“almost an excellent”

Novotel Nanjing Central Hotel
Ranked #8 of 1,996 Hotels in Nanjing
Reviewed 3 February 2017

We spent two comfortable nights at the Novotel Central during the spring festival holidays. The location is fantastic. It's centrally located and is a less than 5 minute walk from the exit #14 of Xinjiekou station on line 1. We came in on the bullet train (gao tie) and from the bullet train station we took the subway to go directly to Xinjiekou station. It's really easy. You might have a little difficulty finding Gate14 but be patient, you will see it. For 2 RMB per person, the ride from the train station cannot be beat.

We read others' reviews and did not pay for an included breakfast, so I cannot comment on the breakfast quality or service. There are plenty of places nearby at which you can get breakfast foods. One morning we walked to the subway station and looked around there. There are MANY small shops selling juice, coffee, pastries, buns, vegetables and meat on skewers and lots of other things. We stopped at a place and bought yogurt (really delicious), some rice cakes with dried meat inside, and some puff pastries with vegetables inside - all very good - and I think we paid about RMB 20 for all that. The next morning we decided to go for noodles and walked to a nearby place on Zhong Shan Lu. Two large bowls of noodles and a couple of big bao zi came to close to RMB 100. We were really full after breakfast.

The room was comfortable but a little small. I had to pick up the desk chair to move it to the other side of a small table in our room (there was not room to slide it over there) but that's was a very minor thing. The bed, very comfortable, occupies most of the room. Room includes a hot water kettle, safe and small refrigerator - just about everything you need. Bathroom was a little cramped. Anyone using the mirror or sink in the bathroom has to move so that a person using the shower can open the shower door. Again, a minor thing. The room and bathroom were clean and well maintained. Plenty of hot water and clean towels.

We were given a room on the 20th floor, which includes access to the Executive Lounge there. This however, was a little confusing. We were not sure what is included and what is not. We went there for coffee and tea our first night there, no problem. We went back our second day there about 6pm and there were some snacks and salad items and beverages available, but were told that we had to pay extra for these but were still permitted to have coffee and tea, OK, fair enough.

We had planned to walk through Walmart which is just across the street from the hotel but did other things and didn't have time. Plenty of shopping and eating nearby.

We think the Novotel Central offers great value and highly recommend it to all travellers.

Room Tip: we had a good view of Huai Hai lu
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Qian D, 公关经理 at Novotel Nanjing Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2017

Reviewed 25 January 2017

Centrally located, lots of shops, restaurants, Walmart supermarket in front, just 300 meters from subway exit no. 14 of Line 1 (Xinjieku). Inside the subway tunnel are fancy food stalls, all kinds of milk teas, boutique stores, specialty shops, almost anything you can think of. Novotel has nice modern big rooms with great view of the malls bursting with dancing lights at night. But more than the location and the room, it is the hotel staff that I have appreciated. There is this smart and nice lady in the breakfast buffet restaurant named Vera who speaks good English and is very helpful and accommodating. Another gem is a front desk lady named Sunny. She helped me find a church that I was looking for and assisted me for the direction. The cleaning women in the 12th floor are always smiling and will surely start your day on the bright side. With so much foreign and local hotels to choose from in downtown Nanjing and rates about the same, it will always be the quality of the hotel staff that would matter. I will definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
Qian D, 公关经理 at Novotel Nanjing Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2017

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for your recent stay at Novotel Nanjing Central. I hope that our inspirational environment and unparalleled serviced helped to create memories that will last long after your time with us concluded. Thank you for your business, and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2017

This is a modern hotel with easy access to the centre of Nanjing by foot.
As with all modern hotels there is little soul but when travelling on business I believe this to be less important. Main priority for business travel is comfortable bed, good shower and reasonable internet connect. This hotel provided all of these.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the office towers which are illuminated at night.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Qian D, 公关经理 at Novotel Nanjing Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2017

Dear Valued Guest, Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. Hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels.

Reviewed 3 January 2017

This is a very nice hotel at the heart of shopping malls that carry many international brands. However, the reception staff wasn't that friendly and I would say not up to par of international hotel standards. We were disappointed at the front desk reply when we requested for a late check out being a member of Accorplus Gold member. They were annoyed when we ask for the small request.

However, we are grateful of a staff named Robin as he helped us to carry luggage from lobby to the taxi which was parked quite far away from the lobby area despite the rain. He was patient and he was a bit wet when he loaded our luggage into the taxi. Keep up the good work. His dedication and service will be remembered.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Qian D, 公关经理 at Novotel Nanjing Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2017

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for your review of your recent experience at Novotel Nanjing Central. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our Novotel guests have a rewarding stay. We’ve addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in Nanjing, you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 19 December 2016

Your hotel has an excellent location, it's so convenient and easily to reach all attractions in Nanjing.
And your staff are very good as well. My daughter mentioning she is very hot at the lobby, your reception staff give her a soft drinks, she keeps on mentioning this after she came back from China, it's worth of giving a can of soft drinks away.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Qian D, 公关经理 at Novotel Nanjing Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2016

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for your recent stay at Novotel Nanjing Central. I hope you found a world of style, service and connections during your stay, and that you felt the freedom to truly be yourself when you were with us. Thank you for your business, and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2016

The location of this hotel is perfect, which is within walking distance to a nearby subway station. The front desk staff gave warm welcome when I arrived, and nicely told me that my room was upgraded based on the status.

The upgraded room is spacious and with nice view. Unfortunately, the windows do not provide solid sound proof, so I can still hear noise (traffic & horns in particular) from the street. However, I guess it's kind of normal and can be expected from major cities in China.

The executive lounge is clean, quiet, and offer good selection of food. Although in the 1st morning, the staff told me that they do not offer egg options (i.e., I need to go eat breakfast downstairs at the hotel restaurant if I prefer such options), another staff in the next morning welcomed me and offered to cook the omelet for me. What a surprise (but kind of inconsistent service)? I did try to have breakfast in the restaurant at 4F. However, there was literally out of food (in most stations) just around 9:30am (the breakfast ends at 10:30am), and the staff did not seem to actively refill them.

Another thing I was not impressed is the drink voucher as the welcome gift. When redeeming the voucher at the lobby bar at, the staff told me that I can only get coffee, juice (not freshly squeezed), or soft drink. No alcohol, beer, or even sparkling water (although I can read the chinese words on the voucher it allows me to get alcohols). I've never had problems when getting welcome drinks at other Accor hotel (even ibis or ibis styles). This is a bit disappointing to me.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Qian D, 公关经理 at Novotel Nanjing Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2016

Reviewed 5 December 2016

Good location-hit/miss staff when it comes to advise and help in english-just one restaurant that i didnt try but it looked kind of "meh"
If you ever get accused of murder or manslaughter just tell the judges that you once got stuck in their elevator and had to listen to their" fur Elise-musak" for 10 minutes and they will let you go-Trump should stop the waterboarding and play this instead
Would consider staying here again provided the price was right

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Qian D, 公关经理 at Novotel Nanjing Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2016

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for posting your comments, we are looking forward to welcoming you again in Novotel Nanjing Central. Best regards.