“Amazing accommodation!”

Palm Breeze Villa Boracay Hotel
Ranked #9 of 225 Boracay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Just wanted to add a review after our recent stay at Palm Breeze. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite and it made what I am sure would have been a good stay a great stay. In my opinion the location of the property is excellent, away from the hustle of White Beach and the views from the terrace area are fantastic. The suite had everything you need to enjoy your stay and the room was spotless and very inviting. We also found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. We were lucky enough to have the pool area to ourselves for the duration of our stay which was excellent as it's a great place to relax. Overall this would have to be one of our top 5 accommodations and we've stayed in quite a few places all over the world. Thanks for making our stay so enjoyable!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stef810
Management response:Responded 15 July 2012

Thank you for your great review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at Palm Breeze Villa and rated it one of your top 5 accommodations in the world. I designed Palm Breeze Villa myself, pouring my heart into it, and putting in every feature I could that I had seen and loved in other top hotels. The aim was to give it a 5 Star spa-resort type of feeling, with comfort and tranquillity as the foremost consideration. So it was a dream come true for me, and I'm very happy to share that dream with our guests. Julia

Reviewed 18 May 2012

We had a wonderful time in Boracay! Our hotel choice was perfect! The staff is outstanding Palm Breeze Villa is away from the mobs of White Beach---sits way up on a hill overlooking the ocean and the dozens of kiteboarders practicing their skills. Always a pleasant breeze by the poolside and I enjoyed my quiet coffees and my lounging reading hours in the sun. The action on White Beach is just a 10-minute walk or a easy $1 or $2 tuk-tuk ride. Boracay is full of good fun shopping and tasty restaurants. We're a military family and vacation around the world---this was one of our funnest weeks in the sun. Norman was great! He set us up with a fantastic sailing trip and even golfed with my husband!!! Kudos to Palm Breeze!

1  Thank tar4
Management response:Responded 15 July 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Palm Breeze Villa and hope to see you here again...Norm wants a re-match on the golf!! :-)

Reviewed 10 May 2012

A bit anxious after reading mixed opinions at this site, I will show my recent experiences on some issues to those who have the same feelings as I had prior to the stay or the decision.

Location:
Bulabog beach is not for swiming. Some part of the beach and its surrounding were messy. Nevertheless, I enjoyed continuous lovely breeze throughout my stay and the ocean view from the resort was good enough. The beach was comfortable for walking after late in the afternoon. As long as you use a short cut path from the backgate of the resort, the access to the main street was not so long journey. If you stop the tricycle before the slope on the return trip, PHP50-70 was enough for one-way trip. But, at night, another gate facing the Boulabog road was locked. In this case, to circumvent this gate, you have to walk quite messy place to reach the back gate of the resort or pay additional PHP50 to the tricycle to climb the slope to reach the main gate of the resort. Anyway, at night, bring a good torch.
Seperately I wrote reviews on 2 restaurants along Bulabog beach for your reference. Both are convenient dining place for the guests here.

Staffs:
They were very friendly. They were diligent from 800AM to clean up public space including swimming pool, so I had no complaint at all about the cleanliness of this resort.

Facility:
I encounterd only short discontinuation of WiFi throughout the stay. WiFi speed was not strong enough for heavy trafficking. But, as long as checking e-mail or browse a simple website, it was acceptable.
Shower was not strong enough. Be patient for a while to get hot shower.
Overall, the facility of this resort meets the standard for a small island resort. I did not expect the standard for more civilized resort.
This is a little cozy resort. My room faced directly to the swimming pool. Therefore, Privacy within the room was not preserved. If you should care about, book a different room: otherwise, your privacy or nice ocean view will be sacrificed.

Recommendation:

Try massage in private beach. It was provided at private beach of the resort. Very comfortably surrounded by nature: breeze and the sound of waave, without mosquito. Worth paying a bit extra on top of that offered at White Beach.

Room Tip: Before booking online, talk to the hotel rather than simply relying on the description and the pictu...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank FreakishFriday
windswept1, Owner at Palm Breeze Villa Boracay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

Dear "FreakishFriday", thank you for your great review! We are honoured that out of the 22 reviews that you have written, Palm Breeze Villa is the first place that you gave 5 stars. :-)
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Our group rented nearly every room in the Palm Breeze Villa during our three nights, and were the only guests on the property. One suite remained empty while we were there. But the owners (Julia and Norman) also maintain a personal residence on site. I can assure you that this small villa is NOT suitable for children. The owners could have saved us a LOT of money, time and heartache by informing us in advance of the expectations for kids and steered us to another property with more suitable options. Instead, they chose to take our money well in advance, with no refund options, knowing that we had six children ages 3 through 12 in our group. They were unwilling to make any concessions when it became evident that we had a complete mis-match of expectations. Do not expect the owners to be flexible or accommodating if you find yourself in this unfortunate situation.

This should be billed as an adult-friendly resort, for those who are looking to escape from the outside world. Should you decide to bring your kids anyway, be prepared for the following.

• Slippery tiles all around the pool area. Standing water around the pool exacerbated it and caused many slips and falls, even when one is walking slowly and paying attention.
• Cockroaches and mosquitoes in the rooms.
• Absolutely no running or jumping into the pool. Try explaining to your six kids on Spring Break to calmly slip into the pool without making any noise or splashing.
• Julia had the gall to insinuate that our kids were “a bunch of noisy brats” from an unsubstantiated 3rd party, and that they were screaming and chasing each other around the pool and throwing each other off their shoulders into the pool and climbing the rock wall. These are patently false claims. Further -- guess what six kids want to do on their Spring Break vacation? Here’s a hint: they want to splash, laugh, and jump into pools. They are not brats, nor are they undisciplined. We were very careful to enforce the owners’ rules after they had been made clear to us.
• It’s a *very steep* walk down to the adjacent “Bulabog Beach”. The stairs are uneven and steep, making it difficult to carry any beach toys, chairs, towels or small toddlers.
• The Bulabog Beach is a dump. It was filled with trash, rotten coconuts, driftwood, seaweed, and (in our case) a dead cat. Yuck!
• The famous “White Sand” Beach is not a short 15 minute walk, as claimed on the owners site. We timed every day at about 30 minutes each way when travelling as a group. Oh, and be prepared for crumbling, pot-hole filled alleys with standing water, rocks, trash and vagrant animals roaming the alleys. My wife had the unfortunate experience of tripping on some of the cement and scratching up her hands and elbows on the filthy road. Leave the flip-flops in the room and wear sneakers for the long journey. And keep your kids close, as the taxis are dangerous hazards.
• The motorcycle/taxis (tricycles) did not have enough horsepower to carry our family up the steep hill back to the resort. Time to climb back up those steep stairs.
• Do not expect to go “play” at White Sand Beach and then escape back to the hotel for a nap or refresher. We were stuck making one long trip out, and one long trip back every day.
• Don’t start swimming prior to 10am, and don’t make any noise past 10pm. Even though we were the only guests on the entire property, Julia and Norman informed me that an early morning swim was too noisy. This was similar to the experience of other guests per their reviews.
• I will also add that we received many compliments about our children’s behavior from the many other trips we’ve taken around the globe. We don’t just let our kids run wild. We try to let our kids just be kids and have a safe, fun time. That was not our experience at the Palm Breeze Villas.

Julia and Norman have many other rules, which they were eager to advertise and enforce throughout our stay. You won’t find these rules in advance on their web site:

• It’s the first Bed & Breakfast that I’ve stayed at (across a wide variety of properties in Asia, Europe and North America) where “Breakfast” is not included. You won’t find that fact on their website. A breakfast entrée is roughly US$9, plus another few bucks for a coffee or other beverage. That’s over US$50 per day for our family of five.
• No glassware is allowed in ANY of the public areas. I understand this common sense rule, but was tired of being reminded by signs in the bedroom, kitchenette, bathroom, poolside table and any other flat surfaces in the property. So we poured our drinks into the cheap plastic cups provided by the owners.
• No suitcases on the beds. Scuff marks are frowned upon.
• No henna tattoos on any of the guests, or else be prepared to fund new sheets.
• Turn off all of your air conditioners, lights, appliances, etc. in the room whenever you’re not in the room. The owners don’t like having to turn on the generators during the many power interruptions on the island.
• Don’t bother to use the local phone in the guest rooms to make dinner reservations. There are no local phones in the rooms.
• Be prepared for very quick hot showers, unless you prefer cold water. The hot water tanks won’t last beyond 10 minutes. This is consistent with other reviews. So tell your kids to jump in the pool rather than take a shower. Oh, wait. Ask them to nicely slip into the pool without making any noise.
• The hotel staff are friendly, but really hard to find. Especially in the evening after a long day at the White Sand Beach and a long walk back to the villa.

I am not typically this negative in my reviews (feel free to examine my many other postings), but I was compelled to clearly identify the faults of the Palm Breeze Villa. The property does look like the images shown on their website, but be prepared to “look, don’t touch.” And leave the kids at home!!

10  Thank Steve T

We are sorry you found our pool rules and other rules such as no glassware on the pool deck to be too onerous and therefore you did not enjoy your stay. Please note to other readers that this guest was part of the same booking group (of 2 families) who wrote a very negative review on April 7th. That review and my reply can be seen below. Regarding the public beach front road which was broken up during a typhoon, you may be pleased to know that the private residents and businesses in the area are getting together to pay to get it fixed properly. Hopefully we will have that done soon. (Last year, we residents also joined together to pay for another section of the road to be fixed at the corner by the Italian restaurant.)

Reviewed 19 April 2012

First off, I found this hotel by using Tripadvisor and looking at reviews, and it did not disappoint.

Pros:
- The setting and view of the hotel is very picturesque, sits perched on a hill overlooking the bay and all of the kitesurfers.
- The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.
- The breakfast (although a bit pricey) was very good and we enjoyed eating there every morning.
- The room was spacious and nicely air conditioned, had wifi and television with a lot of English speaking stations.
- Power outlets fit US electrical plugs
- The owner and her husband live at the resort and were extremely friendly and helpful when looking for dinner recommendations or things to do on the island.
- Great proximity to kitesurfing, we took lessons during our trip and all of the places to get lessons were a quick walk from the hotel.
- The hotel was secluded and cut off from the chaos of White Beach and crowds of Boracay.
- Definitely get a massage from the hotel, the setting is in a cove by the water at the base of the hotel, very serene and relaxing.
- Very clean resort, nice pool and patio area.

Cons:
- A little bit a cockroach problem, but from what I hear that's common in Boracay.
- The beach the hotel is on is not good for relaxing or swimming, it is the polluted side and filled with kitesurfers. But White Beach is a quick 10-15 minute walk away, and is great for swimming and has great white fine sand.

All in all, I would highly highly recommend this resort to people traveling to Boracay, especially couples. Even though it is not on White Beach, trust me it is better to be here and walk to White Beach than stay right on it, where you have no privacy and its a little chaotic. It is better to be able to leave White Beach when you have had enough. Get the hotel breakfast and massage, even if its a little expensive, especially for Boracay, but they are worth it. Also, great hotel for people looking to kitesurf, but also want a romantic place to stay with their partner.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Deluxe Room, good size and can be 2 beds or a massive one bed (putting the two beds t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles B

Thank you for recommending our resort and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We are glad you enjoyed the kitesurfing too - Bulabog Beach has become known as the best kitesurfing beach in Asia and is the only beach in the Philippines with full kitesurfing schools and equipment. We are also happy to hear you enjoyed the massage in our private beach area and liked our breakfasts. We are very sorry you found a cockroach in your room - our staff do spray in each room every day when making up the rooms, and do a thorough spray every time a guest checks out. We spray around the grounds very regularly, as well as getting professional pest control people in every couple of months. We are happy you found it a very clean resort and enjoyed the quiet location on Bulabog Beach, as well as our recommendations for dinner and activities. Hope to see you back again at Palm Breeze Villa.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed at Palm Breeze for three nights with my wife and we enjoyed every moment of it.

The view is magnificent, and the whole location was perfect for us to relax. There is a daybed which looks over the bay (which we had fallen asleep on within minutes of arriving) and a small pool to cool down in. There were only three or four other rooms which made for a very private and quiet location.

Our room (apartment-suite) was very comfortable, and had two air-conditioners and a fully set up kitchen. They served a very generous full breakfast, although we found it was overpriced and only ate once. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and even arranged a bottle of wine when they found out we were travelling on our honeymoon.

From the villas, it was only a short walk down the back stairs to the Bulabog beach. Bulabog beach is mostly used by kite surfers, and is not an inviting beach to swim in, but the walk to the White Beach was only 15 minutes or so, or a $1.50 tricycle ride. There were few decent restaurants on the Bulabog side, too, so we often travelled to the White Beach/D'Mall during the day. Despite the distance, we preferred being on the Bulabog side of the island, as the white beach is crowded through all hours of the day, so we enjoyed being able to walk through the calmer streets.

This is the place to visit for a quiet, relaxing break. This may not be the best place if you hope to wake up and walk straight into the beach, nor if you need to entertain children. But for our honeymoon, this was perfect.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank namenotrequired

We are so glad you enjoyed your honeymoon at Palm Breeze Villa. We also prefer staying on the Bulabog Beach beach side of the island which is much quieter than the busy White Beach. Hope you will return some time in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Months before we went on this vacation I had multiple email conversations with Norman. I was pleased that they seemed to be ready for our group of 2 families including 6 kids under the age of 12 to stay for a week. Everything on the website seemed to be what we wanted. We usually stay at resorts but some friends of our had recently stayed at the Argonauta and said it was a great time. Argonauta was booked so I continued to look on TripAdvisor and found 7 Stones which the owner replied and said they were booked but could accommodate us at Palm Breeze.
We had a very nice welcoming from the people there. It was late when we arrived but it seemed to be very nice. Julie told us about a little place to eat just down the road and how to get there. The path "short cut" to the road was down some very steep rocky stairs and not well lit, but I knew the next day would be better. WRONG.
Our children were up early and ready to play in the pool. It was 7:30 but we were the only families, besides the owners (who live there). Almost immediately we were met by Norman with the pool rules of no running and jumping in the pool. Seemed reasonable since that is most any pools' rules. Little did I know that included just standing on the side of the pool and hopping in. At one point my sons started to get carried away and I was just telling them to settle down when Norman came around the corner and said "we can't have that kind of play, there is not a hospital here if someone gets hurt." I acknowledged this and said we would try to get them to be more settled. Soon after that we were told that if they couldn't be more quiet he would close the pool down until 10 AM. One of my children started crying and went into our room because "what is the point of a vacation if you can't have fun" he said.
We then went to their nice little patio where they serve breakfast only. I ordered 3 large pancakes for my kids and then got a bill of about $45 USD even though the website says it is a bed and breakfast (which again according to the website means breakfast is included in room). After that, we decided to go look down at the beach behind the villa. Wow, what a mess. I don't know what they consider their part of the private beach but every bit of the beach was littered. The water was murky and essentially not something I would let my kids get in. (Let me say, another reason I picked this place is because I liked the idea of being able to spend a little time on the beach and then head back to the room for down time. Especially with a 3 year old that still naps and can wear out easily.) Our only option for beach time was to go somewhere else.

We later had a talk with Norman and he informed us that most families don't hang around the pool and go to White Beach for the day. (which was our plan for part of the time). He explained the debris was from a recent storm and he also didn't think the beach was good for kids to play in, just kite surfing, which the beach is known for. I told him he knew we were coming with small children why weren't we told this. He said you saw the website, "our villa is what it says." Maybe so, but it is also does not give you a full picture. He also said that most parents should be able to tell their children they need to be quiet because there are other people around. A very frustrating statement considering we were the only ones occupying rooms and kids do tend to be noisy, especially 5 of them boys, and I don't like being told what kind of parent I should be. Clearly he didn't raise kids of his own. He said if the children wanted to act that way at the pool we need to sign a waiver saying he won't be responsible for injury. He clearly was not wanting my kids to play around the pool, because of possible inconvenience to him though he will say he was concerned for my kids.
After a discouraging talk with him we decided to take the "15 minute walk" to White beach. More like 25-30 with kids. Not fun when you have to carry a small child most of the way dodging trikebikes and tripping over uneven road. The rubbish piled along the beach got worse, including a dead cat that had been there for quite a while. It looked like a dumping ground. Once we got to the beach we did find a place to settle in and it was a lovely day. Getting to and from the villa seemed to be a challenge. The trike rides were not as cheap as we were told and we did try to bargain. They also struggled getting my family of 5 up the hill to the villa. The trikes cost us 100 pesos each way. This was frustrating considering there was a small Palm Breeze Villa van that sat in the drive of the villa the entire time and we were not once offered a ride anywhere. The walk was not easy with the smaller kids.

Getting food was also not easy. If you didn't bring any you have to go out. The restaurants close to the villa we very limited and had slow service. We ordered a meal to the villa that night, which we only knew about because one of the employees ,whom you rarely see, told my helper we could order delivery. It seemed as though everything here was just inconvenient.

The tile around the pool was very slick, just walking around that area myself and others slipped multiple times. The stairs were all made of very jagged rocks so there was no running around barefoot. I saw another person complained of the shower water. I too had a problem with my water taking a very long time to heat and then it would go from warm to cold throughout the shower. I didn't complain because I would have to go hunt someone down. Once morning had passed you didn't see anyone unless you went a found the help at the back of the villa. We also had decided there was no way we could stay for a full week like this so didn't think it was worth my time. There are no phones or clocks in the rooms, so no calling the front desk to get assistance.

We left the Palm Breeze after 3 nights and went to the Shangri La Resort. What a difference, like walking into paradise. The kids were able to fully enjoy their vacation and in return I did too. The only reason we stayed a little extra time at Palm Breeze was to try and save a little money since we had already paid by PayPal and it was made clear to us there were no refunds of any kind. The morning we left, Julie showed up and acted surprised we were leaving. We explained again our expectations and what we felt we received. Again, she stated the same thing Norman had, almost like it is rehearsed, "our website is clear about the villa". I was also very upset that I was made to pay an extra 10500 pesos for my helper to stay when my husband ended up not coming due to a family emergency. They did not allow her to "take" my husbands place. After all as Norman puts it, "this is a business".
Bottom line, they want you to sleep there and pay for the accommodations but when morning comes hit the road. I felt like they just didn't want us there just our money. I guess we were too much for them and we definitely felt it.
If you don't mind inconvenience and you are a couple looking to be completely removed from everything this might be an ok place for you. For families I would suggest another place. I wish I had taken the few negative comments from others to heart, it would have saved me a lot of time and money and anguish.
I know that Julie or Norman will probably have their own comments because they want to save face, but I hope other families will read what I have said. I don't know how this place is rated a number 1 bed and breakfast when it is not that at all. I travel a lot with my family and friends and this has been one of my worst experiences.

10  Thank Kim S
windswept1, Owner at Palm Breeze Villa Boracay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

We are sorry these guests did not enjoy their stay here, but we do have to observe common sense rules around the poolside, and also to respect the rights other guests staying at the villa. These guests did not book all of the rooms at the villa, and apart from 2 days of their stay, we did have other guests staying with us, including a honeymoon couple who booked several days in our poolside suite.

We have had many families stay with us in the past, their children have enjoyed playing in the pool (some have been snorkeling, playing in small inflatable boats, with pool toys and having a great time) and we have never even had to mention our (common sense) pool rules before.

However, these six children were screaming and chasing each other around the pool area , throwing each other off their shoulders into the pool (very close to the stools of the poolside swim-up bar), and climbing on the sharp rocks of the decorative rock garden/waterfall area at the end of the pool amongst the light bulbs and wires. At one point they had splashed so much water out of the pool that the sundeck area was totally flooded and we had to lower the level of the pool water for safety reasons.

Our manager spoke to their Filipina nanny on her own accord in Tagalog (their language), and asked her to please try and calm down the children, but she was told that they do not listen to her. We were genuinely concerned for the safety of the children, and when Norman went up to talk to the parents, the youngest of the children had already slipped on the wet floor and was crying.

We also have a responsibility for the enjoyment of our other guests, and felt especially concerned for the arriving newlywed couple who had chosen to stay with us for a romantic and quiet honeymoon. In fact, we have had several guests comment on this review since its posting and they have all said that they were glad to hear we would not allow such behaviour.

For the record: Our large pancake breakfast with fresh fruit and coffee or tea costs P350 + 10% = P385 which is about US$9, so 3 breakfasts would come to $27 and not $45. We make all our breakfasts fresh upon ordering and do not make any profit on them; it is merely a service that we offer our guests.(Our staff keep the 10% service charge and divide it amongst themselves.)

The extra charge for the nanny was for the extra bed provided in one of the rooms, as we were informed by our guest that they had decided to bring her along just a few days prior to their arrival, plus we did not charge the usual extra bed charges for the other children.

There are always staff around the Villa, and as the sign says on the Reception door, if there is nobody is at the front desk then simply ring the doorbell and someone will be with you within less than a minute.

In closing, we are saddened that these parents felt they had a bad experience because they could not just let their children run wild, but had an accident happened, it would have definitely been much worse.