“best boutquie hotel in Town”
Review of The Upper House

The Upper House
Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Beijing
“best boutquie hotel in Town”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

hotel was amazing. Rooms are modern with nice wood style. room was specious. speratre jaccuz and walk in closet. and separate bathroom. view was nice. and roomon 43 floor. GYM is nice but small. no swimming pool. that was disadvantage. Cafe grey is perfect dinner in HK. breakfast was nice but small portions,

Room Tip: try to get Sea View
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I work one week per month in Hong Kong and have stayed in this hotel seven times. The rooms are really comfortable, the staff are extremely helpful and the views are amazing.

And nothing beats a few beers in the bath after a long day in the office looking out over the harbour and watching the telly.

At HK$150 the cheese and ham toastie in the 48th floor bar (not on the menu but available) is ridiculously expensive but this is Hong Kong!

Room Tip: Pay for the harbour view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank alexs_73
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have been visiting Hong Kong for nearly 18 years (and lived there for some of that time). Over the years I have been a regular at The Mandarin Oriental and have also used The Landmark Oriental, The Island Shangri-La, The Conrad and The Grand Hyatt. What makes The Upper House special is the sheer size and luxury of the rooms and the outstanding staff. This was our second stay and we had booked a 70 square metre harbour view room. We were upgraded to an 80 square metre harbour view but asked to be downgraded again. The 80 sq. m. rooms are at the ends of the building and the one we were shown looked out on to other tall buildings - by contrast the 70 sq. m. rooms we have used were in the centre of the building with very good views of Victoria Harbour. The "maxi bar"is well stocked and the bathroom and dressing room are great for wallowing in. If you want large marbled reception areas and big pools and gyms, this hotel is not for you but if you want a centrally located luxury hotel and really don't need much more than the room this is worth considering. It is not cheap but prices are in line with the other centrally located hotels on Hong Kong Island and the rooms are much bigger.
The staff are young and enthusiastic. Somehow they seem to remember your name and nothing is too much trouble.
Breakfasts in Cafe Gray on the 49th floor are not cheap - around USD 68 for two - but are from an a la carte menu (no buffet) and cooked to order. If you want a cheaper option there is a coffee shop (Cova Coffee) on the 4th floor of Pacific Place mall on top of which the hotel stands. There is also a cafe that serves breakfast at geEAT (that's how it's spelt) which is attached to the food supermarket in the basement of the mall. The rooms have kettles, coffee maker, toaster, cutlery and crockery so you could always buy your breakfast from the supermarket (the shop opens at 10.00 a.m. but the cafe opens much earlier) and eat it sitting on the sofa of your room gazing out over the harbour.
We'll be back in March for our third visit. What more can I say.

Room Tip: Go for a Harbour View room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SCP888
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This hotel should be up to your standards, if you like spacious well designed rooms, huge bathrooms with panoramic views, if you would like to step into a Wallpaper-kinda world od architecture nd design, if you work in fashion or luxury, if you like michelin-star restaurants.

The location is great - just above the Pacific Place which is fun for shopping and dining.

The staff are all very frindly, well-mannered professionals with various international background. The attitued is very different from grand hotels. You really feel like you're surrounded by sencere attention and can rely on these people

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I love this hotel! It ranks as one of my top five for sure. Great location, free snacks and beer, the amazing bath tub and fantastic service. Do I wish it had a pool? Yes. But it's Hong Kong, they are tough to come by. Do I wish the gym was a little bigger? Yes, but it was totally fine for my needs. OH and the restaurant. So good. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you can upgrade one level, its worth it!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stay in Hong Kong 6-7 times year and this is by far the best hotel on the island. The service is great and the rooms fantastic. The only gripe? A spa would be fantastic

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Whistleforit
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I have stayed in many beautiful hotels in Hong Kong, but I wanted something different and exclusive.
My friend suggested the Upper House, and I tried. It is located next to Conrad and Marriott, but had a definitely different atmosphere and a bit like a hideaway. The hotel makes you feel like a special person, and they treat you that way with personal attention.
Upon arrival, I had reserved a standard room, but somehow they upgraded me to a huge suite.
The standard room is already large to begin with, but the suite was huge. I had 8 guests come over to spend in my living room, and we all sat on the sofa very comfortably. The bathroom was surrounded by windows and I enjoyed the panoramic views while bathing. I was told not to forget closing the automatic shades when bathing after dark...
The rooms are very simple designed, and thats what I like. But the amenities were very stylish and they even offered playing cards... The mini bar was all free, and they had candys and chocolates,
and toilettry kit for takeaway. I loved the bathrobe, so I decided to buy one.
There were few areas I found needs improvement. The carpet was stained, and some staffs seemed unexperienced. I had to wait more than 5 ringtones until the front desk answered my call.
But all these were covered by all the positive aspects. The real downside for me was that they had no swimming pool and a tiny fitness room, but I was so busy that I did not have time even if they had those features. So if you are bringing children who wants to play at the pool, this is not for you.
I was there for business, but I definitely would want to return next for holiday with my wife.
They have a nice restaurant called Cafe Gray Deluxe, but I thought it could be better.
The hotel is located by the cliffs, and my room had spectacular views of the bay, the city, and the mountains. It is near Admiralty on Hong Kong side, and just 5 minutes away by taxi from the convention center. If you want the hustle bustle excitement of Tsim sha tsui, then I don't think the location is very convenient, but if you want a quiet and peaceful atmosphere, I would recommend the Upper House. Its close to the financial district too, so good for executives on business.
The rates are quite expensive, and some writes that its not worth what you are paying for,
but even if I was not upgraded, I will still be satisfied with what I paid.
The Upper House will be my home in Hong Kong, where I can get away from the crowd and spend time in peace and comfort. It is a hotel that makes you feel very special!

Room Tip: Try staying during the off season when the rates are reasonable, for its not a cheap hotel. My frie...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business