“feel like home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Taipei
“feel like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed at the Upper House as a part of our family vacation to Hong Kong. The hotel staff do everything possible to welcome us. They upgraded us to a suite and prepared a birthday cake for my mother. They filled the pantry with all the favorites of my 3 years old son. The location is very convenient and right next to the Pacific Place. We will stay there again next time we go back to Hong Kong.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Thank you very much for your recent review. We are happy to know that you felt “like home” at The Upper House and that your entire family had a comfortable stay.
We are grateful to know also that our team members made you feel welcome.

Please do contact me personally if I may assist with any future reservation at The Upper House.

The Upper House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Beautiful - very big rooms, comfortable beds, everything is electronic, room service is ordered from an iPod, and mini bar items (excluding wine, champagne and spirits) are all included. Staff are very attentive - if you speak to someone even once, they will remember your name. Restaurant staff were a little overwhelmed when the breakfast rush was at its peak on a weekend however their attitude could not be faulted and the views from the 49th floor are worth waiting for. Hard to get a cab owing to the location being at the end of a loop with 3 other hotel/shopping center ranks before it, but the MTR is literally below the hotel. Expensive, but definitely worth it. Previously we stayed exclusively at the Four Seasons in Central but this has just blown that out of the water. You know you are staying somewhere special when Owen Wilson is sitting at the next table having breakfast wearing slippers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Billy,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate that you took time to do so.
We are delighted to hear that you had a comfortable stay. Guest recognition is very important, especially in smaller properties such as ours and I am glad to know that we exceeded your expectations. Lovely description of other guests you spotted at Café Gray Deluxe, it definitely makes your review an interesting read for other travelers.
Please do contact me personally if I may assist with any upcoming reservations at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I loved the Upper House and will definitely stay here again if we are ever in Hong Kong. All the pros:
-beautifully decorated, modern, spacious room with great amenities - REN bath products, shower with a rainshower spout, bathtub, TV in the bathroom, tons of closet space, comfortable beds
-location is Pacific Place, right next to the JW Marriott, Conrad, Shangri-La and the Pacific Place shopping. MTR subway is right there too. Super close to everything in Central HK
-Cafe Grey in this hotel has amazing views and great food, albeit pricey
-excellent service and staff - free yoga in the mornings, and coffee throughout the day, and they make up your room 2x a day

Only con is that the free wifi is slow at times but we loved it nonetheless.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Karen

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a tripadvisor review. We are delighted to know that your stay at The Upper House was a comfortable one. We are glad to know that you specifically liked the location, the décor, Café Gray Deluxe and the complimentary YOGA classes.
Please do return soon again and let me know if I may assist with any future reservation.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

It's located above the JW Marriott and is so special... any place where the mini bar is included (includng beers), that's comfortable and spacious has got to be special in Central. I prefer this place to the Four Seasons. I have stayed the most at the JW Marriott which isn't bad but just can't compare with the level of this hotel (despite being located directly below it). They check you in from your room which is a nice touch. I plan to mimic the bath and tub in my dream bathroom in my dreamhouse one day. I can't say enough nice things about this place. It's definitely worth the money.

Room Tip: all the rooms are excellent
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
We appreciate your review of The Upper House. Your description of your “dream house” sounds exciting and we are honored to know that it would take somehow the form of The Upper House.
We do hope you visit us soon again. Please do let me know if I may assist with your future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I have heard a lot of good things about this hotel, but thought it would be like W hotel (which I am not a big fan of). Stayed there recently for business trip, and found it amazing. Yes the deco is very modern, and they check you in with an ipad, and you've got to order your room service via i-touch, but everyone working at the hotel is so attentive, and it makes you feel at home. Loads of complimentary stuff at the mini bar, and the complimentary toiletry is REN. The view from the restaurant on the top floor is amazing. The location is great too, close to central, and next to the pacific place shopping mall. Will definitely stay there again when I go to HK next time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Thanks for having stayed at The Upper House! We are delighted to know what you have heard about us prior to your arrival exceeded your expectations.
Please do contact me personally if I may assist with anything for a future reservation at any of the Swire Hotels.

London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

You have to like this place. The hotel has been turned upside down - there is no conventional lobby on arrival and instead of the usual check in procedures one is taken to the room and checked in on an iPad. The guest services which one would normally find in a hotel lobby are on the top floor with amazing views of Hong Kong from 40 floors up. The excellent restaurant and bar is on the same floor. The rooms are all very large (70 sqm for even the smallest rooms) and the views consistently good. Even the bathrooms have floor to ceiling windows with great views (but take note of the sign which says that the windows are two way glass - the great views could go in both directions!).

It is not all perfect - room service breakfast was chaotic and at some times of the day there were lengthy waits for taxis as the hotel is in Pacific Place - but overall this is a great hotel and a fun place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
We appreciate your positive feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House.
Our aim is indeed to be different and always provide a casual yet refined, elegant service. The way you describe the “both way views” from our bathrooms is very well done and makes for a great reading. Hong Kong indeed is a busy city and like in other major world cities, the lack of cabs during certain rush hour may be challenging. We try to provide our Lexus house car whenever available for our guests to avoid any possible waits.
We are looking forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again. Thanks for writing this review and please do let me know if I may assist in the future.

Southeastern Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012 via mobile

Ok. Ok. I don't blame you if you read this and figure I work at the Upper House... or my brother-in-law Moe is the General Manager... or I have some vested interest in the property. Well, I don't, he isn't, I don't. Now I can riff. The Upper House is hands-down THE BEST boutique hotel I have ever experienced. In the opinion of this seasoned, world traveler, it is one of the BEST hotels, large or small, in the world.

Upon arrival my wife, son, daughter-in-law and I were warmly and sincerely greeted by staff... awaiting us at the Porte-cochère. Our first glimpse of the property was the warm and inviting entrance. Dancing modern flame posts-lights illuminated the stone sculptures and raked grey-sand Zen gardens. Our "dedicated" greeter seemed to know us. At the Reception Counter the General Manager happened to be there (where wasn't he we later realized... everywhere at the same time it seemed... the very best type of management at a property like this... I call it "management-by-walking-around."). He and our greeters had a momentary discussion, she then said, "You are a family. We don't want to put you in two separate rooms. We want you stay in our Penthouse at no additional charge." Really!?! Our rooms (2 of them) were Studio 70 rooms, looked beautiful but they were The Upper House lowest-cost room type at HK$4500 per night. These folks were upgrading us to a HK$30,000 per night Penthouse at the Studio 70 price so that my family could be together. We neither asked for nor expected anything. WOW.

We were escorted by Peggy (the Pleasant) up the long escalator to a secondary little lobby. Beautiful stone sculptures abound. More flaming post lighting. Past a Starbucks-like private cafe counter (for hotel guests). Even the elevators were beautifully appointed with soft lighting and artwork. We were shown to Room 4805. The hallways were softly and warmly lit. More sculptures... and into the Penthouse. Un. Be. Li. Va. Bull.

The Penthouse was magnificent! Warm, inviting, comfortable furnishings. Two beautiful bedrooms. Views of the harbor and the city and the peaks (almost 360 degrees). The bathrooms were large with room-sized showers, large soaking tub, great amenities. They brought us tea and pastries. The room had a well-stocked bar (all free except the wine), gourmet cartridge-type coffee machine, cannisters of candy bars and bags, Milano cookies, granola bars, and more. The sound system and much of the room functionality it controlled by an iPod Touch. Fantastic, comfortable, quiet, spotlessly-clean, well-appointed rooms.

The staff could not do enough for us throughout our stay. We asked where an ATM was... they walked us to it across the street. The GM stopped by at our breakfast table the first morning. We chatted for 20 minutes. He kept referencing things to do and see... then he just walked away and returned with a Luxe tour book box-set which he asked us to accept with his compliments (that's about a US$25 set).

On the last night of our stay (my son and his wife were staying two more days... and The Upper House insisted they stay on in the Penthouse) we found two fine-quality leather tote bags in the living room, each with a beautiful, boxed, scented candle gift wrapped inside the tote. And did I mention the warm milk and homemade cookies set out every night in our rooms?

I just can't say enough. I've stayed at three other fine hotels in Hong Kong in years past... all 5 star... all with impeccable reputations and truly great service/rooms. I will, going forward, ONLY stay at The Upper House... and it will be the boutique hotel that I measure all others throughout the world by.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank CryingMan
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Many thanks for this wonderfully detailed review. We are pleased to hear that your stay at The Upper House exceeded your expectations. It is also rewarding for our team members to be personally mentioned in your write up – rest assured we will share this glowing feedback with them. We try to welcome our guests in the most personalized manner and I am proud to hear that our team made a lasting impression.
We do hope you visit Hong Kong soon again. Please do let me know if I may assist with anything for your future visit to any Swire Hotels.

Sincerely