“Fantastic!”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Almost hate to share this hidden gem of a hotel. We've stayed at fine hotels around the world and The Upper House is at the top of our list. From its incredibly friendly and efficient staff to the huge rooms with amazing views to the "extras" like espresso machines in the room as well as a "maxibar" stocked with free soft drinks, water, juices, cookies, chocolate, nuts, etc, the Upper House Has taken luxury and comfort to the next level. Be sure to arrange a dinner at Cafe Gray Deluxe on the 49th floor for food so good it will make you forget to look across the Harbor at the light show of Kowloon.
This hotel has thought of everything to make your Hong Kong experience wonderful. They even provide guest Octopuss cards to save you time of standing in line at the ferries or tram. Thank you staff of Upper House ( especially Nicholas & Benny in Guest Experience and Karen at Cafe Gray) for an incredible stay - have you thought of adding branches in other cities? We'll be the first to reserve!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Vicki

We are pleased to know that The Upper House made it to the top your favorite hotels list. Many thanks for sharing your experience on tripadvisor, it is very much appreciated.
I have shared all your positive comments with my colleagues you personally named in your review. Swire Hotels might announce future projects and we certainly hope to share any news shortly with you.
Please do contact me personally if I may assist with any future bookings at The Upper House or other Swire Hotels.

The Upper House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 April 2012

“One of the best city hotels I’ve stayed, hands down, ever. Not easy to top some of Hong Kong’s classics – but it is at least on par with the very best. The management clearly gets it right – from the subdued service to the sparkling interiors to the excellent cuisine. I can’t wait to return and bring my wife who keeps hearing me go on about it!”

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Consigliera-S
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for having taken the time to write a review on tripavdisor. To be compared “to the best in Hong Kong” is an honor. We do try to provide a different hotel experience and we are happy to hear that you like what we do. I am looking forward to hopefully meet you personally during your next visit – next time hopefully with your wife.
Do contact me directly if I may assist you with any future reservations at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Taipei
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed at the Upper House as a part of our family vacation to Hong Kong. The hotel staff do everything possible to welcome us. They upgraded us to a suite and prepared a birthday cake for my mother. They filled the pantry with all the favorites of my 3 years old son. The location is very convenient and right next to the Pacific Place. We will stay there again next time we go back to Hong Kong.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Thank you very much for your recent review. We are happy to know that you felt “like home” at The Upper House and that your entire family had a comfortable stay.
We are grateful to know also that our team members made you feel welcome.

Please do contact me personally if I may assist with any future reservation at The Upper House.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Beautiful - very big rooms, comfortable beds, everything is electronic, room service is ordered from an iPod, and mini bar items (excluding wine, champagne and spirits) are all included. Staff are very attentive - if you speak to someone even once, they will remember your name. Restaurant staff were a little overwhelmed when the breakfast rush was at its peak on a weekend however their attitude could not be faulted and the views from the 49th floor are worth waiting for. Hard to get a cab owing to the location being at the end of a loop with 3 other hotel/shopping center ranks before it, but the MTR is literally below the hotel. Expensive, but definitely worth it. Previously we stayed exclusively at the Four Seasons in Central but this has just blown that out of the water. You know you are staying somewhere special when Owen Wilson is sitting at the next table having breakfast wearing slippers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Billy,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate that you took time to do so.
We are delighted to hear that you had a comfortable stay. Guest recognition is very important, especially in smaller properties such as ours and I am glad to know that we exceeded your expectations. Lovely description of other guests you spotted at Café Gray Deluxe, it definitely makes your review an interesting read for other travelers.
Please do contact me personally if I may assist with any upcoming reservations at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I loved the Upper House and will definitely stay here again if we are ever in Hong Kong. All the pros:
-beautifully decorated, modern, spacious room with great amenities - REN bath products, shower with a rainshower spout, bathtub, TV in the bathroom, tons of closet space, comfortable beds
-location is Pacific Place, right next to the JW Marriott, Conrad, Shangri-La and the Pacific Place shopping. MTR subway is right there too. Super close to everything in Central HK
-Cafe Grey in this hotel has amazing views and great food, albeit pricey
-excellent service and staff - free yoga in the mornings, and coffee throughout the day, and they make up your room 2x a day

Only con is that the free wifi is slow at times but we loved it nonetheless.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Karen

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a tripadvisor review. We are delighted to know that your stay at The Upper House was a comfortable one. We are glad to know that you specifically liked the location, the décor, Café Gray Deluxe and the complimentary YOGA classes.
Please do return soon again and let me know if I may assist with any future reservation.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 April 2012

It's located above the JW Marriott and is so special... any place where the mini bar is included (includng beers), that's comfortable and spacious has got to be special in Central. I prefer this place to the Four Seasons. I have stayed the most at the JW Marriott which isn't bad but just can't compare with the level of this hotel (despite being located directly below it). They check you in from your room which is a nice touch. I plan to mimic the bath and tub in my dream bathroom in my dreamhouse one day. I can't say enough nice things about this place. It's definitely worth the money.

Room Tip: all the rooms are excellent
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
We appreciate your review of The Upper House. Your description of your “dream house” sounds exciting and we are honored to know that it would take somehow the form of The Upper House.
We do hope you visit us soon again. Please do let me know if I may assist with your future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I have heard a lot of good things about this hotel, but thought it would be like W hotel (which I am not a big fan of). Stayed there recently for business trip, and found it amazing. Yes the deco is very modern, and they check you in with an ipad, and you've got to order your room service via i-touch, but everyone working at the hotel is so attentive, and it makes you feel at home. Loads of complimentary stuff at the mini bar, and the complimentary toiletry is REN. The view from the restaurant on the top floor is amazing. The location is great too, close to central, and next to the pacific place shopping mall. Will definitely stay there again when I go to HK next time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Thanks for having stayed at The Upper House! We are delighted to know what you have heard about us prior to your arrival exceeded your expectations.
Please do contact me personally if I may assist with anything for a future reservation at any of the Swire Hotels.