“Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Portland, Oregon
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

I love this hotel! It ranks as one of my top five for sure. Great location, free snacks and beer, the amazing bath tub and fantastic service. Do I wish it had a pool? Yes. But it's Hong Kong, they are tough to come by. Do I wish the gym was a little bigger? Yes, but it was totally fine for my needs. OH and the restaurant. So good. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you can upgrade one level, its worth it!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stay in Hong Kong 6-7 times year and this is by far the best hotel on the island. The service is great and the rooms fantastic. The only gripe? A spa would be fantastic

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Whistleforit
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I have stayed in many beautiful hotels in Hong Kong, but I wanted something different and exclusive.
My friend suggested the Upper House, and I tried. It is located next to Conrad and Marriott, but had a definitely different atmosphere and a bit like a hideaway. The hotel makes you feel like a special person, and they treat you that way with personal attention.
Upon arrival, I had reserved a standard room, but somehow they upgraded me to a huge suite.
The standard room is already large to begin with, but the suite was huge. I had 8 guests come over to spend in my living room, and we all sat on the sofa very comfortably. The bathroom was surrounded by windows and I enjoyed the panoramic views while bathing. I was told not to forget closing the automatic shades when bathing after dark...
The rooms are very simple designed, and thats what I like. But the amenities were very stylish and they even offered playing cards... The mini bar was all free, and they had candys and chocolates,
and toilettry kit for takeaway. I loved the bathrobe, so I decided to buy one.
There were few areas I found needs improvement. The carpet was stained, and some staffs seemed unexperienced. I had to wait more than 5 ringtones until the front desk answered my call.
But all these were covered by all the positive aspects. The real downside for me was that they had no swimming pool and a tiny fitness room, but I was so busy that I did not have time even if they had those features. So if you are bringing children who wants to play at the pool, this is not for you.
I was there for business, but I definitely would want to return next for holiday with my wife.
They have a nice restaurant called Cafe Gray Deluxe, but I thought it could be better.
The hotel is located by the cliffs, and my room had spectacular views of the bay, the city, and the mountains. It is near Admiralty on Hong Kong side, and just 5 minutes away by taxi from the convention center. If you want the hustle bustle excitement of Tsim sha tsui, then I don't think the location is very convenient, but if you want a quiet and peaceful atmosphere, I would recommend the Upper House. Its close to the financial district too, so good for executives on business.
The rates are quite expensive, and some writes that its not worth what you are paying for,
but even if I was not upgraded, I will still be satisfied with what I paid.
The Upper House will be my home in Hong Kong, where I can get away from the crowd and spend time in peace and comfort. It is a hotel that makes you feel very special!

Room Tip: Try staying during the off season when the rates are reasonable, for its not a cheap hotel. My frie...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hitoridemo3
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

what a great addition this has been to the HK hotel scene!

Love:
1. the size of the rooms - they are HUGE with the most amazing bathroom/change areas
2. great view from most rooms
3. free snacks and drinks in the room
4. Cafe Grey is excellent and the bar is lots of fun
5. refreshing room service menu - lots more healthy choices and not just usual mundane hotel fare
6. right above Pacific Place so very convenient for shopping :-)
7. competitve room rate when compared to hotels in the middle of Central

Downsides:
1. if you are there for business, it is not as convenient as being right in Central
2. the gym is tiny
3. the service tends to be more hip than polished so depends on what you like

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sonoma CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I have been to Hong Kong many times (actually going back to 1963 when it was a very different place) and usually stay at the Oriental or a hotel like that. But then we heard of this new hotel, the Upper House and decided to try it out. It has been done so well. The attention to detail is amazing. The quality of the rooms is of the highest level. The bathroom was wonderful. The location is perfect. The staff was very friendly and effective. We loved the restaurant and bar. My wife and I were only in Hong Kong for two nights and one day (stopover on our way back to LA from Bangkok) and almost extended our stay so we could spend more time at the Upper House. The only down side is that the gym is pretty limited and their is no spa although they can arrange for a massage in your room.
Finally, as a techie, I have to say the place is really tech-ed out. They check you in with an iPad. There is an iPod touch in the room that you can use to play music via the rooms sound system and do searches etc.

Room Tip: Get a harbor view. It is worth it.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Very modern hotel. Room is very nice, service is good (if a little too "cool"). Restaurant is mediocre but good for drinks. Nice view, good location next to Pacific Place (big upscale shopping mall) and close to PP3 where there are cute boutique and nice restaurants.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alondongirl
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

The quality of the design (excellent) is only surpassed by the service - friendly, obliging staff - they go the extra mile to be helpful. In such a frantic city, wonderful to come 'home' to.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family