It's been awhile since I visited Hong Kong. I remember my first review of Mingle on the Wing back in 2009 and it had brought significant readership and followers from my blog which many took an interest and stayed at the hotel.
Having said that, my reason for staying in Mingle is definitely due to the location, which is in Sheung Wan. The sure way of saving taxi fare is to hop on the Airport Express Train that cost around HK$70 (Est US$9) to transit at Central MTR, pay another HK$24 to Sheung Wan MTR (Last stop on the Island Line in Blue). The nearest walk to the hotel is by exiting "A2" and try to look out for 7-11. Its just a quick 3 mins diagonally across.
I never do like to comment on unpleasantness of the staff bearing in mind that they still need to keep their jobs but that particular trio on shift, showed no interest or hospitality on their faces.
I was allocated to a room, which was directly in front of the lift and what made it even uncomfortable was that the bed was directly facing the main door and lift door. In chinese feng shui, one should never have their feet facing directly the main door, as it signifies the 'coffin position'. I was ill throughout my stay and was little disturbed by the chattering of the chambermaids due to the close proximity to the next room and thin walls. As mentioned by another reader, the bed takes up pretty 95% of the sleeping area and that, my friend, is absolutely true.
It is unusual for me to switch loyalties and find a new place or environment to stay in but I think I've outgrown my time with Mingle and unless you upgrade to an Executive or Deluxe Room, which I was unable to upgrade as it was full.
On the positive side of things, it is definitely a place in the heart of a nostalgic sleepy district, great in-house movies to watch, a Skype phone to connect to your account and decent music systems.
My take is, something gotta be revamped to take the hotel to greater heights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A boutique hotel in Central, minutes' walk from the terminus of all subway lines, the Airport Express terminal, terminus of all ferry lines and jet-foil services, all the best restaurants and bars, all the best shopping malls, the most exotic Chinese cultural sites, and all the financial and business buildings that matter. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mingle Place On The Wing reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mingle Place On The Wing Hotel Hong Kong
- Mingle Place On The Wing Hong Kong