“Bit out of town but worth the visit”

Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery (Man Fat Sze)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$98.36*
and up
Small-Group Walking Tour of Hong Kong 10,000...
Ranked #25 of 846 things to do in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A steep climb to reach, but efforts are rewarded with over 12,000 Buddhas both outside and inside the temple. There is no admission fee. A small restaurant at the top offers refreshments, but bring your own water for the trail.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We decided rather last minute to go to the Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery after reading about it online. It took us approximately 25 minutes from Causeway Bay on the MTR. It looks like they are investing some money in tidying this place up as works are happening. I still think it is worth the trip. Please note there are a lot of steps to the top so it's important that you are able to do 20 minutes worth of step climbing to get the to Monastery.

2  Thank AmesB1993
Write a ReviewReviews (2,167)
All reviews
in 44 reviews
"worth the effort"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Hidden away up a big hill and a short distance from the train station. A lot of steps. Very impressive with many statues and great photo opportunities. I’ve visited twice and the second visit was just as great. My teenagers loved it. Good city views from the top. A lot to look at! Snacks and drinks available too.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank seanb936
Reviewed April 3, 2018

My visit to the Ten Thousand Buddhas monastery turned out to be a huge waste of time. Not only is it far from the central areas of Hong Kong, but getting there is really difficult. The monastery was very hard to find and I actually ended up in another monastery/temple on the same hill, climbed an endless flight of stairs for over an hour, only to realize I was in the wrong place. I was not the only one who was confused, a few other tourists I met on the way had the same problem.

The sign showing the way to the monastery was actually impossible to see from the street. When I eventually found it, I had to climb a ton of stairs again, only to be bitterly disappointed by the tasteless display of kitsch I met along the way and on top. This was the least interesting temple I've seen in Asia.

I definitely do not recommend this place, especially if you only have a couple of days to spend in the city. There are some much better places to see in half a day!

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank HelCris
Reviewed March 31, 2018

You might love this quirky temple especially if you haven't been to many Buddhist or Taoist temples before. I found it a little trashy and out of the way. On the plus we didn't see any monkey (mean or cute) or begging fake monks. The Buddhas are interesting but get a little repetitive and the place is not as well maintained as the other major temples. Given that it is a bit out of the way and a moderate climb to get to I'd pass on it.

1  Thank JKPImageFusion