“Expensive but delicious ”

Gold Medal Seafood Hotpot
Ranked #2,291 of 11,588 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Jordan / Yau Ma Tei
Neighbourhood: Jordan / Yau Ma Tei
Reviewed April 29, 2017 via mobile

Our local friends brought us here. Love the sliced beef and seafood. Tomato based broth was even more delicious after all the cooking.

1  Thank WillBJust

Reviewed December 11, 2016 via mobile

The restaurant was recommended by the hotel concierge and it turned into our worst dining experience in Asia. We were greeted by "Sam," our waiter who promised to take good care of us. Instead, we just got took. This was a "hot pot" restaurant where you order a set price for broth and choose meat and/or fish. The "local" beef turned out to be a plate of thinly sliced meat that together wouldn't have made a decent Philly cheesesteak but was supposed to feed three of us. The killer was the fish or, more accurately, a small half fish that cost $130!! that we had told Sam we didn't want and instead had opted for a less expensive choice. We were flabbergasted when the bill came to nearly $300!! - no cocktails or wine - just four beers.
We are experienced global travelers so we are a little embarrassed to be reporting we got hornswoggled but that's the case. Avoid this place.

Reviewed October 30, 2016

Maybe Hot Pot restaurants are better suited to groups, where I was travelling alone for business and decided to try this place.

After paying for the broth, two types of meat - I was expecting it to cost around $300 HKD after I added up what was on the menu.

The bill came in at $500 HKD, where I cannot work out if I was charged for the large beef portion (definitely ordered the small). The translation aspect made this hard to work out.

What did concern me though, was apropos of nothing they brought out a bowl of cashew nuts, and a big tray of sauces, spices, etc., which you were to flavour your meats with - having not asked for this, I assumed it was part of the package of purchasing the broth.

My first bill came in at just over $400 HKD, where after giving a credit card, it took about 5 minutes for the waiter to return, with the new bill of $500 HKD - with him stating that he had forgot to 'add the nuts, and the sauce, spice tray' to the original bill.

So, a meal (albeit a pretty delicious one) for one person ended up costing over $80 Australian Dollars, with no drink included - a meal which, in all honesty, was not substantial.

Again, maybe not the sort of dinner one should eat alone - could be better value in a group, however, I can't be sure I was not take advantage of here in being the naive tourist.

Could be my inexperience with the whole thing - all I know, as tasty as it was, this was not value for money.

Reviewed July 28, 2016

Came with a work party including local teams who showed me the right way to "hot pot"!. Was actually a really fun dining experience and something I'd never done before and encourage other travelers to try

Reviewed September 22, 2015 via mobile

a great place for hot pot with fresh food and good service, price is in the high side but it is worth it. highly suggest you to try this when you are in the area