New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore

The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore
Ranked #2 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
West Vancouver
“Four Dressed Up as a Five”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

There is lots to like about the Fullerton Bay Hotel. The hotel amenities and rooms are beautifully designed (providing that you like modern architecture), the location is central to the Financial District (I was travelling on business) yet also next to the Marina District with its many shops and restaurants, and the service was friendly and helpful (though hardly a unique attribute for high-end Asian hotels.)

The rooms and bathrooms are of adequate size though certainly not generous. They are well appointed and, with floor to ceiling windows, offer fantastic views of the Marina. A nice fruit plate was waiting in the room (though it was not replenished during my six night stay which is often the case in other high end hotels) and there was lots of bottled water that was replenished daily. The Bose docking station was a nice touch. There was a good desk and chair in the room, which was important since this was a business trip.

The hotel's location is excellent if you are here solely on business or a combined business/pleasure trip. While there is lots to do around the Marina area, it is relatively new and still has a bit of a sterile feeling. (I stayed at the St. Regis on Orchard Road before my meetings started and there is much more vibrancy up there.) Be sure to watch the nightly laser and water show over by the Marina Bay Sands Hotel; you can see the show from the roof deck of the FBH but it is a 10X better experience watching it from the other side. There are 10 or so restaurants within a couple of hundred meters of the FBH: the ones I went to were adequate but nothing stood out.

My rate include internet and breakfast. Both were first rate. The Internet was easy to access, connectivity was excellent and download speeds were pretty good. The breakfast buffet was also excellent, with lots of fresh fruit, both Asian and North American hot dishes, pastries, cereal, and a fresh omelette bar.

All this sound pretty good so why not five stars? Despite all these pluses, there were several, albeit relative minor, issues that tarnished the hotel's shine.

1. Room service food was very disappointing. I had lunch twice, selecting an Asian option both times, and I was delivered a meal on par with what one would find in a North American food court. Both times the meal came quickly (about 15 minutes) so I suspect that they keep prepared menu items in warming trays. Anyway, avoid room service unless you are really desperate.

2. The food at the Lantern Restaurant on the roof top deck was also mediocre. (I hear the Clifford is quite good but after three pretty crummy meals at FBH, I did not want to pay up for a meal from a team that has a pretty lousy track record.)

3. I called for a laundry pick up. They forgot. Fortunately, I was here for another couple of nights so it was not a problem waiting another day for it to be done. (Laundry is very expensive, though not out of line with other high-end hotels charge.)

4. There was a problem with the light beside the bed: a wiring malfunction that caused one light to flicker even though it was turned off. I asked to have it checked and was assured on my return that it had been taken care of. I turned the lights off that night and the light started to flicker again. Normally I would have just unscrewed the bulb but access was restricted by screws. I called down at 10:00 pm (I was still jet lagged and just wanted to go to sleep) and had to wait 30 minutes for them to deal with it. This is a reasonable waiting period but it should have been fixed the first time I asked.

5. The pool is beautiful. Unfortunately, the are only 8 loungers (and no chairs) around the pool. There are also 3 shaded "pods" near by. Whenever I went up to the pool, there was no place to leave my stuff because the 11 places available were all taken. The roof deck area is first and foremost a bar/restaurant and the pool is sadly nothing more than a water feature. This was just a bad design decision.

6. The gym is small and poorly equipped.

7. The rooms are already starting to show some wear and tear. Most noticeable are the hairline cracks in the bathroom sink and the poorly fitted closet doors. Management is going to need to stay on top of these areas or the hotel will run down quickly.

Bottom line: Don't get me wrong, this is a great place to stay. However, management needs to up its game if they want to maintain their reputation as one of the best hotels in Singapore.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank BASLJM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Moonta Bay, South Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Fullerton Bay for three nights in March this year as a stopover on the way home from Malaysia. The hotel is faultless, from the doorman to check in and personal escort to our room everything was friendly and professional. As it was our wedding anniversay whilst we were there upon arrival at our room there was a chilled bottle of Moet, fresh fruit, cakes and chocolates with a personal card from the Management wishing us a happy anniversary. What a lovely surprise and it didn't stop there. The breakfast in the gorgeous Clifford restaurant was fantastic, great array of food covering many nationalities and if something wasn't there you wanted they would make it for you. My tip is ask for Eggs Benedict with the smoked salmon - to die for! Nora is a great hostess there and even organised a surprise desert for us when we dined at the Clifford on the night of our anniversary.
The hotel is spotless and the room facilities and decor were second to none. We had a Premier Bay View Room with a large deck and loungers looking straight over the water to the Marina Bay Sands. Perfect spot to view the nightly laser and music show whilst sipping some fine Champagne. The bed was very comfortable and the robes were so luxurious that I bought one to take home.
We had a late night flight home and although we had to check out by 12 noon the hotel kept our bags safely locked away for us until we were ready to leave.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, they were really well trained but very friendly as well.
I would recomend staying there if you can afford it - hotels this good do not come cheap and for a special occasion it was worth every cent.

Room Tip: Premier Bay View rooms have the best balconies with sun loungers and the best views
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moontatravellers
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

My friends and I stayed for one night for new year countdown and the view was absolutely fantastic! Overlooking marina bay view, it felt we had the whole harbour to ourselves as we sat at the balcony for the countdown. The fireworks were right in front of us at the balcony!

Our room had a bathtub with tv and many facilities were top class. Service was also excellent as we were greeted by service staff at every point. Complimentary breakfast the next morning was certainly delicious and well-served by the friendly hotel staff.

Overall, we had an excellent stay! I would suggest to book this place for New year countdowns as singapore will be having its annual fireworks at marina bay!

Room Tip: sea view facing marina bay
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Helsinki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed three nights over the CNY in January 2012. It's a lovely hotel as so many guests have already written here and certainly one of my Singapore favourites. I loved the beautiful materials in my sea view room and the bathroom and the common areas are very stylish as well. I enjoyed the room service meals and I found the breakfast quite nice and both had items suitable for vegetarians as well. Maybe the menus could be more varied in thet respect.

The pool is best for grown up lap swimmers, which I appreciated. However, the pool area is my main complaint about this hotel. Funnily enough it's a bar area in the evening and there are too few shaded loungers and any proper loungers at that. The loungers are at ground level so if you have any knee/ back etc problem you'll find it terrilbly difficult and not at all flattering to get up from your lounger. Most of these loungers are "in the pool" and without any shade. Who wants to fry herself in the sun these days? All in all the area seems more designed to twenty somethings, altough the clientele seemed more middle aged to me. The pods are nice, but there are only a few of them.

An other smaller issue I want to mention is the air con controller in the room that is very difficult to manouver without any instructions, it went straight back to really warm. The former applies to the balcony lock as well.

If these issues could be made better this would be a wonderful hotel and in my opinion one of the best in SIN .

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MrsMK
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

My wife and I had a 3 nightstop over in Singapore in March 2012 after a break in Malaysia.

We decided that we deserved a treat so after some research in Tripadvisor we chose the Fullerton Bay.

From the moment we arrived at the entrance to be met by checkin staff and personally escorted to our bay view room we knew we had made the right choice.

The Fullerton Bay is a small hotel (100 or so rooms) in a suberb location close to excellent Singapore transport options. We had a bay view room (311) that gave an excellent front row seat for the light show from the hotel across the bay.

The hotel design is nothing short of stunning with a 'wow' at every turn. Having said that, it is still intimate and you can feel comfortably at home...a neat trick.

From the rooftop pool and Latern bar to Landing Point and Clifford restaurant this place is all class. The service is understated but always what 5 star should be but so often isn't.

Treat yourself....you won't be disappointed

Room Tip: Bay View for sure. We were on Level 3 so no noise from Lantern bar on the roof.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

If you're looking for a hotel near the Marina, without question, this should be your choice! It's a small, boutique like hotel with 5 star service and amenities. The roof top pool has a beautiful view of the Marina. I must say, the food I ordered at the pool wasn't great, however the breakfast and the dinner I had at the hotel was exceptional. The martini's at the lobby bar were perfect and the concierge service was really helpful. I felt that the staff really went out of their way to make my stay comfortable and enjoyable. I requested early check in and they accommodated me at 7am, with a room at no additional charge! It really does have a small hotel feel with, again, 5 star service. Oh, one thing, if you have a taxi dropping you from the airport, make sure you say Fullerton BAY Hotel, they have another hotel called Fullerton Hotel nearby, which I was first dropped off.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Marina View. It's spectacular at night.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I arrived here after my stay at MO, Singapore which was a perfect stay so its fair to say that the bar had been set high but on arrival at FB I had to have 3 room changes.

The first room they had put me in a twin bedded room. Yes it was for single occupancy except on the last night but they had not distinguished between single and double occupancy when selling me the room so this was rather cheeky and after I had got used to the sprawlingly big bed at MO I didn't think I would be super comfy here. I had arrived at 7pm and the staff on duty at the time handled things a little clumsily in my view. My experience of the difference in service between here and my last hotel was immediate. Perhaps its to be expected of a younger hotel like the FB but its place at the top of many reviews had also made me expect more efficiency and finesse from the staffs handling of problems.

Other than the twin bedded aspect this room on the 5th floor was perfect and my subsequent room transfers left me wishing I had stuck to the original notwithstanding a more restricted bed space arrangement. I was moved to a lower floor even though I had specifically requested a high floor in my booking. I suppose the issue here was that there are only 5 floors to the hotel! But I would have thought that a high floor request usually indicates a preference for quietness away from the noise on the street etc. This was especially relevant since the second room I was given was facing Customs House (a collective of bars and restaurants) which is open until 2am most nights- not great noise factor for a light sleeper. Even worse was the strong musty smell pervading the 3rd and 4th floors not only in the corridors but also in the rooms. I note that other reviewers have mentioned this. Its a real problem which the hotel so far refuse to even acknowledge which doesn't help matters.

So I was moved to a third room which had been freshly sprayed with air freshner and by now it was 8.30pm and it was a case of settling for this room or cancelling my plans for later that evening.

The room itself was the most spacious and beautifully appointed room and I was told that all rooms are the same other than the floor they are on and the outlook which determines their category.

The entire hotel is quite stunning if you appreciate the Starck/ New Design style. The only room I stayed in which has this wow factor is at the Viceroy Miami but generally its not easy to find a standard category of room in any hotel across the world of this calibre. I think the FB has just won the best rooms category in Conde Nast also and it is well deserved. It has the highest ceilings, huge mirrors and floor to ceiling windows giving the room such a great boost of natural light. The room at MO, Singapore was too deep to catch all the light and the ceilings much lower so it wasn't a great room to spend alot of time in. The FB rooms even have a smoking/ sun balcony as standard. Its a great feeling to stay at a hotel that is so generous in its allotment of space to its guests in this way.

Bathroom was also spacious with walk in shower and huge bath. The bathroom amenities were the new range of MB (or specially designed for Asia) but had just too much perfume in to use generously. Housekeeping was minimalist and not the best. Towels were of a cheap (hard) quality for this category of hotel. The lighting in the bathroom and bedroom was perfect. The entertainment system was modern and easy to use.

The gym is modern but tiny and poorly equipped but (perhaps for that reason) no one seems to use it. There was no bottled water in the gym which was surprising- just old jugs of water with orange bits- looked unappetising. The pool is on the top floor with the Lantern Bar set around it. The latter is always busy so if you like to swim with privacy in mind you won't get it here. Having said that it does create a very nice hang out area in the day and night and bar staff are especially friendly and welcoming.

Like many new design hotels the FB has an 'uber-cool' reputation amongst the locals and yes it does have the wow factor that MO lacked. This makes it special especially for the younger crowd. But I have not yet come across a hotel which balances the service versus cool factors together perfectly. It seems one always comes at the expense of the other! But if you have any suggestions otherwise please contact me as I always like to keep informed.

Breakfast was a big disappointment- the fruits were not the best quality and the range was small. They should serve freshly squeezed juices as standard where the fruit is available in such abundance instead of having to make a special request for it at breakfast! Ofcourse I would probably have not said this had I not had breakfast at MO for 6 mornings previously but I was not paying that much less here so it could be fair to expect the same. The breakfast room itself was a great space, light and airy although not many nooks and crannies for those seeking a more secluded breakfast experience.

Taxis were normally easy to get since the FB is off the highway and they can be flagged down quickly. Infact the location of the FB is very nice as you can easily walk to many bars, restaurants, and right by the waters edge. If you walk over the bridge connected to outside of the hotel you reach Raffles Place with its boutiques and nice cafes or catch the MRT. Its in the Financial District and you can sense this as you go out in the daytime.

I would have given FBH 5 stars but for the variable service, the underwhelming breakfast and the odour in the hotel- since it ticks many boxes for an otherwise great stay. The rooms are the best choice if you are working indoors in the day so I would definitely consider staying here again if they could do something about the musty smell.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room make sure you put in a request for a room on the side fcaing away from the...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple