“Good location, yet poor service staff and unpleasant experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kings De Nathan Hotel

Kings De Nathan Hotel
Ranked #352 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore
“Good location, yet poor service staff and unpleasant experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Check-in to Kings De Nathan hotel on 4th March 2012 with my girlfriend and the first impression was actually quite good. Normal speed for the check-in, but no luggage assistance to the room. We were assigned to a room at level 6. The room was pretty cosy, nothing much to complain. But on the hotel's website, they did mentioned that there's a bathtub in the room. But we do not have 1 in our room. The worse thing that happened on our first morning, was that the fire alarm in our room rang loudly at around 8:30am. Though the alarm didn't last forever, it was definitely long enough to wake me up. Followed by 4 fire engines dispatched to the hotel. We were worried if the hotel was really on fire, so we called the reception. The staff was very rude and replied "nothing happenned!" and hung up. The next day we found out that the other room on the same level has a bathtub, so we requested for a change of room. The staff reluctantly told us to bring our luggages down to the reception first. Then they will help us to bring it up when the room is ready. Instead, we moved our luggage into the new room and just collected our roomkey at the reception. We came to realize that the bathtub do not have a stopper to keep the water in the bathtub. We ended up making do with it. The next few days, the fire alarm rang once every other 2 days. The last morning, I woke up with a crazy man knocking and pressing the doorbell on the wrong door. All these totally jeopardize the whole experience. If I would ever go back and stay at this hotel, it'll only be because of the strategic location.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank randomvisitor23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

As this is a short stay in HK with the aim just to shop, this hotel is the cheapest for among the clean and decent hotels in town.

Didn't have a very pleasant start at the hotel as they gave me rooms on Level 1 without telling me that rooms on level 1 (one level above the lobby) requires me to enter from a 'door' next to the hotel's entrance and I had to climb 3 flights of stairs. I won't have a problem with it if not for my heavy luggages and a limping friend who injured her leg during our Shenzhen trip the day before. Anyway, to save the trouble.. we struggled up to our room. But, that's not the end, 30mins later, the recep came knocking on our door and said that there will be some maintainance work going on for that room and require us to change to a room on level 5.

So, once again my friend struggled back down and we moved to the room on level 5. Just wondering, they didn't know about the maintainance work 30mins before? Maybe this issue just applies to us.

Room wise: clean hotel.. nth to complain about. worth the amount we paid with MTR nearby(within 5mins walk) and temple street right behind. Nice claypot rice around too.

On our 2nd night there, the fire alarm sounded after 12.30am and with one fire alarm in each and every small room, we were startled. It went off quite fast so we thought it was a false alarm and ignored it. then we heard fire engines... thus we took some important docs and went down to check with the recep. I was thinking of asking the recep if everything's alright but the lift door opened with at least 10 firemen standing at the small lobby. the firemen then went up to 13th floor to do some checking while we were stranded outside the hotel for around 30mins in cold. didn't grab a jacket with me and i was in sleeveless in 16 degrees weather.

no upodates from the hotel staff about what exactly happened.. 30mins later we were told that it's safe for us to return.

clean and decent hotel but there's lot of improvement on customer service

Room Tip: avoid rooms on level 1 if u do not wish to carry your heavy luggages up 3 flight of stairs
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Kuching
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

i was thr during last year Nov with Family.
We booked thru booking.com for 5 nights, check in on 30 & check on 4.. the things is we didn't stay on 30 bcos our original flight shd b arriving at 10.30pm, but the flight delayed, we stay at airport a few hours, then check in on 31 morning.

The staff is really unfriendly & question us y didn't check in on 31. we told them our reason, but they ignored.. we asked them to waive the room rental on 30 but the supervisor said impossible unless our country have a big disaster like thailand only they will consider to waive!! We were really amazed by his explanation!!

We were totally upset with their service when we decided to check in, they gave us twin room when we requested king size bed... they said we didn't request on booking.com.. and said they only have twin bed at the moment, take it or leave it! what a "Good" service they hav!

i will never step in this hotel ever ever again!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

The hotel is conveniently located at YauMaTei MTR station and near the Temple Street night market. Indeed, the service wasn't fantastic and the room isn't considered big, but it was clean and comfortable. We even squeezed four people in there with two beds and a makeshift bed. There's also many shops nearby (such as Sasa, mannings and 7-11) which makes it convenient as well. Another plus point is that its a 15 minute walk away from the one Michelin star dimsum restaurant which requires one to wake up early to queue for (but definitely worth the wait :))

All in all, a pretty good hotel if you aren't too fussy about size of the room and the staff's service standards.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank neelie-scribbles
jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

My family and I stayed in kings de nathan on December 2011, for 3 nights. I've read lots of reviews about the people being unnice and not smiling, but our receptionist was nice and very helpful. There's only one elevator (a very, slow, elevator) but it didn't cause much problem. The room is amazingly small, although very clean. You can hear the traffic all night long, but it wasn't a big problem for us since we were very tired after a looong day in hong kong. all was well.

until our last night.

it seems that they were changing the water system (i think?). The first thing we notice was there's no hot water. They say it would last only until 6 pm, but at 12 am the same night there's still no hot water.

The day after, there seems to be hot water (both my parents showered happily) but then it stopped again. It seems now it lacked hot water.

But that was our only problem, the room was nice and clean and the staff was helpful. The location is good, next to mtr station (PS there's no elevator or escelator in the exit).

We hope the problem is solved by now.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

Neither would i recommend to any friends. Their service turns me off even though I have yet to check-in. Not looking forward to my hotel stay anymore.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank VKOH0809
Malacca Town, Melaka, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Stayed 4 nights in this hotel (27 Nov to 01 Dec)... family of 4 (2 adults, one 10 and one 4) in the family room with one single bed and one queen size bed. Room was small but I did not expect a big room anyway and it's pretty dusty but I can live with that. Location is great... just like what most of the others reviewed and to add on, the taxi stop is just in front of the hotel.
My guess is the chances with rude staff is purely luck... as I have had some pretty good service from them. While they did not serve with a smile, they were not rude at all. Services were pretty effective... and the staff that dealt with me were Wong, Steven and if I am not mistaken, one of the cleaners name is Yoyo.
HKD500 for deposit... well, I just thought of it as a "temporary safe" and I was glad to have the "extra" HKD500 back to more souvenir and duty free shopping at the airport.
Also, if you do not want your room to be disturbed when you are not around, remember to get the "Do Not Disturb" card from the staff. The cleaners won't look at the "Do Not Disturb" light equipped that the room.
I have had some problems with the WiFi on my first night... but then my wife discovered that it all depends on my laptop location in the room. Try shifting your laptop nearer to the door instead of further away... and for me, I got some unbelievable downloading speed just by doing that.
TV programs/channels were pretty limited. Just a few channels, and if I am not mistaken, there is only 2 or 3 English channels. Anyways, I was in Hong Kong for the theme parks... not for their TV programs.
Soundproofing is not too good though... especially when you have some really noisy neighbors. However, the beds were comfy enough... and with our hectic theme parks schedule, the comfort of the bed did not really matter at all as we practically were "dropping dead" on the beds.
Loads of night market shopping and eating can be done just a few steps away from the hotel.
I would say the value of the hotel is OK... and btw, I got a pretty good offer from the hotel's own website (and not from the hotel booking sites).
For a small room, do not expect the kids to run around... and by the way, I "split" the single bed to become two beds... and they still fit in. Just that the room for walking was very small by then.
I have loads of other things to share... but I think I have written long enough. Just a few more tips:
1. For a group of three or less travelers, it is advisable to get the MTR Airport express card. Otherwise, the taxis will do.
2. There are a few stalls/shops nearby the hotel that the food you should try. Just looked around, there is one stall where there is always a long queue from 7pm to 8.30pm.
3. At the night market near the hotel, taste of the restaurant's food goes proportionate with the tables set up and seated. The more tables set up and seated, the better the food taste.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family