Orchid Hotel
US$314
US$203
Panpacific.com
  • Pool
One Farrer Hotel & Spa(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$163
Wangz Hotel(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$127
Agoda.com
Crowne Plaza Changi Airport(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$143
Marina Bay Sands(Singapore)
US$529
US$312
MarinaBaySands
  • Pool
Ibis Singapore on Bencoolen(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$94
Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore(Singapore)
US$409
US$243
US$104
US$83
Hotel G Singapore(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$147
US$124
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstanjong pagarmrt stationdouble bed and a single bedmaxwell hawker centrespacious roomwalking distance to chinatowneast west linebusiness districtthird floorfood centreminute walkgood sizerooms are bigwalk in showerswimming poolexcellent locationhotel is located
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed in this hotel mid-March 2012 for 5 days. Although I had read mostly excellent reviews about it, the staff didn’t make a good first impression. I contacted the hotel on 2 occasions (via the Agoda booking form as well as via email) prior to my arrival with an early check-in request (seeing that I would be on a 13 hour flight), but didn’t receive a response within the first two weeks. It was only after calling them, that I received a reply, in which they noted that early check-in is subject to room availability and that I could ensure that my room was available by booking the night before against the full daily rate. Although I can understand that this might be hotel policy, I found it hard to believe that all 254 deluxe rooms would have been booked, so I decided to take my chances. I arrived in the hotel around 7am and was indeed told that my room wasn’t ready yet and that I had to wait in the lobby. The reception staff apologized for the inconvenience and offered me free bottled water. It was only until around 10 am however, that they were able to check me-in, and this was only because I insisted that a room should be available now as I had just seen someone check out 15 min before.
It’s also good to know, that they ask for a 50SGD guarantee on your credit card. This is just in case you use something from the minibar (which was only stocked with Tiger beer, coca cola and sprite I might add). Although there are two free bottles of mineral water in the room (restocked daily).
Finally in my room, I noticed that I had accidentally left behind my camera. The good thing was that the manager handled this issue swiftly and efficiently. As it turns out, I had left behind my camera in the elevator and the manager returned it to me himself within less than 10 min.
My room (1513) was clean, big and spacious with a light décor. The bathroom only had a shower, but was very clean and extremely spacious as well, with great water pressure and an adjustable showerhead. The room also had a very beautiful skyline view over Singapore. Housekeeping did an excellent job. Every time I went out and switched on the please make up room button, the room was swiftly cleaned and toiletries were fully restocked when I got back in
I had booked a deluxe room promo with free wifi. I was able to go online, but the connection seemed excruciatingly slow during, what may have been, certain peak hours.

There’s a small gym, sauna and swimming pool on the 3rd floor, which are all open from 7am-9pm, which I thought was a definite plus. There’s also a restaurant/ café on the third floor, which offers an American as well as Continental breakfast, against reasonable prices (around 17 SGD).
Another pro is the excellent location, within a 5 min walking distance from Tanjong Pagar MRT and several shops (incl. 7-eleven, supermarket and a small fruit market).
The staff effiency/service can really be improved on though.
I had booked a day tour with an 8 am pickup. Having waited 10 min. in my room, I decided to go down to the lobby and inform the reception desk that I was expecting someone from a tour agency. It was only then that they informed me that the driver was already waiting outside! A call to my room would have been nice though.
All in all, I would rate this hotel as average. They have got a lot going for them, but at the same time there is definitely room for improvement. I did like the nice atmosphere. I really got the feeling that they respected my privacy (staff was very friendly without being too pushy).

Room Tip: request a room on a higher floor, for the best views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank MLR84
Reviewed March 18, 2012

All the previous comments about the hotel are true, good value, large room, clean and convenient but the wall is thin, if your neighbor is loud you could hear their conversation as most of the rooms are connecting. Stayed there three nights, on the second night was awaken at 1:30 am by my neighbor who just checked in. Luckily they checked out the next day. BTW, asked for a bottle opener on the third night and been told they do not have any despite there is an in-house restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a non connecting room (limited quantity on each floor)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MJFORFUN
Reviewed February 28, 2012

The Orchid hotel is a new hotel in the Tajong Pagar area. The rooms are big, the bathroom a delight and the bed & pillows so comfortable. The hotel is across the road from markets, hawker food stalls, restaurants and shops. Less than 100 metres away is the entrance to the MRT station and from there Singapore is accessible. A very easy walk to Chinatown. Combined a business trip with a few leisure nights and had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CarTraveller13
Reviewed February 18, 2012

The Orchid is right on Tajong Pagar MRT station which provides easy access throughout Singapore and and a one, easy change link to Changi Airport.

The staff are very professional and rooms are spacious,well-appointed and decorated.Singapore can be expensive for hotel accomodation and I believe the Orchid represents very commendable value for money.There is a swimming pool,sauna and small gym on the 3rd floor.

Chinatown is only a few minutes walk away and downtown a short trip away by MRT.Get yourself a NETS card and explore the city.

The justly famous Maxwell Food Centre is a stroll up the street and if local food at super prices is high on your list,as it always is on mine - The Orchid may be just the hotel you are looking for.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Crooked Nose
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Unexpected from the simple lobby outlook, the rooms were excellent and real value for money. Location is great too. Would recommend as hotel is new, everything is perfectly in good working condition.

• Stayed: January 2012