“Christmas Dinner”

Ranked #88 of 11,919 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Description: Mott32 represents modern Hong Kong. It is a 170 cover restaurant located in Standard Chartered Building. It is a restaurant that embodies the Chinese culture and philosophy of farm-to-table cooking that has been shaped from generation-to-generation.
Reviewed January 18, 2018

Had Christmas dinner for a party of 6, was fabulous. Did the peking duck table carving and everyone really enjoyed it. We opted to use the extra duck meat to make a duck fried rice which was a crowd favorite.

The gin and tonic cart was also really lovely. The bar tender was incredibly knowledgeable and very fun to talk to.

I'd recommend this place for dinner. However, they did push us out pretty abruptly at the end. They told us we had a hard stop ahead of time when I made the reservation but then the service at the end was very slow which is why we weren't finished and ready to leave exactly on time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed January 17, 2018 via mobile

Taken by clients to this restaurant which is in a basement but doesn’t feel like it at all.

It’s large and buzzy and we were taken into a private dining room.

Service was excellent as was the food.

It’s classic Chinese and although chunky prices was worth it

Worth going

Reviewed January 17, 2018

We had been led to believe that this restaurant was not to be missed. We went for lunch to find it was rather difficult to locate and very busy. You need to book ahead. As we felt, being two, that we could not eat a whole duck designed for four, we were disappointed to find that there was little other duck option. We ordered dumplings which were okay but no different to many other places. The Peking duck salad with truffle oil had a good flavour but only a little shredded duck. I think you might find other restaurants as good or better.

Reviewed January 15, 2018

My biggest issue with them is getting a table, or a duck
They say they need 24hrs for the duck, but really the run out sooner than that.
I dream of going back all the time.
Sadly, it's very expensive.
However, the food is exceptional and venue extraordinary. How often can you eat in a 200 year old vault? They must have a thousand bottle wine list. Really. I can't say enough good things. I love Mott..

1  Thank MTACCHI
Reviewed January 14, 2018

I booked in advance a table on New Year's Eve for 3 for my two Japanese friends who had come to HK for New Year.

Atmosphere:
One of the selling points of this restaurant. The decor was unique and had a good ambiance. It was a shame that there was no view as it is in a basement.e

Taste: The bbq pork was delicious and the duck was great too. The best part of the duck was the wrap. It was definitely the best wrap I have ever had, bouncy and with great texture. The rest of the dishes were fine too. It was very refined Chinese food which suited my Japanese friends well as it was not oily.

Service:
I reserved the table about 2-3 weeks in advance and the lady on the phone asked if I would like to reserve their signature dish which I thought was the peking duck, I said yes. A few days before they called to confirm my booking and I asked about the duck and they said that I didn't reserve it, but reserved the barbecue pork. I was adamant that I had booked the duck and they staff said they would have given me the choice which was not true. In the end they said there was no more duck. On the actual night, there was a cancellation so we managed to get both duck and pork.

On the night, I ordered a drink and it was taken away before I had finished it. When I mentioned this to one of the staff, she said she would check. A few minutes later, she came back with a brand new drink. Obviously they had taken my old drink away without realising it and it isn't a big deal, but for such a restaurant it would have made sense if she explained this to me and then presented me with a new drink. A small detail like that would've changed the whole experience completely.

Price:
For a restaurant like this, you expect it not to be cheap. The whole meal was not as expensive as I thought it would be but that could be due to the lack of alcohol involved, but it is not cheap.

Overall, I think this is a great experience for friends visiting or for a special occasion. The Chinese food is very refined but if you want decent authentic Chinese food (which does involve a lot more oil), I wouldn't necessarily choose this place as you can great tasting food for a fraction of the price. In my case, it was for New Year's Eve and I was happy to pay it for the atmosphere and quality of food.