Regal Hongkong Hotel
Hotel ICON(Hong Kong)
US$265
US$214
  • Pool
Cordis, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$207
US$189
  • Pool
Metropark Hotel Kowloon(Hong Kong)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$172
US$457
US$408
  • Pool
The Upper House(Hong Kong)
US$612
US$569
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
The Langham, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$281
US$233
1,432 results
All reviewscauseway baydin tai fungexecutive floorrooftop poolvictoria parkexecutive clubtimes squareshopping districtbit datedcoffee machinetram stopairport shuttlehotel lobbymtr stationfew minutes walklate checkfree shuttle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Regal Hong Kong Causeway Bay
The non-smoking room on the 16th floor that we had was very spacious; their version of a queen sized bed is substantially smaller than a North American queen sized bed. Some of the room features are a 40” flat paneled TV, in room safe, stocked mini bar at very high prices (10+ times the cost of the local 7-Eleven and Welcome Grocery stores that are within a 5 minute walk of the hotel). The bathroom comes with a decent sized tub and separate shower. Typical amenities: shampoo, bath gel, shower cap, tooth brush and paste, and bar of soap. In other words the room is quite acceptable and comfortable for two, with room to spare.
Ying, who was responsible for maintaining our room on the 16th floor, was outstanding, very efficient and thorough at her duties. Even though her English was negligible, her pleasant demeanor and attitude made it a pleasure to attempt to communicate with her.
We managed the opportunity to spend a number nights in one of their spacious and luxurious suites that are at least double the size of the previous room that we had, with flat panel TVs in both the bedroom and sitting area, king size bed, hi-tech coffee machine with cartridges. More comfortable slippers, yukata, and additional bathroom amenities such as a simple sewing kit, bath salt, comb, shaving kit, cotton swab kit, cotton balls, Jacuzzi tub for one, separate shower and internet. Unfortunately housekeeping responsible for this floor was not as attentive as we had experienced in our previous room on the 16th floor. With this upgrade we too had access to the 31st floor reception and Customer Relations reps. Our Guest Relations contact Tracy on the 31st floor was vigilante and hardworking, she went out of her way to make our stay and that of the other guests enjoyable, and freely provided us with numerous tips for activities and for getting around.
The internet at this hotel is available either via hardwired connection or Wi-Fi. As for speed more than adequate to browse the web and carryout business functions. If your plan does not include internet, you may wish to pass as the daily fee is quite high.
The only facility available during our stay was the well appointed gym with two showers, towels and the typical free weights, treadmill, bikes, a number of machines, etc. As for hotel gyms, it is quite adequate.
They do have a roof top swimming pool; unfortunately it was under routine annual maintenance during our stay.
If you are planning on using any electrical devices other than a shaver, bring you own type M adapter or buy one from one of the local vendors. (approx. $21HK or less). The hotel has them available at $98HK.
Regarding the attitude of the Front Desk staff and Front Desk Duty Manager, not friendly or courteous whatsoever when it comes to dealing with hotel guests. Compared to the hotel Front Desk staff, we found that the locals on the street were extremely helpful and far more pleasant to speak with, even those with limited or no English.
We did find that the housekeeping, restaurant, concierge and other staff of this hotel were the opposite when compared to the Front Desk and the Front Desk duty manager, even with limited or non-existent English their attitude and approach to guests was far more positive than that of the Front Desk at the main lobby.
The buffet breakfast, is large with a very good selection of items to choose from, it would be extremely difficult to sample every item that they have available. Unfortunately if your hotel plan does not include breakfast, be prepared to spend an additional $170HK +10% gratuities per person, a rather high amount for any breakfast. With their pricing it is worth considering one of the many restaurants in the area, well within a five minute walk from the hotel. As an example, a local restaurant’s breakfast can be had for as low as $19HK, and a more substantial breakfast for approx. $34HK.
Directions from Hong Kong Airport Arrivals Level to Regal Hong Kong Causeway Bay via public transit:
1. The Arrival Gate is at Level 5, to take public transit, go to Level 3, and look for the large S1 sign. The S1 bus (every 10 minutes) will take you to the MTR line (cost $3.50HK per person exact fare). From the MTR station take the train destined for the Hong Kong Station which is at the other end of the line (cost 21.50HK per person, obtain the ticket from the machine, some machines will provide change for up to $50HK, so read the screens and posted signs carefully). From the Hong Kong MTR Station, go up one level up and look for the Free Airport Express Hotel Shuttle, H2 for the Regal Hong Kong Hotel. This shuttle (every 20 minutes) will make at least six stops prior to arriving at the Hotel. Plan for a total trip time of approximately 2 hours including wait time for transfers.
2. The other option is to take the MTR to Hong Kong Station, then transfer to the line to Causeway Bay, then walk to the Hotel, no longer than a 10 minute walk if you don’t turn the wrong way, when leaving the station. Total MTR cost is $21.50HK per person. The return trip from the hotel to the airport should take no more than 2 hours from the time you leave the hotel’s front desk to when you pass through immigration at the airport. Provided that you leave the hotel around 06:00 a.m.
3. The hotel has an airport shuttle service available at $130HK per person, one way. From what I can gather expect an approximate drive time of 45+ minutes. Should make arrangements prior to arrival, if you require shuttle service from the Airport to the hotel.
A mini guide to some of the merchants and restaurants that are in close proximity to the hotel (the hotel itself occupies an entire block):
1. From the hotel’s main entrance walk over the bridge to the other side, as you depart the bridge, turn left, then right at the traffic light, on this street you will find McDonalds, Starbuck’s, 7-Eleven, Pizza Hut takeout/delivery, and a number of restaurants all within a five minute walk from the hotel.
2. From the hotel’s main entrance walk over the bridge to the other side, as you depart the bridge, turn right you will come across 7-Eleven and a group of restaurants providing a variety of fair.
Therefore if you don’t mind a little walking, you will come across numerous restaurants, shops, grocery stores, outdoor market, all within a ten minute walk from the hotel. If you follow the tram line and walk around the side streets you will be amazed at some of the treasures that you find.
The hotel is located very close to many restaurants, and shops. And if you need to exchange currency to Hong Kong dollars, across the street there is one outlet next to the Subway Restaurant that provides the best rate in the Causeway Bay area ($7.55HK to $1.00 Canadian). The currency exchange rate at the hotel is slightly better than the offered exchange rate at the airport ($7.2HK to $1.00 Canadian). The best rate that we came across in Hong Kong was in the Chungking Mansions ($7.75HK to $1.00 Canadian) on the 2nd floor in Kow Loon. Fyi, if you live in Toronto, the currency exchanges on Spadina Ave. offer extremely good rates ($7.7HK to $1.00 Canadian). The above rates are for comparison only and were valid for the dates of our travel, and do not reflect the rates currently in effect.
Strongly recommended that you get a map from the concierge prior to leaving the hotel, it will make life easier as the streets do not follow a grid pattern. The one major landmark to get around would be the tram line. Once on it, it is quite easy to make your way back to the hotel. The tram is a great way of getting around this part of town especially at $2.30HK (exact fare) per person per trip.
Would We Return: most definitely.
Would I Recommend this Hotel: yes, without hesitation. If it is in your budget choose the Executive Club rooms that gives you full access, to the 31st floor Customer Relations staff who have a better comprehension of English and a superior attitude, 31st floor check-in bypassing the 1st floor Front Desk, and access to the 31st Executive Club lounge with free cocktails daily from 17:00-20:00. It will be well worth the extra.
From our experience and observations you should see a better degree of service from the 31st floor staff who are very dedicated and hard working, in attempting to meet any guests’ expectations.
Cautionary Note: On arrival, the Front Desk staff at the main lobby offered us a Special Promotional upgrade to Executive Class including the free buffet breakfast, and free internet for the duration of the stay at a steep additional price per night. When we declined the Special Promotion we were told that they did not have a room available that we had originally requested as was written on the hotel’s confirmation. After approximately a 20 minute discussion and insisting that they call in the manager, the front desk staff finally gave us a room as indicated on the original reservation confirmation.
Prior to making our reservation, we contacted the hotel regarding airport/hotel shuttle service to which the reply was that they did offer free round trip shuttle bus service for a maximum 2 pax per room. Unfortunately that was not the case. When brought to the attention of the Front Desk with the reply email from the hotel, the Front Desk indicated that there was no free shuttle service under our plan. This issue then was brought to the attention of the Duty Manager of the front desk who too insisted that there is no free shuttle service, even though we did have a note from the hotel indicating otherwise. The next step to resolving this issue, was to write a note to upper management, detailing the above incidents. In our case a reply to our note came within 36 hours from being sent, and the Assistant Manager Elki was very patient, apologetic, and understanding regarding the situation. He offered us more than adequate amends for the behavior of the hotel’s Front Desk staff and the Duty Manager for the difficulties regarding our check-in and the shuttle service issues. In other words if you have a valid issue as to your arrangements or difficulties, bring it to the attention of the hotel management. If the lower ranks fail to address the issue(s) satisfactorily, then step it up a notch and escalate the issue higher. In our case what was starting to become a very negative situation and a disaster of a trip, was dramatically turned around by Elki, to the degree that we would seriously return again and again to the Regal Hong Kong. Don’t wait till you get home to get the issue(s) resolved. Had it not been for Elki’s swift manner in which he dealt with the difficulties and his continued follow-ups, our view of this establishment would be very much different.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Divevoyager
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Friendly staff. Rooms feel quite cramped. We got upgraded because of the prob mentioned in title. I was at a loose end and needed to use the Internet... Which costs 15 euros (170HKD) just to connect!! It's ok... But I wouldn't recommend it given the wide range of choice out there. It was ok value for money because we only paid about 75 euros a night - and for an upgraded room. Any more than that and I'd say "bad deal!!!"

• Stayed: March 2012
Isabella L, General Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for taking the trouble to write-up your comments after your recent visit to the Regal Hongkong Hotel. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and your feedback helps motivate us to continually work on improving our standards.

In particular we appreciate your comment about our friendly staff. And we wish to assure you that credit has been awarded to our team on their appraisal for her good and professional services.

On the other hand, we regret to learn that a cigarette butt was found in your room assigned. It should not happen in any cases. Follow up action had been taken by the team and the issue was brought up to our management’s attention. We shall ensure that nothing similar should happen again.

Please do have a look at our website for more details about Regal Hotels International, especially the great deals offered when booking through our website. The promotion that you enjoyed is still on which included complimentary internet in the room and free use of the shuttle bus to and from the airport.

Thank you for your support of the Regal Hongkong and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Glen Farmer
Regal Hongkong

Reviewed 3 March 2012

First, I am little bit disappointed, because of the chorus of praise for the staff members which you can read here. Most of them are really friendly and helpful, but what I find out today I never seen in a 5 star hotel before. While wanting to extend my hotel room for another 7 days in the executive lounge as a executive member, the lady on the front desk asked me for the room number and checked my status, seeing I was booking with an travel agency, she didn´t know exactly what to do, so she asked a lady sitting not at a front desk but two seats beside of me, I think she was one of experienced staff doing a break, this lady doesn´t even talked to me, instead of it saying something on Chinese to the front desk lady. So the front desk lady told me I would better book with the travel agency or on internet. I told her I prefer to extend the room here and not on internet because I want to pay in cash, meaning I don´t want my creditcard to be charged. Now the lady two seats beside of me starting to say something in Chinese again and laughing at me stating, how I can pay cash to the internet. So I need to explain here again, that I want to pay in the hotel and not with the credit card via internet, she just continue talking in Chinese with the other statt members. The other staff members tried to me friendly meanwhile. Anyway I don´t think thats how hotel visitor should be treated like.

Room Tip: Try to get a room above the 31 floor, I am not sure if they are reserved only for executive member.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Joeoej

Dear Sir

Thanks for bringing this experience at our hotel up and I am sorry to hear that we did not handle your request properly. This has been taken up with the people concerned to ensure these requests are handled correctly and politely. Our customers are very important to us and I am always disappointed when we let someone down like this. We should have taken down the booking straight away and settled the matter. This is our loss that we did not do this. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you were put to but do give us a chance to be of service next time you visit Hong Kong.

Yours sincerely

Glen Farmer
Regal Hongkong

Reviewed 1 March 2012

I am disabled and have found the staff of this hotel very, cheerful and helpful they are only too willing to be of assistance. I must say also my stay at the hotel was very pleasnat and would recommend it as a stop over for travel as I used it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Whats good? The staff were fabulous. I loved my glorious room (but not the location). I will be back and have learned which rooms not to stay in! (not right next to the lift)

Whats not so good? Long check in and out. The internet was pricy when I only used 3 hours of internet. I think they should have an hourly rate. My room was right by the lift and the local chinese speaking ladies were shouting in the corridors at 3am at the top of their voices without a care for other sleeping guests. (although I realise that the Hotel cannot be held responsible for the inconsideration of some people)

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the lifts which are in use ALL night and sound proofing of the lift noise not good.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business