See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 22, 2015 via mobile

we stay there for couples of day but we cansel everything because everything is such dirty and uncomfortable room and unfriendly staff also the owner .
avoid this hotel although it is cheap but you will get crappy things
better stay at the other hotel nearby because after that we move to another hotel nearby and get nice for everything .

Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here for just one night. The room was dirty, the bathroom was falling apart and the sheets and pillows were disgusting. You could hear people talking on the porch which is quite annoying if it's late at night. The outdoor lights were shining directly onto the bed with no way of blocking them out. The breakfast was horrible - they did not refill anything and there was only some toast bread left. However, the guy at the reception was very helpful and even made several phone calls for us in order to find a new room. The room was quite cheap - 150k. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Yes it is cheap, probably the cheapest around the area but it does not mean they should provide a dirty room with smelly pillows, broken shower, poor breakfast and terrible service… and that's what they do.

We booked a standard room with double bed and they gave us a room with two single beds joined together by three small sheets. The room was poor and the shower was useless. You open it and water comes from the handle instead of the shower head. The pillows were old and smelly and during the night the staff were around speaking loud until late like if they were in a party.

During the day the staff were chilling on sofas in the lobby, some of them totally asleep and when we asked them for the breakfast they looked like annoyed by us… My partner kindly insisted that we were ready to have breakfast and one the staff told her to wait on one the tables. We waited for around 25 mins without getting anything so I went to speak to the manager. He was looking busy but I asked him about the breakfast and he said the staff would take care of that. So I went back to the table and waited for another 10 minutes until I got very upset and went back to the manager again. He got quite annoyed, left his office and showed us that there was another room with a table with coffee and toast… that was the breakfast and nobody could tell us before that we were waisting our time waiting for nothing.

During our stay in Mercury guest house, we were feeling unsafe and uncomfortable around the staff. They are really unfriendly, we even had stop greeting them and saying 'good bye' because they just ignored us.

In general, what I can say about this place is that you get what you pay in terms of bed and breakfast but the service and unfriendly staff make this hotel a horrible experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Having stayed one night at Via Via - they were booked up the next night - I spent a couple of hours walking around all the guesthouses in the area and the Mercury was the cheapest available and much better value than any others, I stayed 2 nights here.

The staff were friendly, breakfast was fine, hot water was very hot, room was spacious and clean - plus I slept better here than anywhere else in Indonesia - didn't have any problems with the noise - I was in room 9 halfway towards the back.

The garden & breakfast area is peaceful with plenty of seating and the wifi was as good as anywhere else.

I didn't have any problems that other people seem to have had and this would be my first choice if I'm ever back in Yogyakarta

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank amckenzie
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Javanese guest house with good value and service. The staff very helpfull and friendly. The location in backpacker area, aound traditional market and you can see Javanese atmosphere. You can try free Indonesia nasi goreng at breakfast time. Mercury is my favorite guest house in Jogja :)

• Stayed: December 2011