“Cheap but won't go again”

The Hive Singapore Hostel
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I slept in a female dorm (6beds) for two nights. This dorm is located in another building which is opposite of the main hostel.

Pro:
1. Cheap.
2. comfy beds (if you are not taking the top bunks as some skills might be needed to climb).

Cons:
1. Unfriendly staff.
- no effort to introduce the hostel facilities, etc.
- Barging into the dorm at 10am to switch off the air-con. (did not knock politely, esp when the person was a guy entering a female dorm and made so much noise with his keys) I had had a long flight and extremely tired. This was my greatest annoyance which I find it terrible to be waken up by the staff instead of the guests in the same room. *Pls note that the air-con has a timer which can be put to good use)
- Did not find them friendly or try to initiate small talks. (my first time experiencing such "unfriendliness" among the many hostels that I've been to)

2. Lack of shower rooms and toilet.
- 2dorms on this floor accommodating 16 people but only provide: 1 toilet with shower attached, 1 shower room, 2 basins

3. Insufficient power socket
- of all the 6 beds, only one has socket beside it.

Summary:
Good reviews from other travellers encouraged us to stay here but it was a wrond decision after all. A little more introduction of the hostel might have reduced my dissatisfaction or was it because my skin colour matters here? That was how I felt.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Hi s1ngee,

We are sorry the hostel did not live up to your expectations especially when it was highly recommended by other travellers.

I can imagine how it felt not being engaged by our staff. I am certainly not impressed by that either because that it not what we are known for and it is not our standard. The hostel and I take pride in making the effort to engage our guests. Rest assure I am personally looking into this matter and speaking to the staff in question.

We note your feedback about the insufficient shower facilities and power sockets. We are in the midst of a discussion about relocating our premises hence we did not embark on the project of adding more shower facilities which we intended to.

We will be wrapping up discussions very soon and there will definitely be improvements to the hostel so that we provide even better value for your buck.

Thank you so much for this feedback. We really really appreciate it. We hope we can be given another opportunity to be of service to you and your friends some time.

Till then, take care!

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Speaking IMHO... Not up to my expectation as a hostel. Was not informed that the dorm is not in the same building as the reception. Have to cross the street and walk for a good few minutes to get to my dorm. Only two shower rooms available on the first floor for a big number of us. Staff dashed into female dorm without knocking and woke all of us up while he tried to turn off the air cond. Wifi is rather slow. And I felt being treated differently because I'm Asian! But credit to the comfy bed, I slept well...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank KenixSokYee

Hi KenixSokYee,

We regret that the location of our other building caused you inconvenience. We are currently in discussion with our landlord to relocate that premise.
As for our staff who dashed into the room, we will take appropriate actions to ensure it does not happen again. We make it a point to tell all our staff to knock before entering the female dorms.

Please rest assure that we treat all our guests equally. We have had many Asians staying with us and certainly do not treat them any differently. Me, being Asian myself, will give you the assurance there's no racial discrimination.

I am also glad there's a silver lining among the dark clouds. We are glad the mattress was comfortable because that's the basic we must provide.

Thank you for your feedback. We hope you will give us another chance someday to be of service to you again

Reviewed 24 March 2012

A little north of the Little India quarter we had a very good stay during our visit to Singapore.

The twin room was spacious and clean. Good and quiet air-conditioning. Shared shower and toilet were clean and good.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2012

Hey TripadvNL,

Thank you for your review!

We are happy you had a good stay at The Hive. We do hope to see you again if there's a chance!

If not, take care wherever you are!

Reviewed 20 March 2012

i booked double room no window only cost SGD 50, it's small room but clean. such a great deals! bathroom isn't attached with room but clean as well. i suggest you bring your own blanket if you go here, since its too thin and air con so freezing. They serve nice breakfast tho'. MRT just across the hostel, 5 min walk to Boonkeng station. great location! i would definitely stay here again if i travel on a budget ;)

Room Tip: i don't do dormitory rooms, better to book double room WITH window
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Hey hey Nhazzla M!

Thanks for the review!

We have noted your feedback about the blankets. Frankly, we are in the midst of changing our blankets to something nicer, better and lighter.

As we always say, we are constantly improving ourselves and with feedbacks like this, it certainly makes our job a whole lot easier! Thank you!

Reviewed 14 March 2012

I was searching for a good hostel with dorm type rooms since I'm only traveling solo and finding a cheap but cozy place is a must for me. I saw their website and it's the cheapest I found and location wise.

One thing I love in this place was their bathroom, very neat and the water pressure is good. Free wifi as well and the signal was strong especially when youat their lobby. Feel free to use their computers for free if you do not have laptop.

If I only had picture I'll submit it here as well and show how cozy this hostel is, but since I stayed in mixed-dorm type, it's kind of awkward to take photos while everyone is inside. I was with group of Indonesians who went there just to attend a Cosplay convention.

They have friendly staffs. They are young around 19 to 22 years old and speaks English very well. They even help me to on how to get to some places like Singapore Zoo. Free breakfast is being served as well. They had me try the Kaya toast which is awesome!!

I will definitely stay here again sometime when I get back to Singapore on a solo trip again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Ada W
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

Hey adaphobic,

We can imagine how satisfying it is to find something that met and some even exceeding your expectations!

We will keep doing what we have done well and will still continue to make The Hive an even better place to stay in.

You will definitely find something different the next time you return.

Till then, take care!

Reviewed 8 March 2012

So glad we stayed two nights at The Hive. The staff went way above and beyond our expectations when we arrived, even giving us directions to other nearby hostels to compare prices. No one could beat the S$25 for a dorm bed in such a nice environment. A light breakfast (toast & juice) was included and our bathroom was kept nice and clean. We ended up getting a 4 bed dorm to ourselves both nice...doesn't happen often! The location is so-so...the Lavender Street Food Market is a 5 minute walk away and it's a 10 minute walk to the subway's purple line entrances. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2012
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Hey GlobalVagabonds!

How was the Indian beer you bought? =)

We are very glad we met your expectations and that your first time in Singapore left you with pleasant memories (I know one of you visited Singapore before. =D)

We understand that you have many more months on the road so we wish you well and hope you enjoy yourselves!

We will be making some improvements to the hostel so if you do return, look out for the changes!

Take care!

Reviewed 25 February 2012

5 min walk from Boonkeng Station.
Bus stops in front of the hostel - win.
One of the cheapest hostels in SG.

Bedsheet had stains.
Bathrooms In the main bldg were okay.
Booking is very easy.

Would probably stay here as a last resort, nothing more.

• Stayed: February 2012
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Hi Rmdsalv,

We are sorry to hear about the stains on the bedsheets. It is not our standard to place stained sheets for our guests. Rest assure the team will be reminded to look out for such details when they go about their duties.

However, we would like to thank you for this feedback and hope that we can be of service to you in future.

Take care!