Open today: 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Book In Advance
Tours from Palate Sensations Cooking School Day Classes tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?

from US$73.40
from US$100.10
from US$75.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

I have been here over 3 times this year. During my course of over 3 classes, I have seen people from all walks of life and countries to learning Chinese dishes.

If you are a foreigner, it would be a great experience for you to understand how Chinese cooking works and the dishes that we are familiar with. The instructor is very well travelled and she can actually suggest many good alternatives for you to cook back home.

If you are a housewife, newbie, or even just wanting to know about Chinese cuisine, this is the right place for you too! You will get to hands on various types of cooking method and try the dishes we love as kids.

I have even seen maids coming to the class and she was able to learn all the dishes. The instructor can speak Chinese, English and malay with ease. Hence communicating isn't a problem.

All in all, the school really puts in effort in their modules to suit the interest of different types people. The instructor that I learn from is really one of the best that i have ever encountered. You can tell that the dishes she cooks are the ones that are close to her heart. The length (timing) of the class is very much reasonable and the price is definitely affordable for the type of environment, effort and experience you will get.

You won't regret coming here! =)

PalateSensations, Owner at Palate Sensations Cooking School Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 days ago

Thanks so much for your kind words and for coming to our classes. Chef Shih will be thrilled to read this. We hope to see you again soon. Happy Cooking and Learning!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Signed up for this 1-day class with a friend. The class was supposed to start at 10am and end at 6pm. It started a little late as my friend and I were late as we could not find the carpark. The trainer started by telling us that she would end the class earlier than 6pm as she was going to meet a friend for dinner. Fine, we understood and didn't have issues with that. The trainer then said she would end class by 4.30pm and asked if we were ok with that. We were fine with it as she said we had more than enough time to complete everything.

This turned out to be totally untrue. We were rushed throughout the class. The trainer was impatient and would be sarcastic if we asked any questions that she deemed unnecessary. There were times when we were doing food preparations or cooking and she would be elsewhere chatting with another trainer instead of checking to see if we were doing fine or needed help. She kept rushing us throughout every item that we were making, especially for the last 2-3 food items. As there were 5 of us in the class, we were spilt into 2 groups and my friend and I were in 1 group while the other group consisted of the remaining 3 ladies. As the other group had 1 more person, they naturally finished things faster than us. The trainer didn't wait for my group to finish cooking our last item and kept calling us to take a group photo when we were trying our best to complete our cooking. And it was only 4.20pm at that time. By the time we packed the food, cleaned up the place, filled up the feedback forms and left the kitchen, it was only 4.50pm.

Seriously, this is totally unprofessional. The course cost $250 per person and was supposed to run for 8 hours. If it ended early because there was more than enough time to cook and prepare everything, I would have had no problems with that. But in this case, the trainer rushed us through preparing and cooking the items and was totally impatient throughout just so that she could end early for her own benefit! And she achieved what she wanted, by ending at 4.30pm, at the expense of those who paid and were rushed through the class.

Granted, the trainer was knowledgeable and the food made was delicious. The portions were also generous. However, can I remember much of what I had learned in the class? Not at all, it all whirled by in a flash as we were rushed, especially for the last 2-3 food items. So would I go back to Palate Sensations again for a class? Highly unlikely, after such a negative experience.

2  Thank AvidSGTraveller
PalateSensations, General Manager at Palate Sensations Cooking School Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. I will speak to the Chef to ensure this matter is addressed. Thank you for bringing it up. I am glad despite the rush you enjoyed the recipes.

I will reach out to you privately on your email as well.

I hope that despite your experience, you will give us another chance and return to another class. We have many classes on offer from many cuisines and many chefs that teach at Palate Sensations. It is not our policy to rush our participants. It is always our intention that all participants not only get a hands on experience, they learn at their own pace.

Reviewed September 9, 2018

I attended the advanced sushi course and it was my first time at Palate Sensations. I can honestly say I have never had a better cooking experience than with Chef Amelia!! I learned not only how to make sushi, but also learned various thing about the culture around it ect. She even gave us a recipe of a sauce that was not in the curriculum and told us where we could be the utensils to cook the things at home. The ingredients were A+ and very fresh.The class was very hands on and everything was very well explained by Chef Amelia. The venue was extremely clean, the staff friendly and the event was well organized. I can recommend this class to everyone!!

Thank you so much for this great experience!!

Reviewed June 14, 2018 via mobile

We were a little unsure what to expect when we booked the 2 day Thai menu course.

The course was really enjoyable, ingredients and equipment were first class and the chef was friendly and knowledgeable.

We forgot to mention my wife was vegetarian and, on the spot, the chef found tofu and quickly made her own vegetarian vegetable stock.

The place seems well organized and the class size was only 6 on day 1 and 4 on day 2. The chef was very watchful and the meals produced were delicious.

Is definitely recommend for couples, family or just friends / foodies who want a more unusual activity together.

PalateSensations, Owner at Palate Sensations Cooking School Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2018

Thanks for coming Steven and we are so happy to hear that you all had an enjoyable time. We hope to welcome you all again in the future!

Reviewed April 28, 2018

We were in Singapore for a family (my wife, myself and 3 children of 7, 5 and 3 years old) holiday and had contacted Palate Sensations in advance to arrange a private cooking workshop.

The experience was really great. We were welcomed by Rebecca, the operations manager and introduced to our chef, Loreta. Everything had been laid out and prepared for us. Workspaces, and all of the ingredients. Smaller knives for the children, and larger ones for the parents.

Some cooking classes are more "cooking shows" - but we got to do every step of the process. Not only that, but Loreta shared and taught us real cooking skills, such as how to handle a knife for maximum safety, and the quickest way to cut vegetables for our Japanese stew. She patiently explained everything. While we cook at home, we are far from professional cooks, but Loreta made us, parents and children, feel comfortable and we all took away something from the workshop.

Then there was the little things which show you've come to a great place. Everything was spotless. Ice water, tea and coffee were provided in a corner. And when the children were at the end of their attention span, they could run around in the playground which is just in front. The table was set for us and we got to enjoy our lunch. Rebecca was on hand at all times to help us take pictures, and shortly after our visit, I received an e-mail with the recipe and the photos that were taken. All little details that show how much thought was put into the service.

Palate Sensations is certainly not the cheapest option for cooking lessons in Singapore, but we felt it was time, and money, well spent for a great experience.

The place was happening with two other groups taking classes, but it was well managed and not overcrowded. All in all, a big thank you to the team!

PalateSensations, Manager at Palate Sensations Cooking School Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2018

Thank you for coming. We really enjoyed your company and we are happy to hear that you and your family had a great time. We hope to welcome you all back again.

Reviewed November 5, 2017

We would like to extend our sincerest gratitude for helping us with our special activity. Your venue and equipments are superb and all the contestants are unanimous in praising is as the ideal place for these kinds of events. Kudos and heartiest thanks to CHEF LORETA VALDEZ for being so accommodating and helpful with all our needs. She imparted cooking techniques and advices which are valuable to non-professional cooks such as our contestants. Rest assured we will recommend the place to our friends. Cheers for Palate Sensations! Cheers to Chef Loreta!

PalateSensations, Owner at Palate Sensations Cooking School Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2017

I am so excited to hear you all had a great time. Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you all back in the future.

Lynette Foo
Owner

Reviewed May 4, 2017 via mobile

A big thank you to Lynette & Brenda for making our cooking class a day to remember. Learnt 3 new asian dishes. The instruction Brenda gave was informative and simple to understand and she was helpful at all times. The best part was obviously eating our finished meals at the end.
I would recommend a private class like this to anyone interested in learning how to cook local cuisine. We got so much more out of it and the staff were lovely on top of it all.
thanks again!

PalateSensations, Owner at Palate Sensations Cooking School Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2017

Thanks for the lovely review! It was a pleasure for us to have you and your mum at the school.

Have a great stay in Singapore!

Palate Sensations Cooking School

Reviewed March 21, 2017

We went on the market visit and then the cookery morning.

The market visit was very well organised - met at the agreed location 5 minutes early and Lynette took us round the local market talking about everything - from the food to the way the ordinary Singaporeans live their lives. We sampled some typical foods for a quick snack and then it was a short 5 mins. taxi ride back to the kitchens.

There things were very well set up - the aprons went on and Lynette put us to work!

Although the ingredients for the three dishes we had chosen to make (trust me, 3 is enough work and food!) were measured out there was still plenty of hands on prep. required. Chopping, peeling, grinding etc. gave us a good understanding of the ingredients and their role - Lynette knew all the details and gave us a good commentary on what we were doing and why.

Then we fried/roasted and wok'ed our way through the cooking phase - being shown how to use chop sticks as cooking tools etc. All very hands on - it was our food and we were preparing it under guidance but nonetheless doing the tasks.

About 90 minutes after we arrived at the kitchens there emerged the most marvellous lunch - 3 interesting dishes - had we really prepared food as authentic and flavoursome as that?

Now we are the proud owners of Palate Sensations aprons and also the detailed recipes - there's no stopping us!

Many thanks to Lynette and the team for an informative, well structured and very tasty morning. This is a great way to get a real flavour of Singapore!

PalateSensations, Owner at Palate Sensations Cooking School Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2017

Thanks for coming guys! It was good to see you both. I hope you will cook some of these dishes when you go back home.

Reviewed March 20, 2017

I am a return student at Palate Sensations and highly recommend the cooking classes. I recently took the two day intensive on Kueh with chef Loh Shi Erh and Dimsum pastries with Lynette Foo. Both sessions were excellent.

The facilities are well equipped, scrupulously clean and the instructors knowledgeable & well organized. I particularly like the level of professionalism displayed by the staff and expected of the students. This is not edutainment demo cooking - quality ingredients are on hand but they have to measured, weighed, prepared, cooked & presented by the students (with no wash-up! ;-)

Palate Sensations offers a diverse range of cooking classes and cuisines. Learning how to make kueh and dimsum is normally only available through aunties or professional chef schools. Since I had neither (auntie nor chef school), this was excellent way to learn and a great alternative to the one-item-at-a-time options available to the casual student. The school also offers corporate team building events, parties and longer, multi-week cooking series. I've not attended but they look well organized.

My classes were ideal class sizes - three/four - which is enough for everyone to be hands on and sufficient so that the instructor could answer any questions.

I've been to a lot of cooking classes, from home kitchens to Le Cordon Bleu. I can honestly say that Palate Sensations is one of the best.

I highly recommend.

Hello hello! Thanks so much for coming and it was great having you in the classes.. Remember, add all the water in the dough!

Happy cooking and baking!

Reviewed July 19, 2016 via mobile

I have been here before to do cooking classes and returned for a second recently. The classes are well planned and hands on, very enjoyable. Easy to get to from Boena Vista MRT station.