“They Give Your Room Away” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lan Kwai Fong Hotel

Lan Kwai Fong Hotel
Ranked #102 of 703 Hotels in Hong Kong
Nottingham
“They Give Your Room Away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

In March 2012 I booked and paid in full to stay at the Lan Kwai Fong Hotel in Hong Kong in a room with a harbour view for 29th April, 30th April and 1st May 2012 . After a holiday in Vietnam, on 29th April 2012 I flew from Hanoi to Hong Kong but my plane was delayed because of storms in Hong Kong. At 6pm I telephoned the Lan Kwai Fong Hotel from Hanoi Airport to tell them that I would be late. Eventually I left Hanoi and arrived in Hong Kong at about 1.45am but after completing immigration, customs, baggage reclaim and a long taxi ride it was after 3am when I arrived at the hotel. Immediately on arrival a hotel employee tried to send me away in the taxis I arrived in saying I must stay in the sister hotel because the Lan Kwai Fong was fully book and all the rooms were taken. I did find this a little scary in the middle of the night in a strange city but however I did get out of the taxis and entered the Lan Kwai Fong Hotel determined to get an explanation at the very least. I wanted to know why my room was given away though I booked it and paid for it in March and telephoned the hotel as soon as I knew that my plane was delayed. There was no explanation forthcoming and I received no explanation at any time whilst in Hong Kong though I asked persistently. Because there was absolutely no choice I had to go the sister hotel, the Mercer, there was nothing wrong with the room except the view was of roof tops with washing out completely different to the view that I had paid for. I was told that the room in the Mercer Hotel was superior to the one I booked, I really don't know whether or not it was, but it was not the view I booked. I was offered free WIFI but it was free anyway, I was offered a free minibar but again it was free anyway the only recompense was a limousine to the airport. I was clearly told that there would be no partial refund for all the inconvenience caused by them. I feel that my short stay in Hong Kong was tainted and that it is quite wrong to give away a booked and paid for room also, pretty shady business practises when offering free items that are already free. I cannot recommend this hotel. I have added photos of the view I had instead of the harbour.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank K3BGT
LanKwaiFongHotel, General Manager at Lan Kwai Fong Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apology about the inconvenience caused during your stay. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the hotel was overbooked on that night. A couple of carefully selected potential guests were invited to try our sister property, The Mercer which is only a minute walking distance away from Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong and conveniently located within 1 minute walking to MTR station. However, all the rooms are with city view only.
Their stay was being upgraded to One Bedroom Suite. Apart from double the room size, The Mercer also provided guests with in room coffee machine, DVD player, microwave, free wifi, buffet breakfast, minibar and local call service which were at additional charges if stayed in Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong. We understand that there maybe some mis-communications and our staff didn’t explain it clearly or handle the situation well. Please accept our sincere apology for that. Hope we can have you with us again in the future to experience Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Due to an upcoming statutory holiday in HK, we had a hard time finding a hotel in a central area for 1 night, without breaking the bank. After a long search online, we finally were able to book the LKF hotel @ Kau U Fong for over $220 USD (their normal rate is much lower, but as mentioned many hotels were booked out for our dates).
The first impression was that the lobby was very small and all employees at the front desk were male. The hotel looked clean though, so we had no concerns when checking in. The room we got was a double, which was small but nice. The room and bathroom looked clean too.
The location of the hotel was good too. 5-10 mins walking to Central and the IFC mall with many food and shopping options.
We only stayed one night here and checked out the next morning. Everything seemed fine, until the day after when my husband and I noticed that we had itchy spots on both of our arms. First we thought that we were bitten by mosquitoes, but then the spots became more and more red and round. Mosquito bites are not as red so we googled photos of bed bugs and our fear had been confirmed: we had bed bugs in the hotel room!!!! I will post photos of my bites on TA as soon as I can to prove that I was bitten by bed bugs.
Then I googled for bedbugs at the LKF hotel @ Kau U Fong and found another review of a traveller here on TA who also got bitten by bed bugs! So disgusting. We immediately had to dry-clean all of clothes once I got home and we're now crossing fingers that we did not bring any of these bugs home...
Do not stay at this hotel. For that money, you can get a nicer place which is more likely bed bug free.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank travelbee_888
LanKwaiFongHotel, General Manager at Lan Kwai Fong Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments through the Tripadvisor.com. Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong is a perfect location for business and leisure with an excellent transportation network. The comfortable bedding and room cleanliness are always named in Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong. Also, hotel is regularly arranging a pest control in all public area and guest rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong in the near future.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

For a traveller that requires a nice, clean and quiet hotel with a good location this hotel is perfect. The lobby is nothing grand, but the staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are small, but quality is definitely not compromised. The bed is really quite comfy, great after a long day out. There's a safe in the room and a foldable tea table which i thought was pretty handy. The location is great. (Do note that although the hotel is named Lan Kwai Fong, it is not located in the area itself.) It is located minutes away from the MTR station and getting a taxi around the area wasn't much of a problem. Restaurants and "Cha Chan Tengs" like Lan Fong Yuen and Tsui Wah are also within walking distance. There are no bars near the hotel so noise pollution is not a matter of concern.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments through the Tripadvisor.com. Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong is a perfect location for business and leisure with an excellent transportation network. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong in the near future.
Miami
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Although this hotel was pretty central the area surrounding this hotel was a big no no for me. Very shabby and uninspiring. Had I not stayed at other hotels here in Hong Kong I might have thought otherwise…

Now regarding the hotel itself, nothing really exciting to say…The lobby was small but modern with a welcoming staff. The room, although very clean, had a somewhat cheesy “asian” décor and was the size of a matchbox. The bed did pass the comfort test though. Do not attempt to order room service unless you want to spend 15 minutes trying to make them understand your order.

Would I stay in this hotel again? Not unless I’d want to fall into a holiday depression…but for those wanting a reasonably priced clean boutique hotel this will do.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LanKwaiFongHotel, Public Relations Manager at Lan Kwai Fong Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Thank you for staying with us and your valuable comments of the room service. We will follow up with our restaurant team accordingly.

Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong is a contemporary boutique hotel with a touch of Asian decor. Guests usually appreciate the uniqueness of the design with details. We offer different room types with various sizes. Standard room is good size for business and leisure stay and Deluxe Room / Suites provides a more spacious and comfortable experience.

The hotel is conveniently located in an east meets west area, between the bustling Central and Sheung Wan business districts on Hong Kong Island. The art galleries, designer boutiques and antique shops around create an unique artistic and cultural atmosphere, which is one of the chic and trendy places in town. There are always surprises around the corner. It is just moments away from the international brand shopping malls and the dining, nightlife and entertainment area of Lan Kwai Fong and SoHo
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Except for super expensive hotels in core Central like the Mandarin, it is hard to find a hotel in Hk which ticks all the boxes....one needs to make some compromises, about price, size, or views.

This hotel does not have a swanky lobby, but it works. There are no fawning staff In every corner, but the staff which is there is efficient enough. The rooms are very small, but well appointed. There is a nice bench alongside the window (no views to write home about) which is a nice touch, but the bathroom is tiny. However, the amenities in the bathroom are high quality and the soap smells delicious.

This is a good sleep-and-go hotel although I understand that the restaurant is highly rated.

BEWARE: this hotel is often confused with the LKF Hotel which is actually in Lan Kwai Fong...I can see from some reviews that people are sometimes confused (one negative reviews mentioned the noise from the bars, which tells me that s/he meant the OTHER hotel)....this hotel is, despite the name, not actually in Lan Kwai Fong, which is a cab ride or a 15 walk away. There are no noisy bars anywhere near this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LanKwaiFongHotel, General Manager at Lan Kwai Fong Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments through the Tripadvisor.com. Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong is awarded as “The Best Boutique Hotel in Asia” by World Travel Award. Also Hotel is a perfect location for business and leisure with an excellent transportation network. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong in the near future.
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

5mins away from Sheung Wan MTR station. Few steps away from restaurants and convenience stores.

The room was small but great. Window cushions and tea table is great plus. The queen bed was very comfortable.

Bathroom was clean, consistent hot water flow.

Chinese details on the room.

Staff was great. Friendly and very Helpful. Speaks and understands English well.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

My husband and I spent two nights in this hotel on a stopover to Australia. Our room was small but excellent use was made of the space. The room had everything you would need. There was a bowl of fruit left for us. Also there was a nice array of toileteries.
The hotel is very well situated to tour the area. It is only a short hop to the train station for the Peak and within walking distance of hundreds of shop and restaurants.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. They were only too happy to show us on a map where everything was and advise us where to go.
Also when we were checking out they organised the Airport Shuttle bus for us and helped us with our luggage.
I woudl have no hestitation in recommending this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the city.