New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 217 things to do in Yogyakarta
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Merapi off Road - Volcano tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

Last week during Easter long weekend I went to Jogyakarta and we went to Merapi area. This is my 2nd time to Merapi. This time I brought my family: my husband and 2 teens. We took a package of 3 hours to go around Merapi by off road jeep, the cost is IDR 300K. on the way we can stop to take pictures of kali Adem, Sungai Kuning etc. By going around we can see how the erruption has left so many ashes around, very dry, all become grey. We also passed the houses that has no top anymore, the cemetry of merapi victims and also museum sisa hartaku. A house that can tell you a story when the erruption happened, there was a clock that show that time, cows' bones, motorcycle frame, melted kitchen utensil, etc.

You can imagine the area before and after the erruption, so different.
from few villages become no village.

If you plan to visit Merapi better in the morning and when the weather is shine so you can see the Mount Merapi.

One thing that wonder me we found edelweis plant in one area, far down Merapi. Probably during the erruption the seed flew down and later when the soil become fertil it grows....

It was a good visit to Merapi and to feel its fresh cold whether.

• Arabic first
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful Volcano”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Merapi Volcane is one of the most active volcano in Indonesia. I often visit Merapi to do sight seeing and photo hunting. I have plenty of photo collection of Merapi year by year. I always interested to go back to Merapi. Good time to visit Merapi is in the morning, so there will be big chance to see whole Merapi before it is covered by fog.

Malaysia
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 351 helpful votes
“Couldn't see a thing..so, so.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

Went to view Merapi at the villlage of Umbul Harjo but couldn't see the mountain as it was very cloudy. The trip there took about an hour to hour and a half. Big crowds as it was a public holiday. we arrived to the cool air of an elevated area but there was no volcano in sight. Apparently, there is always a good chance not to see the volcano especially if you start off a bit late (we started off at 8pm from our hotel in Yogyakarta).

One had to pay a small sum to enter the area. The stop where everybody had to get off is a small area with some shacks and sovenier shops.

Apparently, before the the eruption of 2010, treks up the volcano can be made from here but now, one would have to go to the Northern side of the mountain. Since we were there, we decided to go on a jeep tour of the area, which included going through villages which were devastated by the 2010 eruption. Paid Rp250,000 (just over USD25). The open jeep ride was good. Took about 1- 1 1/2 hours with stops at some 'interesting' places. The main attraction was supposed to be going on a ride through villages which were no more there and the lahar/lava flow area. sadly, the place is turned into a stone/sand minig area, with trucks, excavators and workers. Off trail motocyclist has also made a track of the place as well. Big parts of the area has been turned into a big mining pit...if you know what I mean.

If you think you will be visiting small fumoroles with steam still coming out (there are pictures of this at the operators' huts), think again. At one stop, one would have to walk another quite a distance. We did not bother.

There is an interesting site where there is this "Alien Rock". can't figure out the twisted 'face' which was the rock until I took some pictures of it. From the pics, one can make out this 'face'.

We had transport for the entire day all paid for, so this trip was just part of what we had set out to do. If you have to pay for transport there and then pay for the jeep ride, you might be slightly disappointed. If you want to see Merapi and have some energy, just climb it instead.

Our jeep driver made it interesting by telling us what happened in the 2010 eruption, and showing us where his old house once stood. These people who operate the activity around the volcano were villagers at the area. We couldn't help but feel that they deserve having this opportunity to earn some money from the jeep rides, etc.

I am glad we went. I enjoyed the mornig there. But would I recommend it?...you may be slightly dissapointed.

1 Thank FootyboyMalaysia
jakarta
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Probably I'm not the type who enjoy big 4 wheels jeep ride”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

Going there with no money to spend probably the worst thing you would do. You have to pay entrance fee for 3k rupiah, not a big deal, but paying that to enter places with lots of ashes around, very dry and not beautifull.

You also need to check the weather that day, if it's tend to be raining don't go as it will ruin everything.

Mount merapi is very deserted, there's a lot of merchant there who sells food but not so worth it.

If you want to see the beautiful side of mount merapi, you have to pay - as for me, I paid 250k for the off road tour using jeep and the jeep would take normally 3 people inside with the driver, but our family shoved 5 people including me inside which is not comfortable at all. The mountain also very harsh, I really don't like the ride truthfully, but still managed to take smiling pictures.

The scenery are beautifull and the guide explain a lot too about the surroundings and the story.

But since I didn't enjoy the ride, I don't favor it, ahahaha

This type of tour is boys oriented I guess

London, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Magnificent mother nature”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

It's worth travelling to Mount Merapi. Mother nature at it's best. It's a picture postcard. The best time to visit is early morning where the sky is blue and the environment there is still fresh. You'll be amazed at some of the ground near the mountain where smoke or steam can be seen coming out from the ground. If you're alone, the best to travel around the mountain is by motorbike. There'll be a guide companying you and if you're in a group, go with 4WD. The road to the surrounding of the mountain is quite bumpy but fun.

2 Thank shagit