“nice and pleasant stay :)”

Regal Riverside Hotel
Ranked #151 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 26 April 2012

even though we just stayed for about few hours in the hotel because our schedule during whole HK tour was hectic it was nice and cool. Thanks to trip advisor, they really helped us! Our stay was beyond our expectations. Friendly staff, although they cannot communicate well in English, but it was ok, sign language helps (i think it is universal now). It is a bit off the downtown HK, but then again it is still worth the pros than the cons. Early morning, the view from the river was refreshing. just a few jog from the hotel, away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The place has nearby 7-11 and food stalls. Definitely will come back, imagine that for just a 3 star hotel

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
RRH_10, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear Commentator: Thank you for your comments! TripAdvisor rates hotels in form of BULLETS and a matrix that classifies hotels by stars. That matrix classifies the hotel somewhere between three and four stars although the local classification rates it four stars based on its extensive facilities, amenities and services such as 10 restaurants and bars , 10 function rooms inclusive of two large ballrooms, 1,138 guestrooms and suites, a Thai spa, garage parking and more.
Yes, generally our team members are very friendly albeit that they do not all speak fluently English or Mandarin.
Yes, Shatin is a 1 million citizen suburb. It is located along the Shing Mun River, an inlet from the sea. It is surrounded by green hills; it is cooler and breezier than downtown.
You can jog and cycle on well-maintained tracks and shopping – it’s great at the close by mega malls!

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights. The bus stop is nearby. we took the bus for the city tour. 7-11 and various kinds of restaurants, Japanese, Italian, Viet, Cantonese, satisfied me. I can also enjoy the beautiful view of the canal. The bed is soft and big. The room is spacious and neat. There is a hair dryer , an adapter, two more pillows and quilts in the room. We feel comfortable in it. I like the hotel. I would like to go next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Commentator: Thank you for your comments!
Shing Mun River is an inlet from the South China Sea and it divides the million-city suburb of Shatin into its left bank and right bank. On the right side you will find Regal Riverside Hotel and numerous sightseeing spots, jogging and cycling tracks, an MTR station nearby and many public bus and mini bus stops, in front of the hotel or nearby. On the left bank, you find a cluster of mega malls with numerous brand boutiques with favorable pricings and an additional MTR station.
Yes, Regal Riverside hotel features ten (10) restaurants and bars for various budgets and palates.
We are delighted to note that you like our beds, spacious and neat rooms with all amenities you would expect from a 4-star hotel. You obviously reserved a room at our Regal iClub, a better hotel under the same roof.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We chose this hotel as little family accommodation was available when we travelled. Only stayed one night and were pretty disappointed. The room was ok in terms of size, 4 single beds as requested but all very hard. The main let down was the poor plumbing. the toilet flushing mechanism broke after only 1 use. On complaining someone was sent to fix it but no offer of a better room was made-this was 11.30 pm at night and we all desperately wanted some sleep. After a long repair job the mechanism broke again, we gave up and used the lobby facilities.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bonnie2603
RRH_10, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Dear Commentator: Thank you for your observations. We sincerely regret your plumbing experience. If similar cases happen, we usually offer an immediate room change. However, as the number of available Quad Rooms is very limited, and all other Quads were occupied, we simply were not in a position to do so.
We want to make good during your next visit and I invite you to send me a personal email for your next stay with us.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at the Regal Riverside Hotel in Shatin April 18-20, 2012. This was my first time at this hotel as other local hotels I generally choose were already booked due to a sourcing fair. My advice is to avoid this place if possible.

Check-in
I waited in line on the ground floor lobby for 10 minutes with only 1 person in front of me and 3 people behind the desk apparently too busy to help. When I did approach the desk, the gentleman looked up my name in the system, confirmed my reservation and length of stay, but then suddenly told me I had to go to the Regal Group check in on the 15th floor. When I requested that he just check me in on the first floor he insisted I must go to the 15th floor or they could not check me in. I am not part of any Regal CLub... so I didn't understand but just went to the 15th floor. This is marketed inside the hotel as some added value for customers who join their customer loyalty program. So, I went to the elevator lugging my bags along, waited for an elevator, went up to the 15th floor, stopping at each floor for other guests, and when I finally got the the 15th floor there were no signs indicating where to go for check in. Only a sign for a business center and for guest rooms. There were 2 Chinese gentleman guests who were trying to check in at the same time and they were also a bit lost. I decided to try the business center. When I walked in there was a young man in the hotel uniform behind a desk helping a lady and her child. There was no other staff present. I stood and waited for 15 minutes while the one hotel staff looked around his desk and talked on the phone in Cantonese. When he was finally done with her, I asked if I was even in the correct place. It seems I was though there was nothing to indicate that. By now there was a line of several people behind me. I asked the staff why I was forced to come here to the 15th floor to check in and he just said "Group Check in" and that was the extent of his ability to reply. Horrible service. No added value at all, in fact it is a punishment to guests as far as I could see.

Room Service
The first night I was in the hotel, I ordered room service immediately upon getting into my room as I hadn't eaten in 8 hours and was really hungry. I ordered a medium-well steak with fries and a sprite and requested extra ketchup. 30-40 minute slater when the food arrived, I noticed they only gave me a tiny bit of ketchup, so I sent the man down for more.
Then I cut into the steak and notice it was so rare that it was almost raw - barely cooked at all. I further noticed that they had not brought the Sprite or any kind of drink. I was surprised they had managed to forget all 3 things I asked for. So I called them to come take it back and fix the order... I waited 15 minutes for them to pick up the food, and another 20-25 minutes for it to be prepared again... Now I could finally eat! But of course just as I starting to eat, there is a knock at my door interrupting my meal. It is the manager coming to apologize. Buddy - you have no idea about customer service - let me eat first! Don't further bother the client!

The Room & Hotel Decor
In a word... "tacky". It looks very much in bad taste. Everything is old and in a style that may have been popular 40 years ago... It definitely needs a make-over. But this could be excused if the service wasn't so poor. The bad part is the musty smell in the room each time you come in. After 20-30 minutes you will be de-sensitized to it, but each time you enter your room you are again bombarded with the same malodorous air.

The Breakfast Buffet
Average. Nothing exciting, but not bad.

Over-Capacity Issues
The 2nd day in the hotel was completely different... it seems the first day had a normal amount of people in the hotel, but for whatever reason the second day was so full that the hotel really couldn't handle it. At the breakfast buffet there were no tables available, no service, hardly any food, no plates... it was insane. And check-out had a huge line, and the taxi line was also about 40 people long. After 10 minutes of waiting and not a single taxi came, I just decided to walk.. which took about 30 minutes with my luggage to my office. Luckily my office was close enough to even consider walking. The point is, if this hotel is full, the service will go down hill fast. Even lower than it is normally, which is not impressive.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Commentator: We are acutely aware of your observations. During heavy arrivals, we strive to distribute our guests based on Regal Reward members, iClub reservations, Group reservations and regular reservations. You had a reservation for Regal iClub and you waited in line at the hotel’s main reception. Our receptionist should have taken care of you instantly instead of sending you to the 15th floor iClub reception and our iClub Receptionists there should have looked after you upon your arrival. We reminded all concerned.
We understand and apologize for your Room Service experience and trust that we can remedy the language obstacle that presumably caused the incident.
As to the hotel décor, our hotel owners are aware that more updating is required and they are working on renovation designs.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed here for 1 night as Royal Park was fully booked,

Regal Hotel is really old, reception/lobby area is very busy, complicated & wifi is not readily available, a password is required from the concierge, but concierge always seems busy.

The room & bathroom is really big but it's so dated & old, however it is clean & comfortable.
Most amenities are provided incl slippers, but there are no dressing gowns etc.

Hotel is in a pretty bad location so hotel provides a free shuttle bus to the shopping mall/bus/mtr station which is handy but I didn't use.

All in all, hotel is very good value for money, however if you want to stay in this area I suggest Royal Park hotel, this hotel is good for 1 night only

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Commentator: You decided to try Regal Riverside Hotel as your regular hotel was fully booked and we appreciate your comments.
Our hotel owners renovated an additional guestroom floor earlier this year as well as some areas of function room related spaces. They are aware that more needs to be accomplished and are working currently on lobby renovation designs.
Free WIFI depends on the type of reservation you made. iClub reservations and Regal online reservations benefit from complimentary WIFI at all times. Other reservations do require a password from the Concierge. We trust that our company will change this requirement next year when service provider agreements will be revised.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed there 3 nights. The room was large and clean. We also requested and received a room facing the canal. From our window, we admired the huge sport complex across the canal with 6 outdoor swimming pools of different sizes and tennis courts. We also enjoyed seeing the colorful lights of the billboards at night as well as the view of the hill.

Not very expensive comparing to the hotels in the city of Kowloon which we did not care to stay because it is just too crowded with wall to wall of people. We enjoyed the walk along the canal under the trees across the street from the hotel and the local parks where there are groups of retirees doing their Tai Chi exercise and dancing. There was also an occasional biker on the bike lane along the canal walk. The hotel is located in a quiet residential area. There are shops and restaurants a block behind the hotel where local eat and shop.

The hotel provides free shuttle bus to/from the train station/mall across the canal. Or one can take a pleasant 20 minutes walk there by crossing a bridge left of the hotel. There are many restaurants in the mall and the connected buildings.

The A41 airport bus from the Hong Kong International airport deposited us right across the street of hotel. We were at one of entrances of the hotel after we walked under the tunnel (instead of crossing the street). $23 HKD was deduced from our octopus card for the hr long bus ride. Octopus card is a prepaid card which can be used for bus, train, trolley, metro rides and food as well. You can buy it at the HK airport or any 7-11 store.

We would not mind to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for possible free up-grade. Or room facing the canal.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank foggycity

Dear Commentator: Thank you for your favorable comments!
Yes, Shatin borders an inlet of the South China Sea; locally, the inlet is referred to as the Shing Mun River. You can compare it with the Singapore River in Singapore.
Anybody who does not need to stay in the city center of Hong Kong finds the Shatin suburb location very pleasant and we are delighted that you liked our location between the river and the green hills, near Shatin’s mega malls and MTR station.
Those who like to take public busses will find a large number of convenient transportation options right at the hotel’s corner along the highway to downtown and to the airport.
The Octopus card, as insider tip, is a very valid recommendation for a pre-loaded debit card and with the credit balance you can debit a multitude of small-cash payments throughout the city, inclusive of public transportation.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Room was clean and adequate but a bit shabby. Curtains falling off the rails. WiFi in rooms but too expensive. I'd expect it to be free in a 4 star hotel. Only place to plug the kettle in was on the floor. Shuttle bus to centre was good and main bus route runs from right outside so very accessible. Needs refurbishment but would stay there again if I could have free WiFi.

Stayed: October 2011
RRH_10, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear Jackie: Thank you for comments. You stayed with us last year in October; meanwhile we renovated an additional floor.
To get free WIFI, as you may notice, is not yet customary in Hong Kong.
You selected one of the lowest priced rooms, and those are really for guests who are extremely budget-minded.
To get free WIFI, you have four (4) options with us: You best reserve a room at Regal iClub as of the 10th floor. Alternatively you book online on our Regal website and we offer you free airport transfers and the use of WIFI as our way to say “thank you”! If you wish, you can use your laptop anywhere in the hotel lobby with password and PIN, and last, you can use one of the two PCs located at the Regal Patisserie on the ground floor.

Is that a deal?