See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had a reservation for 6 nights 5 days on the second day of Lunar New Year.When we reached the Golden Palace Hotel , we showed the confirmed letter to the lady that we had booked two rooms but she said there was no such things and the way she talked was very rude.The day was getting dark and we could not find any rooms in nearby hotels.we walked for a long distance.Later we went in the police station to report the case.The policeman helped us to find rooms.Fnally he found two rooms in Lantau Island.When we reached there it was 12 midnight.
Finally I would like to say that don't ever go to Golden Palace Hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had a reservation for 4 nights. Got into HK very late and only by chance found the entrance (it was closed already). A girl staying in the hotel helped us find the reception and it was good she was there: the lady at the reception didn't speak any English!!! The girl translated and explained, that the hotel was fully booked and that we had to go to another hotel for the night. She would pick us up again the next day to show us our room for the rest of the stay.
Since we were tired, we didn't argue and went with the lady. The hotel room was very cheap and small. We slept ok and at 10am the lady from the Golden Palace came to pick us up to bring us to yet another hotel. No one spoke English and it was an even worse place. We talked to a long time resident there and found out that it was about the third of the price we paid at the Golden Palace Hotel.
Luckily a friend of mine in HK, who had a Chinese girlfriend could help us complain, otherwise there wouldn't have been a chance of letting the lady know that we weren't happy. All of a sudden, there was a room in the Golden Palace Hotel availabe - very interesting. But we didn't want it. We wanted the money back. With the help of our HK friends we got the money back and could stay at their tiny place, but we were very disappointed in the Golden Palace Hotel - what a rip off and to fool tourists like that knowing that they couldn't complain, not right at all!!!
Wouldn't recommend anybody to stay there!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathrin B
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My usual Hotel, The Caritas Bianchi, was full so I tried the Golden Palace Hotel after reading the reviews on Booking.com.

I was dropped off by Taxi outside the building. After locating the small entrance I took the elevator to what looked like an apartment building. The reception was all dark and seemed closed but eventually someone popped up to help. I should have known something was wrong when she wanted cash rather than allow me to use my credit card. However, I did pay after getting a receipt. Thats when the fun started.

Instead of taking me to a room in the building I was lead, with my bags, to another building 3 blocks away where on the third floor there was a flea bitten "Guest House". I refused to stay and after much haggling got my cash back. I went to the Caritas Bianchi, which had a room after all.

Booking.com were apologetic and did not charge anything for their services.

Avoid this establishment at all costs.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Alexmac24
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Don't be deceived by the pictures. You don't get what you see. A mandarin speaking woman led us to a building along 731 Nathan Road on the 16th floor and to a 6 ft x 6 ft room. In all there are at least more than 5 other small rooms. Dirty, spooky and smelly. We were given a filthy single bed even though we booked for 2 pax. The very old TV don't work. The sheets are old and smelly. It's the worst experience I have ever encountered. Remember, it is not a hotel, only a rented room.
Remember, don't be deceived by them.

Room Tip: Remember, it is not a hotel. Only a rented room in an old building.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

At first I was a little apprehensive about the small and outdated room. The toilet leaked and there werent any windows.

After staying for 5 nights I really appreciated the convenient location, the air conditioning, security, free wifi and best of all the service.

Although the lady running the place didn't speak much English, she was VERY helpful! She offered to take me to the post office and show me where the main attractions were. She even helped me hail a taxi.

If you can handle slightly outdated facilities and a lack of a window you will grow to love this quaint little guesthouse.

• Stayed: June 2012