New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Kings De Nathan Hotel

Kings De Nathan Hotel
Ranked #299 of 703 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“I wont come back for sure.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

Neither would i recommend to any friends. Their service turns me off even though I have yet to check-in. Not looking forward to my hotel stay anymore.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank VKOH0809

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Malacca Town, Melaka, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Stayed 4 nights in this hotel (27 Nov to 01 Dec)... family of 4 (2 adults, one 10 and one 4) in the family room with one single bed and one queen size bed. Room was small but I did not expect a big room anyway and it's pretty dusty but I can live with that. Location is great... just like what most of the others reviewed and to add on, the taxi stop is just in front of the hotel.
My guess is the chances with rude staff is purely luck... as I have had some pretty good service from them. While they did not serve with a smile, they were not rude at all. Services were pretty effective... and the staff that dealt with me were Wong, Steven and if I am not mistaken, one of the cleaners name is Yoyo.
HKD500 for deposit... well, I just thought of it as a "temporary safe" and I was glad to have the "extra" HKD500 back to more souvenir and duty free shopping at the airport.
Also, if you do not want your room to be disturbed when you are not around, remember to get the "Do Not Disturb" card from the staff. The cleaners won't look at the "Do Not Disturb" light equipped that the room.
I have had some problems with the WiFi on my first night... but then my wife discovered that it all depends on my laptop location in the room. Try shifting your laptop nearer to the door instead of further away... and for me, I got some unbelievable downloading speed just by doing that.
TV programs/channels were pretty limited. Just a few channels, and if I am not mistaken, there is only 2 or 3 English channels. Anyways, I was in Hong Kong for the theme parks... not for their TV programs.
Soundproofing is not too good though... especially when you have some really noisy neighbors. However, the beds were comfy enough... and with our hectic theme parks schedule, the comfort of the bed did not really matter at all as we practically were "dropping dead" on the beds.
Loads of night market shopping and eating can be done just a few steps away from the hotel.
I would say the value of the hotel is OK... and btw, I got a pretty good offer from the hotel's own website (and not from the hotel booking sites).
For a small room, do not expect the kids to run around... and by the way, I "split" the single bed to become two beds... and they still fit in. Just that the room for walking was very small by then.
I have loads of other things to share... but I think I have written long enough. Just a few more tips:
1. For a group of three or less travelers, it is advisable to get the MTR Airport express card. Otherwise, the taxis will do.
2. There are a few stalls/shops nearby the hotel that the food you should try. Just looked around, there is one stall where there is always a long queue from 7pm to 8.30pm.
3. At the night market near the hotel, taste of the restaurant's food goes proportionate with the tables set up and seated. The more tables set up and seated, the better the food taste.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Axl T
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

We booked this hotel because it has 3 beds in a room that can sleep 4 persons. If you can afford to have extra room, i advise you to look for another hotel that has the same great location and free airport express transfer to MTR.
The hotel room is small but it is comfy for you to sleep. it has a flat screen TV, safe box and fridge.i think the hotel just renovated not long hence you can find the room and bath room look new and nice. the hotel only has 1 lift and takes a while as everybody is using it.

It is only 5 mins walk to Yu Ma Di MTR, no need to cross any road, just use Exit C. There are a lot of eatery around it. i recommend 1 shop selling Beef noodles that is behind the hotel. we went 3 times and you can see a lot of famous artist photo pasted on the shop doors. You can try dessert next to the shop, good taste also. Not forgetting the dim sum shop next to the beef shop, also good and cheap.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tyk2828
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

$500 deposit requested on arrival the only thing to brake in the room was the TV and that did not work, was not fixed even though we asked them to do so. The lift is too small and long delays for it often occur especially in the morning when people are trying to leave with large suitcases. We all live in China ans as such are used to hard beds but these were ridiculously hard.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank alexballantine

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed in Kings for 5 days in Sep 2011, went to HK for a holiday. The hotel has good location as it's along the famous Nathan Road and just 2 mins walk from Yau Ma Tei MTR station. Jade market's practically behind the hotel, the rest are within walking distance. I took the family deluxe room (3 pax) and the room, bathroom was clean, though quite small. The hotel's newly refurbished i think. However, the staff is in serious need of some customer service training. Never smiles or greet you. The supervisor (a lady) was rather rude, shouting over the phone whilst in front of some guests. During checkout, had to wait rather long whilst they sort out/try to find my deposit money. Worried that i might miss my flight, i asked them to hurry, and the supervisor curtly handed me my deposit money, saying 'okay!' and to my amazement, gave me an icy stare. Asking 'if that's all', i was replied with a short, curt 'no'. Seriously, stay there for the room and location, but carry your bags elsewhere if you expect warmth, courteous service.

Room Tip: Pick high floor to avoid noise from the road, but there's only 1 lift by the way.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank shela_shah
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

we stayed at kings de nathan for 2 nights in a family room.the room is quite small but you can move around and the bed is big enough for 2(the sngle bed) and for 3(the double bed).the room is clean;its the first time that i actually used the towels provided in a hotel because i always end up scratching like crazy after using them!the bed is comfty;not too soft not too hard.the location is superb;only a few minutes walk from the yau ma tei mtr.and if you really enjoyed walking like me,you can actually walk to jordan and mongkok from the hotel(its quite far though)theres a supermarket across the street(blt or btl)where goods are much cheaper than 7'11.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank backpacktravellerDora
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

HK hotels are expensive like in singapore. I had to pay around 140usd/nite for a small room. In my country,paying the same amount,you'll get a decent nice room twice the size of nathan's. First nite there,we were given a very tiny room that looked like a prison. I told the bellboy that it's not the room that i saw at their web. Since the hotel wAs fully booked,they upgraded me to a suite for one night. The next day we moved back into the superior room with much bigger size thanthe first one,but still it was small for me. The room was old and so was the bathroom.The location is to die for, close to the metro,dining and shopping centre.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends