“Room for Improvement”

Yan Toh Heen (InterContinental Hong Kong)
Reserve with Chope
Yan Toh Heen (InterContinental Hong Kong) is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 11,556 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$200 - US$2,000
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Description: Recipient of 2-Michelin Stars in the 2015 Michelin Guide to Hong Kong & Macau (following 5 consecutive years with 1-star), Yan Toh Heen is recognised as one of the world's finest Chinese restaurants. Chef Lau Yiu Fai and his team prepare exquisite Cantonese cuisine, using only the finest and freshest ingredients. With an understated, elegant ambiance and contemporary design, signature hand-carved jade place settings and stunning harbourviews, Yan Toh Heen has earned a reputation as one of Asia's top restaurants. Open daily for lunch and dinner.
Reviewed January 10, 2018

Tea is a very personal thing. When you have not tasted the tea selection a restaurant serve I hesitate to risk ordering the so called higher end tea. When I asked the gentleman who looked like he is one of the more senior lead in the waiter service how does the tea menu works, he laughed at me. Instead of explaining the different tea to me he pretty much just told me to order the regular tea of $26 a pot instead of the 3 digit priced tea selection. Later I learned the 3 digit priced tea is at the same price point as Fiji and Evian bottled water at this restaurant. I am glad and it is more justified to me to order a regular tea that I won't be disappointed. The same lead server never came back to our table to serve us.

Instead for the rest of the night we were served by this very young server who spilled tea when pouring tea into my cup. He didn't even bother changing the tea filled saucer for me that my tea cup dripped tea every time I picked it up to drink the $26 a pot tea.

The service is not too intrusive. It is attentive but when it is not too busy in the earlier evening, having a server standing by in the dark by the table seem a bit spooky.

We were presented with more than enough and not sure what they are for set of 6 sauces as condiments. They were for general purpose as we were not told which one pairs with which dish we ordered. The range is pretty odd. They were vinegar, plum sauce, soy sauce, and three other spicy sauces. The honey glazed toasted walnut with sesame are very crunchy and tasty.

To keep this short, for food quality wise I am not impressed. The wok fried lobster with crab roe and milk was not only bland but if I was blind folded i would not even be able to tell that i was having lobster. Yet, it is very difficult to not able to identify the lobster texture and its nature flavor?! The Lung Kong chicken dish was good but most decent restaurants can deliver the same caliber and yet this is a two Michelin star restaurant. Of the 4 dishes we ordered, we enjoyed the Wok Fried Scrambled Eggs with Conpoy and Fish Maw even though the locating the Fish Maw was like treasure hunting, and Braised French Beans with Preserved Olives which any flaw can easily masked by the heavy flavor preserved olives. We thought it would be wise to order from the Chef Lau's Recommendations but we were wrong.

Overall, the dishes are fine except we were expecting something of the two Michelin Star quality and that was what left us with lots of question marks. The only thing we knew for sure was there's much room for improvement for both service and food quality at this price point. I am quite sure no one expect going to this restaurant for an average or mid point priced dinning experience. It simply takes quite a bit more to pay some respect to your clients.

1  Thank TravelPuggy
InterContiHKFB, Manager at Yan Toh Heen (InterContinental Hong Kong), responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2018

Dear TravelPuggy,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent visit at Yan Toh Heen. I am truly sorry to read that you were disappointed with some of the dishes as well as the service you were extended by our colleague which did not match your expectations.

We deeply value and appreciate the patronage of all our guests and I apologize if this was not reflected appropriately. We can assure that our staff was not aware and had no intention of creating a negative feeling during your recent visit to Yan Toh Heen, and we have put into place measures to ensure that no similar feelings are ever felt.

I have already raised your comments with the related parties; we will constantly review our standard about the food quality and take necessary action into making appropriate improvements. We will also provide the necessary training to the concerned staff and the team to avoid incidents of a similar nature from occurring again and ensure that the quality of service will never be compromised. We will continuously strive to improve and enhance our standards in order to achieve this. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at Yan Toh Heen in the future.

Reviewed January 9, 2018 via mobile

Location: in intercontinental hotel Hong Kong
Ambiance: fine dining Chinese. It has two michline stars.
Host: proper
Service: excellent excellent service, that exceeded my expectation.
Food: authentic Chinese food tastes so hearty and looks so refined. They have authentic Chinese dishes like the delicious pecking duck, which is highly recommended. We tried dumplings and Chinese vegetables, they were awesome. Rice and seafood courses were delicious too. Desserts were very unique, artistic and not loaded with too much sugar.
Price: high but worth every dollar.

InterContiHKFB, Manager at Yan Toh Heen (InterContinental Hong Kong), responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2018

Dear ANSQ8,

Thank you for having rated us so positively! It is simply wonderful to know you had an excellent dining experience and contributing such kind words to our team! Your recognition has brought them much encouragement. We hope to have many more opportunities to be of service again in future.

Reviewed January 2, 2018

Perfect food, very high standard of service, nice view on of the harbor and very nice wine list! Definitely will be back here!

InterContiHKFB, Manager at Yan Toh Heen (InterContinental Hong Kong), responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2018

Dear Domenic C,

Reviewed December 30, 2017 via mobile

We visited for lunch and were beyond impressed! The attention to detail is astounding and the quality of food exceeded our expectations. One of the best dining experiences we have ever had.....go here if you can get in!

InterContiHKFB, Manager at Yan Toh Heen (InterContinental Hong Kong), responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2018

Dear Melanie S,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your experience at Yan Toh Heen and I am really happy to know that you found our food and service fabulous. We hope to have many more opportunities to be of service again in future.

Reviewed December 24, 2017 via mobile

I was a single walk-in for Christmas Day lunch. No reservation but the staff couldn’t have been more gracious. I thoroughly enjoyed the set lunch. It included an astonishing array of flavors and textures. The service was warm and professional. Thank you for a satisfying and memorable Christmas lunch! I must return for duck.

InterContiHKFB, Manager at Yan Toh Heen (InterContinental Hong Kong), responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2017

Dear Michael P,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your visit to Yan Toh Heen. I was so pleased to learn that you had a great lunch experience, and that my colleagues serving you left such a positive impression. I will take great pleasure in sharing your comments with the team both front of house and in the kitchen, who I know will be delighted to receive such complimentary feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Yan Toh Heen very soon.