“Great location, awkward hostel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Singapore
Prince of Wales Backpacker - Boat Quay
Ranked #106 of 223 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
New York City, New York
“Great location, awkward hostel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

This review is for Prince of Wales Boat Quay location.

We stayed in the private room at POW Boat Quay location, literally on top of POW pub. The location is great, and the stuff were friendly. There are 2 private rooms are on the 4th floor, essentially like an apartment bedrooms with a shared bathroom.

Now the awkward parts. We had to check in the hostel at the bar, a small bar during busy friday night. Dragging our bags past the performing band, and through the drinkers and dancers to get to the bartender to check in. Yelling at them so they can hear me above the music.

The room is a converted mezzanine, so what you think is a big window behind the bed is actually where you overlook to the room below, which happens to be the girls dorm room. That was a bit odd. Probably even more so for the people staying below, that anyone can peek at them from the mezzanine above. The good thing about this set up was that because there's no outside facing windows, the room is relatively shielded from the bar noises outside. There is a clerestory window above, so there is some sunlight in the room still.

All night long there're some critters above in the ceiling, making really loud scratching and screeching noises. I don't know if its mice, pigeons or what, but it is loud, and it goes on all night. So though we don't get noise from downstairs, we still couldn't sleep.

The breakfast here is really a shame. Sliced white bread, some old fruit, and you get a choice of peanut butter, margarine, and marmite. To add insult, there's a sign telling you that you can only have 4 peices of bread, and you need to wash your own dishes after. I understand food costs money, but really, either charge a few dollars more and provide some basic breakfast, or just don't include it.

Finally because I had to leave very early in the morning, I notified the staff the night before, which they told me they would give me my key deposit back by sliding it into the room and I can leave whenever. Of course they didn't do that. POW you still owe me 5 bucks.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Qian21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Big dorms are really good for meeting people- they have dividers though which is good for a bit of personal space, half price on food is helpful and makes eating there really cheap for Singapore, really good food and you get a huge amount of it. The dorms are a little hot even with aircon on as the room is huge- top bunk is cooler. Discounts on drinks are good also. Staff are really laid back and on the ball. Really cool nice friendly place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed at the Toowoomba private room at the Boat Quay hostel with my partner back in March. It costs $80 per night ($40 per person), and you will not get a better rate for private rooms anywhere else in Singapore, unless you don't mind staying in those cheap one-night-stand inns in Geylang. The private room has a nice comfortable Ikea double bed, the slick wooden floors are spotless and it is air conditioned. The bathroom is shared with the only other private room on the same floor, and it is huge and has powerful shower equipped with hot water. Also, access to the rooms is secured by a door with an electronic lock and there are no curfews.

Knowing that the hostel has a bar downstairs (which is also its reception), I was initially worried about noise and cleanliness. There were absolutely no concerns of that sort. Of course, our private room was located at the topmost floor but you hardly can hear noise as you walk up the stairs even at the first floor above the pub.

Also, the pub is not those sleazy types patronised by questionable characters and plays loud, blaring music. It is your typical British/Australian type pub where you can bring your family for lunch. Pleasant staff, and the music they play is awesome. (Arcade Fire is in their playlist so that's awesome).

At nights, you get to enjoy live acoustic performances at the bar. Food and beer (selected) is also available at a discount for guests. There is free toast and coffee in the mornings, but for us it did not matter because we would usually hunt for local food in nearby Chinatown.

Location is excellent. About 10 mins walk from Clarke Quay station and it Marina Bay/Esplanade/Chinatown is totally walkable. And of course, on nightlife spots, you are spoilt for choice with the pub-oriented Boat Quay and the more glitzy nightclub haunt of Clarke Quay outside the doorstep.

If this sounds ideal to you, then this place is Excellent. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The private rooms are on the top floor - probably 3rd or 4th - so just a warning as the stairs are q...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DarthIronMan
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I have been VERY disapointed by this hostel.

First of all, the guy who welcomed us was not pleasant at all and didn't make any effort with his english to let us understand and when we asked him to repeat just to make sure we really understood, it seems to really annoyed him !!!

Secondly, we found the room very expensive for the basic stuff we found inside, no private bathroom and very noisy during the night !!! It really didn't deserve the price we pay!!!
The breakfast was also very limited.

I think the staff really need to make effort if they want backpakers to come again.
It is really a shame because the location is very nice and the bar included in the hostel is very pleasant, but the staff really need to improve the way they welcome their guests !!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alice B
jessthecollie, Manager at Prince of Wales Backpacker - Boat Quay, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Hi there,
Very disappointed with your review as we strive to make every guest as welcome as possible.
Can you please with a reply stating which Prince of Wales you stayed in, Little India or Boat Quay.
Also can you provide me with the date you stayed and also the approx time you checked in so I can accurately access the review. Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

After landing in Singapore from a 18 hour delay flight from the U.S and being so exhausted I decided to give myself a treat and stay in the Marina Sand Hotel . After spending 400 dollars for a night (not worth it ) I then decided to look for cheap accommodation. As I was walking by the river, a 10 minutes walk from the new Casino and desperately looking for local food I was surprise to see a hostel in the middle of the financial district of Singapore. It was kind of awkward . I drank a beer and met some backpacker , check the rooms and then decided to give it a go . For 22 dollars a night it seem like a good idea. I had a blast in POW ....great atmosphere , nice staff, clean rooms, great toilets!! no curfew as they have electronic doors :) If you are looking to have fun and enjoy your stay in Singapore ,Prince of Wales is the place to be. On the other hand if you are a boring backpacker that doesn't like meeting people , listening to good music and meeting lovely girls .. then stay home .

Now in the middle east working ..looking forward to my next holidays

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank t f
Bogor Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

It was my first time to stay at Singapore hostel. Too bad on my first day, I and my friend should experienced problem on our internet online booking. It was said there was a problem on my online booking system so the hostel only could accomodate one of us. We decided that I would stay in the Prince of Wales hostel and my friend would find other place to stay.

This hostel is very excellent in term of location. Staff/Manager are also kind and helpful. I really love the shower, clean and the shower run very nice. Suppose we didn't face problem on online booking. It would be perfect for me to stay in hostel for the first time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank ekalagam
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

" Got to Singapore yesterday and went straight to Prince of Wales
Boat Quay as a recommendation from my Columbian friend andres. the
view from the rooms is amazing as you are in the heart of the
financial district right beside the river. The new casino, the
merlion , the national museum , raffles place and all the stuff you
need to visit in Singapore are a walking distance. It's a cool place
if you also like to hang out in the bar , hear to live music every
night and meet cool backpackers.. Had an amazing time in Prince of
Wales!!!!! recommended all the all the way .. now enjoying time in ..Siem Reap
,Cambodia"

Room Tip: stay in the mix dorm room , more fun than staying in the girls dorm. Rooms are nice ,clean and good...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo