“Cheap bed in a clean room, hot shower, amazing staff. What a find!”

The Hive Singapore Hostel
Portland, Oregon
“Cheap bed in a clean room, hot shower, amazing staff. What a find!”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

So glad we stayed two nights at The Hive. The staff went way above and beyond our expectations when we arrived, even giving us directions to other nearby hostels to compare prices. No one could beat the S$25 for a dorm bed in such a nice environment. A light breakfast (toast & juice) was included and our bathroom was kept nice and clean. We ended up getting a 4 bed dorm to ourselves both nice...doesn't happen often! The location is so-so...the Lavender Street Food Market is a 5 minute walk away and it's a 10 minute walk to the subway's purple line entrances. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Hey GlobalVagabonds!

How was the Indian beer you bought? =)

We are very glad we met your expectations and that your first time in Singapore left you with pleasant memories (I know one of you visited Singapore before. =D)

We understand that you have many more months on the road so we wish you well and hope you enjoy yourselves!

We will be making some improvements to the hostel so if you do return, look out for the changes!

Take care!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 25 February 2012

5 min walk from Boonkeng Station.
Bus stops in front of the hostel - win.
One of the cheapest hostels in SG.

Bedsheet had stains.
Bathrooms In the main bldg were okay.
Booking is very easy.

Would probably stay here as a last resort, nothing more.

• Stayed February 2012
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Hi Rmdsalv,

We are sorry to hear about the stains on the bedsheets. It is not our standard to place stained sheets for our guests. Rest assure the team will be reminded to look out for such details when they go about their duties.

However, we would like to thank you for this feedback and hope that we can be of service to you in future.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 19 February 2012

It's my first time to go out of the country (Philippines), first time to travel solo, first time in Singapore, and first time to book in a hostel!

I'm really expecting less (since it's cheap) so i have booked for 2 days only thinking to book in another hostel afterwards. But the first time I set foot on 'The Hive', the homey and comfy atmosphere welcomed me and I instantly fell in love with the place! Thus I decided to book there for the rest of my stay in Singapore (12 days, from Jan 31 to Feb 12, 2012)!

I have booked to a 12 bed female dorm but I was placed in an 6 bed female dorm (because it's fully booked already) which was just awesome since i got it for the same price! And to add that I have the room by myself for several days so it's like I'm in a private room! Cool! =))

The staffs were A-okay! They're really accommodating and friendly and would take the extra mile to make your stay comfortable!

For the breakfast, accommodation, location, rate and staffs, It'll be three stars for me!!!! =)

I'm really really thankful for 'The Hive' for making my stay in Singapore a memorable one! It has been my second home and would definitely stay there when I visit Sg again!

Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: just ask for a place / room that's not fully occupied (if you're to choose a dorm type room...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Hey hey LeAnde N,

It is really heart-warming to know The Hive made you felt so comfortable. We do our best and hope every one that stays with us leaves with a positive experience.

Our staff will be very glad to hear that they have served you well.

If there is anything you think we can add or improve, feel free to drop us an email. Thanks and good day!!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Sorry for the late review but I traveled here way back in 2008, and it is very great . The staff back then were very friendly and helpful. I even got a chance to use their computer for free, and during the night, I can watch the television in the lounge area just like when I'm at home. They serve breakfast too, giving us some bread to make toast, and drinks like coffee or tea. Yeah, maybe I'm a bit late to review about this hostel, but I don't mind going back there and stay here again. Oh, I lied about going there in march 2011, it was actually march 2008 =)

Room Tip: Any room would be good , i guess .
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Hey Vicious1990,

This is indeed a surprise! We really appreciate you sharing your experiences with the world even if it is 4 yrs later (not late...but just later. =D)

We have changed over the years and if you do have the chance to come by Singapore, you might want to just pop by and say hi. Breakfast offerings have improved just so you know!

Thank you once again!! We really appreciate this!
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Friends and I flew in to Singapore for Laneway Festival. Originally, I suggested we all stay in the same hostel so we could occupy an entire dorm-type room but they dilly-dallied on their reservations so I went ahead and booked a twin-room for me and my mom (who tagged along the trip) for Feb 9 to 15.

We were given the Daisy room which had a balcony and a sink as a smoking area. Was pretty pleased because that meant I didn't have to go down to the street for a quick smoke lol. The twin room is pretty basic with ample space (especially compared to the two double rooms I saw in our building): two single beds, a small table, one chair, a shelf to put stuff on, and wall hooks for clothes (no cabinets but that wasn't a problem since we barely unpacked our suitcases anyway). There are two bathrooms on our floor but we took a particular liking to the one with windows that opened up into Lavender St and Serangoon Rd as it was bigger and cleaner than the other one. There is no shower curtain to divide the shower area from the toilet bowl and that really wasn't much of a problem; if wet toilet seats bother you, there is always toilet paper to wipe it dry anyway. There is also a blow dryer in one of the hallways, which I was glad for!

The building we were in is accessible with an electronic key card so safety/security wasn't an issue. Not that I was worried, I find Singapore to be such a chill, safe place.

I read reviews on TripAdvisor beforehand and knew that the blankets provided were basically thin, scratchy things. I thought about bringing my own blanket but decided to just save space, suck it up, and wear a jacket if I got cold in the night. I slept comfortably my entire stay, even though I'm used to having two pillows while sleeping. Could be due to exhaustion, too, lol.

Location is perfect. I chose The Hive because it was near the Boon Keng MRT. Mustafa Center is a quick walk down Serangoon and Drop Inn and Drop Inn Too (where a few friends were staying) are just down the road along Lavender. There are several bus stops in the area, too, which was very convenient for me, having discovered gothere.sg during the trip. There is a 24-hour hawker center along Bendemeer Rd with a 7-11 nearby. A Claypot Rice restaurant is across the street and there are a couple more hawkers along Beatty Rd (I think; the street across Gopal's along Serangoon), one with a very nice auntie who let us stay and drink beer way past closing. A cab ride from Clark Quay cost me 8SGD-10SGD (including the night surcharge).

My only complaint is the wonky wifi connection in our room, which kind of prevented me from getting much work done. Everything else was just right and well worth what we paid (55SGD a night). Would definitely stay at The Hive again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Helga W
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Hey hey Helga W!

It was a pity your friends wasn't staying with us. It would be so much fun having a big group in the hostel.

We hope the sign at the balcony door didnt force you to smoke more than you usually would. =p

I am glad on the whole The Hive has served you well. We will definitely work on the WiFi part so thank you for the feedback.

Till the next time, take care!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Just got back from Singapore, stayed at Hive for a night. Made a booking via email, the staff replied me promptly. Me and my friends arrived Singapore early in the morning, the staff let us to leave our luggage at the hostel for free before check in and after we checked out.

I took 2 double bed rooms. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Toilets are also clean. Me and my friends enjoyed our stay and definitely will come back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Derpette
Hi nabesh,

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your kind compliments.

It is our goal to respond to emails within 24hours of receipt and I am glad we are keeping to that.

We hope to see you again if there's a chance because we are going through some major changes to make The Hive THE hostel to stay in.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My first experience of a backpacker . Had to travel to Singapore on 9th Feb for holiday and had my hotels already booked from 9th. However, had to come for some good reason I must say on 7th to Singapore and had no place to stay :-(
Called HIVE from airport. The first experience of customer service - Exellent. The way I was addresed over the phone by Mahesh(sorry if I got the name wrong), made me make up my mind for this place. Booked a QUAD private as was with my wife and IN-LAWS !!! So now u guys know that with inlaws and wife I stayed in this place and I AM HAPPY so this place have got something. The shared bathroom(it was not just the shower or a toilet, this as a BIG bathroom with all) was bang opposite to our room. Convinent and a 5 mins walk to MRT. This place is clean, safe and in very good hands. Definetly recomended for those who are not fussy and for those who do not expect for a 7 star facility for the price being paid.
To the Hive management - The biggest compliment for you guys is that my Father-in-Law said to me - Man u should have booked this place for all the 7 days of our stay in Singapore ... :-) I would have loved but I could'nt do so as I was booked on a NON-REFUNNDABLE rate in a 3 * hotel already :-( ..... Will C U guys soon.
Thanks...

Room Tip: If looking for a QUAD, must go for the MARIGOLD.. The DECENT breakfast if free for all with free co...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RitwikK
Hey RitwikK!

We are very very glad that you and your family slept well at The Hive.

We love your father-in-law! =) We loved that he didnt mind roughing it out at a backpackers' hostel.

As for Mahesh (yes, you got the name right!), we will pass on the compliments to him. It would make his day to hear such nice comments.

Wherever you are right now, take care!