, closing the windows didn't help warm the room, but I made do. The toilet was really small but that was expected too. But the flush was working well, the showerhead was working well, so no complains. They were considerate to provide hangers (I actually brought my own but it wasn't needed!). No hairdryer provided, but thankfully I brought my own. A traditional flask is provided in the room, which was really really helpful. Used it to store the hot water and it does keep the water hot for the whole night!! A small TV with 3 channels kept me company during the night and a small aircon unit which I am still wondering until today whether it works or not. They make your bed daily so you come 'home' to a neat bed every night. And for the record, the bath towels that they provide? It's way cleaner than the ones that was provided in a hotel in Malaysia. They also provide toothbrush/paste but I didn't need them as I brought my own.

I managed to peek into a single room as someone probably just checked out and the room was open. It doesn't have an attached bathroom but it was sooo small that I doubt I could put my luggage any where except on the bed. Thank gawd I didn't book the single room.

Couldn't sleep until about 2am on the first night due to the noise outside. It's Causeway Bay so this is expected.

What I love about this location is also because my flight was 7am in the morning, hence I had to take the night rider (save the money!) and the bus stop is just directly outside the mansion! N11 goes all the way to the airport and it costs about 30HK using the Octopus card.

So overall, I would love to stay in this hostel again but Causeway Bay is really not the kind of shopping area I'd frequent, so I might stay in TST or Mongkok area next time (sigh, gotta source for new hostels again!).

Room Tip: request for room 1502 is possible!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank voxypop

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 January 2010

For a Hong Kong hostel this place is ok, the rooms are pretty tidy, they give you a set of towels, toothbrushes, and something else
the phillipino girl that works there is very friendly and speaks ok english
the location is great, right in the middle of causeway bay!
although i had troubles with finding the entrance to the building.. so I had to walk all around it the first time
the floor itself looks a little bit creepy but the rooms are cozy and of course remember that this is a hostel and not a hotel

all in all a nice place, worth to stay in

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple