“It's all relative”

Ranked #66 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Wellington, New Zealand
“It's all relative”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed and in fact, am still here now at the Hilton Singapore for a conference. I've been thinking that seeing I trav el so much, I suspect my expectations of hotels may be too high so for this review, I'll list all the pro's and cons and let you judge for yourself.

Generally, the Hilton isn't my first choice of a hotel chain as I can't help thinking of chucking money at a certain spoiled brat who has far too much discretionary income and I hate thinking that I'm contributing to her and her pooch! Consequently, I'm only at Silver level so aren't afforded any of the niceties like upgrade to a suite or access to the lounge.

This is my first time back to this Hilton for many years as the last time I was here, I found it too tired and in need of a refurbish. Well, it's had the refurbish but the rooms are still tiny but I guess we can't do much about that? The room itself is OK but the furniture is utilitarian and looks as if it all came from IKEA.

So, the pro's! This is easy and I'll give it to you in one word, Nordia! I needed to do some printing the other night and being technically inept, Nordia helped me and was absolutely superb and was above and beyond the call of duty!

The cons? Well, I had dinner in the restaurant the first night I was here and I thought the prices were very high, especially for the drinks at $15 for a soft drink! i ended up having a Char Kway Teoh at $20 which was OK but the meat was tasteless and the noodles tasty so obviously, the chef never mixed them while it was in the frying pan!

The breakfast is OK with the ice cream and cream puffs particularly yummy!

The room was S$290 as this was a conference price and as per my heading, comparitively OK as the Singapore hotels are veyr expensive! The ones I usually stay at here, Shangri-La, St. Regis and Sheraton Towers were all over S$500 and I could never justify that to our beanies!

Service is friendly and the conference morning and afternoon teas were great!

So, recommended or not? It's in a good location and you get what you pay for! Would I stay here again? Depends on the tariff!

Room Tip: I'm in room 1327 which looks out over a park, or was that a car park with trees?
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
HiltonSingapore, General Manager at Hilton Singapore, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Dear RayC888,

Thank you for your honest review of Hilton Singapore. We value your feedback and appreciate the insights you have provided us.

We are pleased that you are generally satisfied with our service and are grateful for your kind words concerning Nordia. We have taken note of your comments on our food and have shared them with our chefs. It is good to know that you enjoy our breakfast; our chefs will continue to work on further improving the overall food quality consistently.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Alain Mahillon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Having stayed in a number of Hilton hotels in Europe and Australia, the Hilton Singapore is certainly the best I have stayed in of the chain. Rooms are spacious and modern, gym is well maintained and serviced, roof top pool is great for a dip (and deep!) and staff are helpful and polite. Great location close to shops and restaurants and only a short cab to Clarke Quay. For business travellers this is a excellent choice and well priced, and for shoppers it is the perfect location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bluehammer
Dear bluehammer,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Singapore, we truly appreciate your kind compliments!

My team and I take great pleasure in knowing that we met your expectations and that you felt well looked after during your stay.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This Hilton is located conveniently on Orchard road with quick access to shopping, dining and the metro. During my 7-day stay at the hotel, I received great service from the front desk, the executive lounge, and the front desk manager (Hasan Nauman).

The guest room was very comfortable but the bathroom is a bit small. The fitness center is adequately large but the temperature (24C) is too high for an exercise room. I did not use The roof-top pool but it looked very nice. The one disappointing part of the hotel was the breakfast restaurant. It is cramped and has an inconvenient layout for food tables. The restaurant tries to offer too many different kinds of ethnic food (American, Chinese, Japanese, and Indian) but none of the cuisines has multiple delicious dishes.

Overall, it is a very good hotel and I would return to this property when I return to Singapore.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 21 or 22 floor for easy access to the Executive Lounge.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Leadbelly98
Dear Leadbelly98,

We very much appreciate your review from your recent stay at Hilton Singapore. We are indeed delighted that you enjoyed your week-long stay with us and that you were happy with our Front Office team, particularly Hasan Nauman, with whom we have shared your comments.

Thank you for your constructive feedback on the Fitness Centre and our breakfast offerings. Rest assured that your comments have been shared and we will move forward with improving on the issues you have brought to our attention.

We look forward to your return to Singapore and our hotel soon.

Tervuren, Belgium
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed in the Hilton at Orchard Rd for 2 nights. Ideal location for shopaholics. The superb botanical gardens are just a 10 minute walk away, what a relief to be able to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Hilton does charge extra for internet access, which I find a disgrace. The room rate is high enough, they shiuld provide this as a complementary service. Apart from that, great.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear degtravel,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Singapore. My team and I are glad that the hotel and our service met your expectations.

As we appreciate the importance of Internet access for our guests, we offer two hours of complimentary access in our public areas. As you have pointed out, in our guestrooms we offer paid Internet access.

We very much appreciate your review and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 29 March 2012

These dated a little small rooms. Executive room had a balcony. Executive lounge was a nice looking and friendly service. Offers the best location.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear BO777,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hilton Singapore. It is nice to know that you had a pleasant stay and were satisfied with our service.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I had booked two connecting rooms for family of four, arrived for check-in at 13:30 and was told rooms not yet available, come back in an hour and a half. Fair enough, so we left our bags and went for a walk, and returned at 15:30 to be told that still only one room was available. At 17:00 the connecting room was still not available so I cancelled it. Not great service considering I'd booked the rooms months earlier and had clearly requested connecting rooms -I was told there are only three such rooms on each floor, but in a room with about 20 guest floors, they should have been able to arrange this. This rather shows they are mainly set-up for business visitors, not families. I am also a Hilton HHonors Gold card holder, and though they gave us free breakfast and late check out the next day which was nice, there was none of the real VIP treatment that some other Hiltons (eg Dubai Jumeirah) have given me, free lounge access etc etc. Staff were polite but businesslike rather than particularly friendly -I found one Singaporean lady much nicer than the two Europeans I spoke to. The room was pleasant, and you can tell it's a classy hotel from the quality of the sheets etc. Marble bathroom with lots of toiletries, slippers etc. Pool area on the roof was pleasant but not amazing or somewhere you'd really stay more than an hour. Breakfast was comprehensive and tasty, but tables pretty close together so a bit of a squeeze. Location is excellent with amazing shops and lots of cafes and restaurants within easy walking distance. It's just over the road from the seedy nightlife of Orchard Rd, which did cause a bit of boomy noise at nigh. Overall then, it's clearly a high-class hotel in a mostly good area; but definitely more for businessmen than families, and a bit below-average for a Hilton. I'd recommend in preference the similar but slightly cheaper and nicer Regent, or the more expensive but much classier and newer St Regis. If you like the Hilton group but are open minded on areas, the Conrad down by the river is in my view a better bet.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel should be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank DavidLD12
Dear DavidLD12,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Singapore; your feedback is much appreciated.

While we are pleased that our room and facilities were generally to your satisfaction, we are very sorry that your check-in experience was below expectations. I apologise for the inconvenience caused, in particular with the availability with your room type request. We take your comments seriously and are using them to retrain our team members to avoid reoccurence.

We thank you for staying with us and hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 27 March 2012

It was all perfect! Nothing extravagant but nothing less that wha you expect from a Hilton brand. Though there's one differentiating factor from many other Hilton or similar hotels I have stayed over the world. The People and their behaviour. Everyone was always smiling and trying to do one extra bit to make life smoother for their guests - not a regular experience in every hotel in this category.
Location is awesome - Towards one end of the Orchard road. 2 mins walk to the Orchard MRT and all the Orchard malls with shops and food courts are within easy walking distance.
Taxis are readily available though towards the morning you may need to budget 10 extra minutes.
We stayed for 4 nights - though spent most of the days and evenings outside; whenever we returned to the hotel we knew that a cozy, comfortable room waiting for us with all these lovely people around.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear mnk73,

We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed a comfortable stay at Hilton Singapore.

Thank you for your kind compliments and feedback on the hotel and especially the team and their service. Indeed, ensuring the comfort and well-being of all our guests is very important to us.

It was a pleasure to have you and your family with us and we hope to welcome you back in the future.